Ridiculously accurate .22 rifle

Hey guys, so I've decided to try my hand at biathlon in the future (nothing pro- literally, it looked so cool during the olympics I started cross country last season). So, I've got my nice skis, and then... oh yeah! Need a rifle- duh! Need to do a LOT more range time- haven't really done much rifle anyway, so yeah.

I'm looking for a ridiculously accurate .22 at 50 yards- the target you have to hit prone is a silver dollar (1.8 inches), so when I mean accurate, I mean as accurate as possible.

Seems like the two biathlon rifle makers are izmash and anschutz. Unfortunately, I can't justify the $1000 starting price for a beginner. So, I'm looking for a bolt action (straight pull/fortner would be nice, as that's what pros use, but hey, it'll be awhile before extraction time is high on my priorities to cut time down), optimized for 50 yards, .22. I'm thinking at this time no more than $500, special biathlon sights and all (accurizing, etc.) included. It's going to be a reward after I finish some class stuff, so I'm not going to get it immediately- so I can afford to inquire into obscure brands/rifles, cuz I'm willing to wait a bit.

Thanks in advance guys,

Zero

I have a friend here in Canada that got into Biathlon recently. He is a member of a local club that has their own rifles, which he gets to "check out" in some fashion, so he can practice on his own time. This might be a good option for you, if available where you are.

I'm no gun expert, but from what I know, that last little fraction of a percentage of accuracy is what you need in high-accuracy shooting... and that's what costs the most. You might be able to find a used biathlon gun somewhere, but I doubt you'd be able to find a hyper-accurate gun for $500.

One place you might check out is the "Rimfire Central" forum. As the title indicates, it's dedicated to only rimfire firearms, and there are people there into all aspects of rimfire shooting.

Good luck!:thumbup:

I used to be into .22 rimfire benchrest shooting. Targets were at 50 yards. You can check out what the targets look like here: http://ara.benchrest.net/images/ARA_Target.pdf

Before I spent $3000 on a custom benchrest rig, I shot with a CZ452. I competed a few times with that rifle and I was able to beat out quite a few guys with their $3000 rifles. Not enough of them, however, so I got one myself.

Back to the CZ452, though. It is the most accurate .22 you can get for under $850. Hands down. Stock, at 50 yards and with good ammo, you can get consistent .25"-.35" groups.

You can trick out a Ruger 10/22 for any budget, but it's still going to be a 10/22. Voquartsen has anything and everything to rice up your plinker

In my younger days, I took my Remington 514 (bolt action, single shot) to the ROTC range. Shooting from a prone postion with no sling and the standard open V sights, I could put a group on the target at 50 yards as tight as one of the ranges target rifles.

My dad paid $5 for it at a garage sale in the early 70s. It was used at a boys camp shooting range.

conclusion: make sure you do your range time.

Ric

I am going through the same process. In order to keep me from jonesing for a while, I grabbed a Ruger SR-22 which is basically a 10/22 dressed up like an AR-15, with 10/22 guts, 0.75" barrel, etc. Slightly more accurate than a Plain Jane 10/22, but not much.

This will keep me busy while I bake a more accurate 10/22 and figure out what I want. I'll start with a 10/22 receiver, and go from there. Looks to be sort of a fun project. I know you are looking at a bolt action so a 10/22 isn't what you are after, but I thought I would throw it in there. I'm getting back into .22 shooting, because you can pull the trigger 500 times for $20.

Maybe take a look at rimfirecentral.com, which might give you some ideas and good counsel.

IMG_7669.jpg

Ruger SR-22, Aimpoint CompM, Harris bipod.

IMG_7670.jpg

+1 on the CZ 452.
It won't win you the Olympic gold medal, but it is a superbly accurate rifle straight out of the box, and with a little inexpensive gunsmithing will regularly shoot under half inch groups at fifty yards.
The CZ is a better rifle than most shooters can use, and I doubt you will find a better one to fit your requirements outside the custom makers and many more $$$$.

I own a Zbrojovka BRNO Model 1 which, I believe, is essentially the same as the CZ 452 and it's the most accurate .22 I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. I was drilling a 20 oz soda bottle every time from 80 yards using the iron sights with cheap ammunition. I've got a serious itch to scope it because I know it's a tack driver.

