Recommendation? Recommend me a flashlight

Size, weight, output, run time, batteries, impact resistance, modes, buttons, throw vs spread, even heat dissipation are all different priorities for different people. Maybe if you listed a few more things you are looking for that might help with suggestions.

I've had good experiences with inexpensive Brinks to expensive Surefire with different brands in between. Nowadays, you can get pretty high output LED flashlights even from HD.

Personal preferences examples: I don't often use the highest mode on my lights for everyday use because it hurts my night vision. Some of my friends prefer higher output lights because they are working under a vehicle in a bright shop, and need to see into the unlit crevices. Similarly, I don't care about a 0.5 lumen moonlight mode while some people won't purchase a flashlight without one.

I have different lights for EDC at different times. Right now, my most carried is an EagleTac Clicky, but I also keep a Nitecore rechargeable in my briefcase/work bag. I have a rechargeable Fenix on my bed stand, and I usually take the Surefire when I travel or when I ride late at night.

I also have a handful of emergency keychain flashlights that I have stashed in different kits. They use those hearing aid batteries. Put one on your keychain with a leatherman Squirt and you have a lot of bases covered in a small package.

The Fenix PD 35 Tac is a real nice light plenty bright ... options on batteries and brightness levels ... plus the strobe feature ... and hard to beat in that price range

If you're not opposed to exploring other batteries, an 18650 battery will outperform everything of similar size in every way, and there are plenty of excellent EDC lights out there running on a single 18650. (You'll need a charger, too.)

My EDC light for jeans weather is a ZebraLight sc62w, and it's an incredible light. It's been discontinued and replaced by the sc63w, which I've heard is just as good. Comes in under your budget, although a quality battery and a charger would take you over $100. The UI is one of the best things about this light, and about ZLs in general: It's simple, useful, and configurable.

My favorite AA light is the ThruNite T10. For EDC, I prefer to either go larger (the ZL) or smaller (my keychain light, a MecArmy IllumineX-1), but when I just need a small light and don't want to worry about special batteries, I often reach for the T10.

I'm looking for bright and compact. Not to break my wallet open. Something durable. I think both the Fenix and the Olight check my boxes, so it will probably be a choice between the two. I'm also going to try a Zebra down the road. I'm not jumping down the worm hole here, so I think the suggestions I was given were pretty good. I know there are as many factors going into flashlights as there are knives, and I wouldn't even being to try and pretend I even know what half of that stuff means in real world applications. Bright, strong, and cheap is about as good as I get right now. Thanks for the suggestions, I will update when I order! I'm really liking the flashlight world, I've learned more in this mornings research than I ever thought possible. There are a million different factors and applications out there. :D

the Fenix PD35 Tac you're looking at ... one reason I orginally got it that it can run on 2 CR123 batteries or one of the 18650 rechargable batteries and has several brightness levels and the strobe feature ... and its plenty bright for anything unless you want a long throw search light outdoors ...and it does a decent job of that also

Good point. The more I look at them, the more I think the Fenix would be excellent for my travel bag and hiking bag. I like low ride clips for edc. I noticed the Fenix clip was positioned quite a bit lower on the body of the light than the Olight.

I have most of the lights mentioned. I think 18650 is the way to go. I say the best performers are the Zebra lights sc600III hi or flood plus, once you get used to the ui. The pd 35 is a good flooder with a momentary tail switch, but cycling through the modes can be a bit of a drag. The cycle switch can be hard to find sometimes. The zebras take a short unprotected cell because of the size, and the ui can be a pain if you aren't used to it, but the sc600 III hi and flood are the best size performance lights that I know of. The nitecore mh20 and mh20gt are also good.

Last edited:
Reactions: BP_
I think the next one I pick up I will take the advice and give the 18650 batteries a try. I looked up the Nitecore it seemed like a pretty decent light as well. Definitely on the list for consideration in the future.

+1 on the titan plus. or even the titan. I carry the plus all the time every day. if I use it a lot I change the battery every 2-3 weeks. and AAA's are cheap. Not that I have anything against CR123's, but my G2X Pro doesn't fit my pocket as well.
I usually stick with Surefire, sometimes Maglite and Streamlight (their US made products). I like to buy American when it's reasonable to do so, flashlights and knives are on that list for me (though I do love some of the European knives like Moras, but I digress).

