• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Ripped off by Dale Reif

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this thread while doing a search for Glen Parrell. To make a long story short, Glen ripped my friend off for around $600 to make a sword. I did find a thread where people were asking about him, but those are a few years old.

BTW, my friend was ripped off around 2000 - 2001. I know his wife had just gave birth to a baby girl during the time he sent the money, and shes in school now.

If anyone has any updated info, please let me know.

I found this thread while doing a search for Glen Parrell. To make a long story short, Glen ripped my friend off for around $600 to make a sword. I did find a thread where people were asking about him, but those are a few years old.

BTW, my friend was ripped off around 2000 - 2001. I know his wife had just gave birth to a baby girl during the time he sent the money, and shes in school now.

Every once in a while we need to be reminded of what kind of a person Dale Reif is.

And now is exactly one of those times! That scum bag still owes me money (don't worry, I really don't expect to ever get it!). All I can say about Reif the Thief is that he better pray I don't come down with a terminal disease!

Reif is a Thief, don't ever let him forget it!

Dang, I bought a beautiful folder made by Reif from The Cutting Edge back in the late 90's. It's very fine, in fact gorgeous.

Unfortunately I have been low on money lately, and listed it along with a couple of other knives with Russell. Both of the other knives sold promptly, but the Reif didn't sell even after having the original price lowered by 10%. And the original price was left than my purchase price a decade ago.

I guess he's not making knives anymore, and the value of the knives he did make has been ruined thanks to his reputation. Too bad...

Mr. Sage,

I am in no way happy to read of your troubles with this maker, however I have a few questions for you.
1) as you have stated many times in this thread, you have never sold a knife by the maker for profit, then why keep going back?
2) you claim to be a man of honor, yet you have commited no less than liable in this thread and have advocated several felonies and bodily harm to this guy at both your hands and others that you would pay to do it for you. Thats not honor sir.
3) Could you please post a redaected copy of your "letter" from the postal inspectors? and also explain why you never actually "allowed" them to follow up" on their "threat letter"?
4) you do know that a federal law enforcment agency does not ask the permission of a citizen to pursue the law correct?
5) You have claimed to be a Marine (again one of honor) to you feel your actions in this thread have brought Honor to yourself or the Corps? has your integrity been impeccable? no need to answer.
6) I have read the entire post, I have seen you claim to have a lawyer involved, but yet not know the laws your quoting, nor know simple legal observances. either your lawyer isnt very good or maybe its you that was stretching a bit?

I understand fully your frustration, I understand you got screwed by a seemingly unhonorable individual. I even understand that while no one made you send full payment
you had expectations that went unfullfilled.

I do not know the maker and will never buy a product from him, largly based upon this thread, however none of the above gives you the right to lower yourself, stretch the truth and flat out lie while trying to achieve your goal.
Sir if you are actually a Marine, I am less of one knowing fellow Marines are allowing themselves to sttop to the level of whining you have done here, as well as comprimise your own honor and integrity.

I hope that this fellow does not have a lawyer, if he has and he reads what you have written here, you will not be getting anything but charges yourself.

Implied threats of bodily harm count sir.

As for the postal aspect, I guess I would have tried everything also, I just wouldnt have lied about it in an open forum.

Good day and good luck.

I have never met Dale Rief, a quick IP check shows I am posting from California,
As I stated in my post, I feel bad Mr. Sage got screwed. I think Rief is indeed a theif and not a very honorable fellow. The OP has a valid complaint and should have been compinsated years ago for his trouble, that is not in question at all.
The OP's child like tantrum and truth stretching is what I commented on.
Two wrongs don't make a right, nor does someone being less that honorable give you a reason to put your own integrity in question.
One does not lower themselves to this level after crying fowl, only to apear that while claiming honor and integrity showing the opposite. Dignity and integrity allow for a warning to fellow blade hobbists surely. This thread could have been just that, a warning with FACTS and truth. Sadly it was not.
This Dale Rief will get whats coming to him, eventually, either by Karma or by Law. Again, of that there is no doubt. This person apears to no longer be making knives, probably as a result of actions like the OP's case.
The Op has every right to cry fowl, just do it with a little dignity and pride. Honor is a tricky thing (shouldnt be but it is). Be above board when your tearing someone else down. Dont stretch the truth to fit your agenda.
Blameing the victim, No, holding the victim acountable for HIS own actions, you bet.
I wouldnt have even posted except for the claim of the PI and USEING the Title Marine in order to garner respect while showing petty behaivior.
Again I am not defending Dale Rief in the least, his actions or his deeds. He seems to be a down right dishonest fellow.

I hope that guy gets mauled by a bear with his family watching:mad:

I was thinking of buying from a custom knife maker and now I am not so sure I want to if people like him are ripping people off

Last edited:
I was thinking of buying from a custom knife maker and now I am not so sure I want to if people like him are ripping people off
I understand your concern, but this POS is by no means how the vast majority of makers do business. I started collecting back in 1988 and can count on one hand the number of makers that are not "Stand-Up" guys. As with everything in life...do your homework, ask around on the forums, you'll find most makers are great.

Larry

ehunter72, are you seriously telling me you jumped into a discussion on Bladeforums with your first post only because your concept of honor was offended by the phrasing of a man you even admit was really harmed? Do you haunt the internet like Don Quixote, looking for windmills and tantrums to joust with?

You have made yourself part of the entertainment, not part of the solution.

I have never met Dale Rief, a quick IP check shows I am posting from California,
As I stated in my post, I feel bad Mr. Sage got screwed. I think Rief is indeed a theif and not a very honorable fellow. The OP has a valid complaint and should have been compinsated years ago for his trouble, that is not in question at all.
The OP's child like tantrum and truth stretching is what I commented on.
Two wrongs don't make a right, nor does someone being less that honorable give you a reason to put your own integrity in question.
One does not lower themselves to this level after crying fowl, only to apear that while claiming honor and integrity showing the opposite. Dignity and integrity allow for a warning to fellow blade hobbists surely. This thread could have been just that, a warning with FACTS and truth. Sadly it was not.
This Dale Rief will get whats coming to him, eventually, either by Karma or by Law. Again, of that there is no doubt. This person apears to no longer be making knives, probably as a result of actions like the OP's case.
The Op has every right to cry fowl, just do it with a little dignity and pride. Honor is a tricky thing (shouldnt be but it is). Be above board when your tearing someone else down. Dont stretch the truth to fit your agenda.
Blameing the victim, No, holding the victim acountable for HIS own actions, you bet.
I wouldnt have even posted except for the claim of the PI and USEING the Title Marine in order to garner respect while showing petty behaivior.
Again I am not defending Dale Rief in the least, his actions or his deeds. He seems to be a down right dishonest fellow.

You may or may not be defending him, but you sure seem intent on sidetracking the real issue at hand. HMMMMMMM......:cool:

Been away from the community for awhile & was going to do a thread on Rief a few years ago so heres a better late than never thread. I had bought several knives from Dale & met him at the blade show etc.. I sent him 500.00 & some premium mammoth scale material & got the runaround with all the typical excuses. Finally asked him to send a pic of the problem knife which in reality didn't exist. No help from paypal btw on this. His wife got on the phone & threatened me & said some BS about I should be happy because I made money selling previous knives from Dale. After talking to George Werth who also got smoked by Mr. Rief we concluded it wasn't worth sending a gentlemn to coerce our dough from Dale. He escaped this time but if I ever see him he's subject to be light a few ivorys. LOL

Oh so his wife is a nasty c*nt too. Probably spending all your hard earned money on cheap jewelery and tacky clothing

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back