RMD at Altitude

Tim the Wizard

Street Samurai
Gold Member
I'd like to share some photos from a hike with the RMD at 5500'. These are from the Craggy Gardens area of Western NC off the Blue Ridge Parkway. Just down the road is Mt. Mitchell, which is close to 6700' from sea level and as such is the highest point in the U.S. east of the Mississippi.

This is a panorama of the hiking area posted as a sneak peak last night.

UV4Bxlf.jpg

New photos added 07/20:

EjB87sq.jpg

CG is a relatively short trail but we were able to take some side paths and explore a little bit in the Pisgah National Forest for a few hours. The area is known for bear, elk, Junco birds, and a variety of flora and fauna. Recently, there was an assault of deviant nature in this area and the case is still open. Between my RMD and my Blackhawk, however, as well as my ugly mug, we felt generally safe on and off trail. Aside from humans, bear, and ungulates, there are timber rattlesnake, copperheads, and malignant arthropods.

These photos were taken with a cell phone and subsequently corrected using software. I try to present them as photo-accurate as I can. Due to limitations of the camera, some will appear wistful, whereas others sharp and clear. Nevertheless, they are mine in all of their variability and I invite you to walk with me awhile.

FwSrGyx.jpg

The paths varied from tight paths through grass knolls covered with butterflies and flowers to dark, slightly damp rocky paths through gnarly and burly trees.

ubnUytP.jpg

I am not a botanist but I am going to try for some amateur identification. If any of you can correct, confirm, or provide information on the plants I would appreciate it.

This one appears to be White Bergamot or Monarda clinopodia.

bJyFf47.jpg

This next one is easy:

Wild blueberries just beginning to get fat. They should ripen up pretty soon and make the bears happy.

PdbcWU1.jpg

Anyone know what these plump, delicious looking red berries are? Maybe some type of toxic nightshade... maybe some type of cherry... I have no idea and my interest in experimentation is low...

naj31Dr.jpg

This next one looks like Phlox paniculata, or purple kiss, a common perennial flower with a velvety texture and blow your mind deep purple and pink display.

p7TLrqu.jpg

More purple flowers in this dream-like field with a subtle rainbow and sunbeams on display.

4qg8KGU.jpg

Absolutely stunning Tiger Lily

DCU2lVi.jpg

Gear shot of a masterfully done flame-kydex sheath for RMD by David Brown. This sheath has carried 4 RMDS until I finally settled on this Blade 2017 variant with safety orange g10 and Midnight Blue coating. I was able to bring the blade in through the secondary market here and I appreciate the hog that helped make that happen for me.

idGd9mt.jpg

Swamp Rat Ratmandu on some particularly gnarled wooden arches. It almost looks like a shrine to the old ones. There are stories in this wood...

hmwXWQG.jpg

This one has my edge on it and I assure you it is as sharp as it looks

dnCA44t.jpg

meta-shot of my wife admiring the knife. She says the RMD just feels right to hold.

ccIJlkS.jpg

And her work in all of its glory:

Zpnaqrf.jpg

This rat tends to sparkle a bit in direct light... it has been a knife that has served me well by many a fire. I'm not in the habit of cutting much down in national forests but I was happy to have it by my side and use it as a vehicle for sharing the journey with you. Rest assured, it is bound for work this evening and for years to come. Thanks to Jerry, Garth, Amy and crew for supporting the model and thanks to all of you reading this for your commentary and for sharing your adventures along the way.

Last edited:
Thanks for the comments. I just added narrative and more photos to the original post.

Last edited:
The leaf pattern on the berries matches Solomon's Seal, Polygonatum biflorum.

If so, the berries are not edible, but other parts of the plant are reported to have medicinal properties.

http://www.thepoisongarden.co.uk/atoz/polygonatum_odoratum.htm said:
How Poisonous, How Harmful?
Contains saponins but in a fairly small amount. Also contains a small amount of the cardiac glycoside, convallamarin, but the quantity is so small that there are no reported cases of poisoning. Ingestion of a very large quantity would be required but the plant is frequently subject to predation which means that it does not form the berries which might be attractive enough to encourage consumption.

...John Gerard claimed it was a panacea for wounds and bruises of all sorts saying that it ‘taketh away in one night, or two at the most, any bruise, black or blue spots gotten by falls or women’s wilfulness, in stumbling upon their hasty husbands fists, or such like’.

Last edited:
Very cool! Love the pics... I have not been to the Blue Ridge Mountains in many, many years. My dad has a friend there (ret. military) with a large property; the friend first taught me to shoot/ handle a handgun and rifle when I was a boy. Thanks for posting... and, of course, great RMD!

Amazing pics. Thanks for sharing.

The section about "part of me doesn't want to die" made me spit water all over my keyboard. Too funny.

Garth

Back