I'm not sure what the warranties are from companies like Fenix but I assure you they can't touch Surefire's warranty.
I love simple, I don't ever go for flashlights with 8 different settings and strobes and other bells and whistles.

Have fun shoping!

Food for thought. I'm sure most people know about these accessories but for those who don't. Diffusers are cheap and handy when you need them. Camping, hunting or whatever.
xBtE0f7.jpg

Hand held or hanging light bulb.
L4dofdF.jpg

Pitch black bathroom. 235 lumens

Thanks. It seems like the S1 and S2 are little powerhouses for their size, just looked them up. I don't know about quality or longevity so I'll do some more research.
Have had one (S1) in my pocket for over a year. Last May 2016 lost it somewhere, found May 2017. Evidently dropped out of my pocket dropping off daughter at sleep away camp. Saw it on directors desk dropping of daughter a year later at same camp. Spent a year in the grassy knoll on college campus with mowers, kids, families, frisbee, drinking, mud sliding, etc. Director found it the day she arrived (2017) on the way into dorm and put it on her desk. Gross and muddy, but worked like a charm, cleaned changed battery and GTG. Bought 4 more online the next day and put them away in the closet.

I have had several Surefire G2 lights. Some have been dropped numerous times and otherwise mishandled without any ill effects. They are nice to handle when really cold. I think that the original G2 may have been discontinued, but the new ones have dual outputs and clicky caps. I have had a G2x 320/15 for awhile. IIRC, it cost about $50 shipped.

You can still find the original G2 for less than $25.

If you are interested in a light in the same form factor as the Olight, look at
the foursevens Min Mk II Combo. It come in copper, Ti and aluminum with a neutral tint at 980 lumens. $60

IMG_1837.jpg

I went ahead and picked up an Olight, and I'm already shopping for my next one :D

I've been afraid to get "too small" because I like at least a handful. But, now that I've got that twice over, I'm really considering something smaller. The 2-2.75" range rather than the 3-4" range. I like the options and suggestions, I appreciate them! Never really knew there were so many quality lights.

I have had several Surefire G2 lights. Some have been dropped numerous times and otherwise mishandled without any ill effects. They are nice to handle when really cold. I think that the original G2 may have been discontinued, but the new ones have dual outputs and clicky caps. I have had a G2x 320/15 for awhile. IIRC, it cost about $50 shipped.

You can still find the original G2 for less than $25.

^ ^ This^ ^
The G2X Pro is my go-to nightstand/emergency/bump-in-the-night flashlight (not counting the P2X Fury Tactical mounted to my AR). I think I paid $52 for my G2X. 15 lumen low then 320 high for 2.5hrs! It can't be beat for value, output, ruggedness or dependability IMHO, with the best flashlight warranty to boot.

The LE model is 400 lumens on high with high being the priority setting, 2hrs with CR123's. But I prefer low to come on first.

The world needs more G2X's....

Oh yeah: I also like the polymer flashlight body. Because sometimes you need to hold it in your teeth...and that's never fun with a metal flashlight.

Food for thought. I'm sure most people know about these accessories but for those who don't. Diffusers are cheap and handy when you need them. Camping, hunting or whatever.
xBtE0f7.jpg

Hand held or hanging light bulb.
L4dofdF.jpg

Pitch black bathroom. 235 lumens

Diffuser? :)

Diffuser? :)

Diffuser:
In optics, a diffuser is any device that diffuses or spreads out or scatters light in some manner, to give soft light. Diffuse light can be easily obtained by making light to reflect diffusely from a white surface, while more compact optical diffusers may use translucent objects, and can include ground glass diffusers, teflon diffusers, holographic diffusers, opal glass diffusers, and greyed glass diffusers. :)

I own several flashlights high high end and lower price point. For compact and under $100 I would highly recommend the olight s1 turbo for around $70 comes with magnetic charging cable and is an all around awesome flashlight. Both cheap and has 5 settings I believe...up to 900 lumens on turbo mode. I've owned the turbo for about 3 months and have found nothing negative to say about it for the price point.

Diffuser:
In optics, a diffuser is any device that diffuses or spreads out or scatters light in some manner, to give soft light. Diffuse light can be easily obtained by making light to reflect diffusely from a white surface, while more compact optical diffusers may use translucent objects, and can include ground glass diffusers, teflon diffusers, holographic diffusers, opal glass diffusers, and greyed glass diffusers. :)

Yeah...I was trying to be clever because it looks like 'more' than a diffuser. :)

Back