recommendations for a power machine needed

I am strictly a hobby knife maker and therefore a hobby sheath maker by default.
I currently use a Tippmann Boss but due to my shoulder deciding it no longer wants to work properly I may need to switch to a power stitcher.
Can anyone give me a list of brands and models they would recommend for making sheaths?
I see all sorts of used machines oferred as leather sewing machines but few of them would work for a 1/2 inch thick sheath. But some of them would and I would like to know which ones to look at.
Any recommendations on who to deal with on a new machine would be welcome as well.
Thanks
Steve

Steve if I were in your shoes hands down I'd look at the Cobra 4.

Steve, I would second the Cobra line of machines. The Cobra 4 would do about the same weights as your Tippmann but they now have flat bed machines that could handle heavier weights also. I'd give Steve or David a call at Leather Machine Co. (Cobra) and discuss it with him. Tell him what you are trying to do and he will guide you accordingly. All of my machinery is Cobra and I am way more than just satisfied.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul,
Good to see you're still busy, was trying to find info on keeping verdigris off sheaths, my Randall Rivited sheaths are a pain to keep clean, any new ideas?
You've made me several sheaths through the years and they are the best, you may remember me my brother in law is a game warden who lives not far from you

RW, the only thing I've found that keeps the verdigris in check is a special grease. I believe it is called "elbow grease". Inspect regularly and clean accordingly....sad but true. Keep warm!

Paul

I'm happy with my Toro 3200 Artisan.
20170208_193022_zps4oikm2da.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I just got a Cobra 4 P. I don't have any other experience - but I will say this - Steve and company sent me out a Machine that worked a DREAM right out of the box. The transaction was flawless - the packaging was amazing - and I literally was sewing in about 1/2 hour after carrying the parts to my shop.

You may not need all the size of a Cobra 4 - but I would hate you regretting a 3 for the little difference there is in cost. I went with the P because getting all the different feet - feed dogs - needles - guides - and plates - later would have cost me a lot more.

I have noted that Paul used to sew on an Artisan and I have heard good things about them - but when Dave and Paul, who both do what I want to do with leather - both rock the same machine and the customer service was SO top notch - it made it a no brainer.

Jason

Pretty sure they are identical except for the color. One runs more expensive though.
Pick the nearest dealer for your choice if it's between the two.

I like the plug for where to buy one. :thumbup:

Mine is the full table. I'm sure either one since they seem to be the same will work just fine.

My decision was based on the dealer is only 10 miles away. He threw in large spool of thread and a drawer full of extras.

Last edited:
Makael,

I agree - the service and the dealer being local is worth GOLD.

The Cobra 4 P comes with a removable table - but it is still a cylinder arm sewing machine.

Jason

They are identical. Mine has the removable table as well. The only difference is the style of table you choose your set up.

Mine is full width, table can be raised for standing position or seated. I like the flat table extension just above arm for flat work. Short table extension is removable for cylinder arm operation. Here are a me pics.
Machine ran me 2300.00

20170212_200355_zps4vmpnhyk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170212_200415_zpseiuegz8u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170212_200405_zpstunsaimq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170212_200457_zpslyjyhqub.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20170212_200412_zpsnduyousq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Makael,

What type of feet and plates did that come with? Or were those optional beyond a Left presser and an open toe center foot? Did it come with any Plates or guides?

Jason

All came with it. Left, right and center presser feet. One adj roller guide, which I like alot.

They are so similiar if not exact I'm sure you will enjoy yours as well.

After a couple of months of soul searching (and piggy bank robbing) trying to decide between a Tippman Boss or a power machine, and realizing in the end game what you get for your money for a power machine vs. the Boss, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a Cobra 4-P. I hope it makes all my wildest dreams come true!

Good luck to you,

Todd

Coongrats Todd!! Keep us informed of your new adventures.

Todd - I have been learning as we go as well - so I may be able to help answer some of the noob questions.

Please don't hesitate to ask.

Jason

I am strictly a hobby knife maker and therefore a hobby sheath maker by default.
I currently use a Tippmann Boss but due to my shoulder deciding it no longer wants to work properly I may need to switch to a power stitcher.
Can anyone give me a list of brands and models they would recommend for making sheaths?
I see all sorts of used machines oferred as leather sewing machines but few of them would work for a 1/2 inch thick sheath. But some of them would and I would like to know which ones to look at.
Any recommendations on who to deal with on a new machine would be welcome as well.
Thanks
Steve
Are you looking to sell your Tippmann?

I actually ended up just training my daughter to run the down stroke arm of the Tippmann. Works like a charm.
Thanks
Steve

Back