Regular or auto

I recently decided that I want to buy a higher-end knife after many years of carrying knives everyday. I'm tired of wearing out cheap knives. So since I recently joined my local fire department and I will be getting training for both fire and emt I have settled on the Benchmade triage (I know many will say just carry a good trauma sheers but this knife will be more of a edc that can help in a pinch). So my question is auto or not? I have handled the manual version and like it but I also like autos (I have a few kershaw speedsafes I like). Looking for advice on both.

The auto is cool and is easier to deploy with gloves on in emergency situations. The manual is thinner and the blade can be closed one handed not to mention the difference in price. Both are solid knives.

When you pull back the axis bar on the manual version, the blade will drop free on it's own and allow you to close it just by using a little flick of the wrist. The auto version will still have spring tension on it when you pull the bar back, so you would have to either use your other hand to fold the blade back in or fold it against your leg or something like that.

I've used the pants leg method, but always prefer two-handed approach for safety.

I generally understand the way to close a assisted knife as I carry a kershaw speedsafe daily, but I can close that one handed. Is the axis auto harder to close than a kershaw? Also does anyone have an opinion on which knife they prefer? I would love to get my hands on the auto version but I haven't been able to find one to play with.

I can't compare the Axis based knife to others like Kershaw, but know the Benchmade's springs are typically quite strong; hard to close with one hand. I prefer the A/O Axis, which is easier to operate.

He is referring to the assisted opening (non-auto) mechanism. Like the barrage, boost, arcane and several others we make.

The auto axis is a little harder to close than any of the Kershaw speed safes that I have. The Kershaws don't really have spring tension until you get it almost closed. I can close them easily with one hand. The auto axis has spring tension all the way to the locked open position. I can close it with one hand, but it takes a lot more effort because I have to hold the axis bar back with my thumb and try to wrestle the blade closed with my index finger. There's a good chance you could lose your grip and have the blade pop back out or drop the knife while trying to close it with one hand.

The autos are fun to play with, but personally I prefer the manual axis lock for use. They can be opened just as easily and closed much easier. I'd say the only advantage on the auto Triage is the auto deploying rescue hook. It would open quicker than on the manual version and locks in the open position, but again, you have to hold the button back with your thumb in order to close it.

Well I think I have settled on the manual version since the axis system is so smooth anyway. Now the only question that remains is do i get the sheepsfoot or the opposing bevel blade. Anyone have a opinion either way on blade style?

Back