Recommendation?

What would be a good knife to start with, folder and fixed blade?
I really like the Bravo Oe, but. I wish i could find it in D2. So is it safe to say the D2 version of this knife discontinued? Did production on these move from Italy to Taiwan or were they always made in Taiwan?

The Mike One is also very nice and looks like a comfy folder. Niolox is a new to me steel, I have not used it but I would like to have a good folder in that steel to use. I do like larger blades/cutting edges, the thumb disc is also for one hand opening.

Pohl Force offers a good selection of both folders and fixed blades, and when trying to make a choice on the first knife whether folder or fixed is a personal decision. I am happy to share my thoughts however and then I will get to your specific questions :)

The Bravo is a great little folder and has a proven track record. Ideal size for EDC. Blade length 3.26 overall weight 3.88 ounces . There is in fact only 1x of the former Bravo series available at the moment which is the Bravo One Survival Gen 2 which uses 440C but good news is that the new Bravo Gen3 will be with us in a few weeks. I will be posting more info's on this when I have it. We will be at the USN gathering in Vegas in a few weeks so if anyone is interested to see the new Bravo I will have a couple with me.
So... the Bravo may well be worth waiting for. For me, depending on your budget I would go with the Mike, this knife has it all !

With the exception of the EOD (Euro Ops Division) range of knives Pohl Force knives are manufactured in Taiwan. All EOD knives are manufactured by Lionsteel . All QA regardless of place of manufacture is carried out in Biebertal Germany at Pohl Force HQ. Incidentally all QA is carried out by Dietmar Pohl personally.
So.. knives produced in Taiwan include currently: Bravo,Alpha,Charlie, Lima,Hornet,Romeo EOD knives Manufactured by Lionsteel in Maniago, Italy: Mikes One,Three and Four / Quebecs,Foxtrots, November, Kilo

A few points to note about our knife range, we do not blanket the market and confuse the customer with thousands of models, we are very selective and often the knives have a particular or specific application. These are working knives, in general extremely tough but in my opinion still remain very attractive in appearance.

Niolox Steel is maybe one of the lesser known steels however we have had good feedback and have used this steel in several models. The edge holds very well, there is less need to sharpen as regularly as some other steel types, but some have said it wasn't the easiest steel to sharpen should you lose the edge completely. I have a Mike One Tactical myself as my workhorse - it gets worked HARD, and I have had no problems at all.

By the way - as a fixed blade I would recommend the November One ... great knife!

Thanks for the reply. I will gladly wait for the Gen3 Bravo. I'm interested in that knife but in a 4" blade. The Mike is probably going to be a given, I'd really love to see the back lock remain in the line up though.

I now have 2x Bravo Gen3 's , basically final prototypes, I will be showing these at the USN Gathering. This is a really nice little knife. The Mike One Outdoor continues to be available but the Survival version (black PVD) is slowly being phased out. The Mike Three and Four are now available and I will be starting a thread on those soon. The only back lock remaining is the Alpha Two Survival Gen2 , the back lock still continues to be popular although fewer models seem to be available.

I can't find too much difference in Mike 1 vs. Mike 3: Titanium vs. aluminum; reversible pocket clip vs. butt end pivot pocket clip; lanyard location; less than on ounce in weight; blade thickness a tad more robust in the the Mike 1; stone wash vs. satin; a nice price break in favor of Mike 3; glass breaker added. Well, maybe that's a lot of difference but still keeping the same great style.:)
Did I miss anything else Phil? Oh yeah...an over travel stop on the Mike 1 missing on the 3.
I mentioned on my other post that I'm left handed. Between the Mike 1 & 3, would there be any disadvantage between one or the other as far as handedness is concerned?
greg

Last edited:
Hi Greg, apologies on my belated reply, I have just gotten back from the USN Gathering and have been trying to re-group a little!
You did well on summing up the differences between the Mike One and Mike Three. I think all things being equal there is a nice price break as you mentioned , with a few changes and additional features, and with absolutely no compromise regarding quality. The knife is offered in both a spearpoint and tanto version. The knife is priced favorably and makes it much more affordable for many of those who have looked, and hesitated, with the Mike One. The Mike One incidentally will continue to be in the Pohl Force line up. With regard to handedness , I personally do not see any disadvantages, the ergoe's are awesome and the knife sits very comfortably in the hand. It is a perfect EDC, comfortable, robust, nice size, and even looks pretty ! :)
There is also a Kydex for the knife as an optional extra which is in turn is compatible with both Pohl Force harness systems ( shoulder , and leg adapter).
In all honesty, and this is of course my opinion , you will have to look hard for better folder in this category. :thumbup:

Any pics of the Bravo G3 handy?
Hi RevDevil - will see what I can do, I have 2x Bravo G3 's on the way back from the USN Show in Vegas, should be here by Friday. I will get a chance on the weekend to get some pics done and posted . I think you will like it, its a cool little knife.:)

I should be receiving my latest purchase of the Mike 3 in a couple of days. I have lately gravitated to switching between only two different knives for carry, so it will be interesting to see if the Pohl Force will fit in the mix somehow or be one that I pull out to admire from time to time. Either way, I'm excited for the addition to my family.
Btw: Great pics of beautiful Utah, Phil and hope you didn't loose too much at the tables in Las Vegas .:)

Thanks for the feedback on the Utah adventure, this was an effort to try and create something interesting with good images but incorporate a few knives, which of course everyone here wants to see !! Not too much response to the thread but we are really just getting going here and don't have the same traffic as many other 'makers'.
The Mike Three is a nice knife, a knife in my eyes that wants to be 'used' as with almost all Pohl Force knives, that said it certainly looks good as well! Let me know your thoughts once you have managed to give it a work out, I would be interested to hear. As far as playing the tables, its always a temptation but as we were so busy I was able to resist! :distracted::distracted:

Back