You can trick out a Ruger 10/22 for any budget, but it's still going to be a 10/22. Voquartsen has anything and everything to rice up your plinker

I'd go 10/22 with a bull barrel for best bang for your buck. You can do all the work yourself and VQ has a lot of good parts as Spark said.

Biatholon doesn't allow semi auto. At least it didn't when I did it with the Army Guard.

I would Check with
http://www.biathlon.net/tips.html

You could also join the Army Guard and get on the team and they supply the gear.

Get involved with other Biathlon people and check their resources, IE Used and Club rifles.

Get an air rifle to practice and a exercise bike. Get your heart rate up and then shoot some pellets.

Paul

I have heard good things about the CZ rifles, I personally own a savage .22 and can say it is also very accurate. It can be had at around 200 bucks and with iron sights I can shoot shotgun shells at 100 yards with it. Whatever you decide, make sure to get LOTS of range time.

-Alex

1.8 inches at 50 yards isn't that difficult off the bench. It's standing there after skiing a few miles with a bunch of hardass Russians and Germans shooting against you that must make it tough. I have several CZ 452s, and they all could meet that accuracy standard right out of the box. I would say get the one with the ladder iron sight. Then, if you start to really get into the sport, put a competition sight on it that you can eventually move to an Anschutz

1.8 inches at 50 yards isn't that difficult off the bench. It's standing there after skiing a few miles with a bunch of hardass Russians and Germans shooting against you that must make it tough. I have several CZ 452s, and they all could meet that accuracy standard right out of the box. I would say get the one with the ladder iron sight. Then, if you start to really get into the sport, put a competition sight on it that you can eventually move to an Anschutz

The irons on the CZ 452 are outstanding.

my452traineruo0.jpg

my452trainertangentsighig7.jpg

The Browning T-Bolt is one of the most accurate 22s I've ever shot, but they're pricey.

Take a look at the Savage or the Marlin. The basic guns are pretty accurate, they're inexpensive which is good because you'll need to replace the sights. The Savage with the AccuTrigger would be my first pick.

I am going through the same process. In order to keep me from jonesing for a while, I grabbed a Ruger SR-22 which is basically a 10/22 dressed up like an AR-15, with 10/22 guts, 0.75" barrel, etc. Slightly more accurate than a Plain Jane 10/22, but not much.

This will keep me busy while I bake a more accurate 10/22 and figure out what I want. I'll start with a 10/22 receiver, and go from there. Looks to be sort of a fun project. I know you are looking at a bolt action so a 10/22 isn't what you are after, but I thought I would throw it in there. I'm getting back into .22 shooting, because you can pull the trigger 500 times for $20.

Maybe take a look at rimfirecentral.com, which might give you some ideas and good counsel.

IMG_7669.jpg

Ruger SR-22, Aimpoint CompM, Harris bipod.

IMG_7670.jpg

Alot of people bash these rifles but I would love to pick one up just for plinking around.

I'll throw an off the wall one out - any of the old Mossberg .22 bolt action rifles. They made several different ones, some magazine fed and some single shot. Many had a Lyman #4 rear sight or a similar Mossberg version. I've shot a few of them and every one was a tack driver. You should be able to find a good used one for well under $500.

Here's a great site for info on them: http://home.epix.net/~damguy/index.html

My customized 10/22 gets .50 groups at 100yds and .25 at 50yds
it has a 24 inch target barrel and leupold 3-12x40 scope

the setup cost me 200$ for the gun 120$ for the barrel and 300$ for the scope (which was allready on my .308)

I like my Rugers but I'm just as happy with my stainless steel Marlin rifles also. I've killed a lot of small game with both the bolt action and the semi auto Papoose break down rifle from Marlin out beyond 50 yds. With the scope once you site it in you could take off a turtle head at that distance with one of these Marlins with relative ease. Some may even do that without a scope. My eyes ain't that good though so for me the scope is needed.

STR

My customized 10/22 gets .50 groups at 100yds and .25 at 50yds
it has a 24 inch target barrel and leupold 3-12x40 scope

the setup cost me 200$ for the gun 120$ for the barrel and 300$ for the scope (which was allready on my .308)

Well, I can get .25" groups at 100 yards.

The hard part is doing it consistently.

You will not find a .22 rifle that will do .5" at 100 yards consistently. It doesn't even have that much to do with the rifle. The .22 round just isn't cut out for it.

Back