Rough-Forged Traveler's Celt Test Piece

Aren't we as a group supposed to be promoting and appraising 'real' tools and refusing to stand around mute while 'flavour of the month' gizmos and fashionable junk are being flaunted?

No. According to who? Where can I find the rules that state what we are "supposed" to be doing? I thought this was a place for enthusiasts of all types. If I want to create a completely useless ceremonial piece of art that serves no practical purpose whatsoever and spread cheese sauce with it , who the heck are you to tell me that I can't?

Were you (jb) to believe you'd created something truly useful I can pretty much guarantee you'd have field tested it thoroughly before proffering it forth into the court of public opinion. 42 made the swell-headed mistake of not even bothering to do that.

Baloney. I would enthusiastically show everyone because I thought it was cool and wanted to share. And I would do it without expecting that the resident "know it alls" would come down to tell me how it is and what is and isn't acceptable to post.

This is TAPD at it's finest (which is to say worst). Your post is offensively ridiculous, and not because of your opinion of his tool. Just because of your manner. Take your judgement and shove it.

"It isn't enough that I simply lack an interest in your dumb tool, I must also take a giant crap on both it and the fact that you posted it."

The "tireless self promoter" stated up front that there were maybe 12 of these being made and that their eager owners have already spoken for them. These are not available and not being mass produced. He isn't trying to convince anybody to buy one. You continue to characterize Ben as some sort of late night gizmo hawker with a crappy tool looking for a fool to buy it. That is obviously not the case, so why do you keep pushing that point?

When this thread started I saw it as a simple case of a real enthusiast wanting to share something that excited him with a community that supposedly shares his interest in edged tools. I'm not a buyer for a tool like this, but I still find the thread interesting. Why does it have to be more complicated than that?
Fortytwo is getting exactly what he asked for when he posted this on a public forum. You may not like all the opinions but that is what a forum is for.

I had an old immigrant Portuguese workie on a construction job site tell me (If I were your father.... ) almost the same thing 50 years ago. He hadn't been able to master English over the course of 20 years but he jealously knew that the enthusiastic but naive young kid, that he'd hoped to intimidate with such a derogatory line, was destined for bigger things. Please tell me this isn't you.

No, it's an honest statement. If I saw my own son speak to another in the way you so commonly do, I'd be ashamed. I don't care what you've accomplished in life or what you may yet go on to do--neither is an excuse for going so far out of your way to spit venom at those who have done you no wrong.

Fortytwo is getting exactly what he asked for when he posted this on a public forum. You may not like all the opinions but that is what a forum is for.

Well, while I welcome constructive criticism, I didn't exactly post the thread with that purpose in mind. It wasn't a request for feedback, despite being open to it. I don't mind it when folks don't care for a design of mine, or my own opinions on things. What I do mind is deliberately rude behavior from people old enough to know better.

That may be partially true, but harping on points that are demonstrably false and personally insulting people are not part of the deal.

Exactly. Keep it civil.
The purpose of the forum is to talk about the tools.
If you don't like the tool, say what you don't like about it. Politely. Personal attacks are out of line.

Well, while I welcome constructive criticism, I didn't exactly post the thread with that purpose in mind. It wasn't a request for feedback, despite being open to it. I don't mind it when folks don't care for a design of mine, or my own opinions on things. What I do mind is deliberately rude behavior from people old enough to know better.
By posting it you were going to get feedback. You knew this..

And as he said, there was also an expectation of a civil response. Some of the responses have been far from civil and have bordered on trolling.

Precisely. Naturally I anticipate that opinions will be voiced, and some--maybe even many--may be negative. However, I expect those opinions to be made with civility, and hopefully with constructive criticism that is actually of practical use. Spitting bile is more than just rude--it's a waste of time and energy that could be better put to other more productive tasks.

Aren't we as a group supposed to be promoting and appraising 'real' tools and refusing to stand around mute while 'flavour of the month' gizmos and fashionable junk are being flaunted?

No. This is an axe, tomahawk, and hatchet forum...edged tools with some other associated tools (hammers, clamps, peavys, vices, bark spuds, etc.) thrown in.

But I think I see your problem...you feel like it's your duty to promote and appraise (in your opinion) real tools (whatever your definition is). Personally, I see anything designed and forged for a specific purpose a real tool.

I had an old immigrant Portuguese workie on a construction job site tell me (If I were your father.... ) almost the same thing 50 years ago. He hadn't been able to master English over the course of 20 years but he jealously knew that the enthusiastic but naive young kid, that he'd hoped to intimidate with such a derogatory line, was destined for bigger things. Please tell me this isn't you.

Are you serious with this? He was jealous of you because he knew you were *destined* for bigger things? Haha! What a load of nonsense.

As for the Celt...I like it. I can see how survivalists would want something like this. While I would only have limited use for it, others will use it quite extensively for their purposes. I'd like to hear their feedback once they've tested it. And I appreciate the process posts. The testing is the interesting part. Otherwise no one would post anything until it was complete. That'd be like saying "Hey here's this car I restored. Cool huh? Progress pics? No...why would anyone want to see an unfinished project?"

Last edited:
As for the Celt...I like it. I can see how survivalists would want something like this. While I would only have limited use for it, others will use it quite expensively for their purposes. I'd like to hear their feedback once they've tested it. And I appreciate the process posts. The testing is the interesting part. Otherwise no one would post anything until it was complete. That'd be like saying "Hey here's this car I restored. Cool huh? Progress pics? No...why would anyone want to see an unfinished project?"
You making funny's?:)

Ignoring the drama of the thread, I think this is a really cool tool! I could see it being especially useful when paired with a machete and saw. The saw would take care of any bucking and this would make a fantastic and weight efficient tool for splitting large wood and handling carving projects where more material needs to be removed than could be easily done with a knife or machete. Very useful for more expanded camp craft where bringing a full hatchet might not be very practical.

About how much does it weigh? Understanding the limited production, are there any similar tools I could try out?

I'm "out of the office" until sometime tomorrow evening, but I'll reply in greater detail then. It has some heft to it, but not unreasonably so. About the same as a large to medium hatchet head. There's not a lot on the market quite like it in form. The closest thing would be a German-style socketed splitting wedge, but then it has a very narrow and flat "bit".

There's nothing this thing does that a hatchet can't do more efficiently and traditionally.
This is a great site for info about traditional tools.
I think this kind of gizmo-ism deters from the sub-forums credibility.
Maybe it would fit better in another sub-forums.

There's nothing this thing does that a hatchet can't do more efficiently and traditionally.
This is a great site for info about traditional tools.
I think this kind of gizmo-ism deters from the sub-forums credibility.
Maybe it would fit better in another sub-forums.

It's a guy looking forward and back to bring it up to speed. Socketed tools are not a new innovation but interesting :)

Last edited:
a-particulary-large-and-excellent-quality-late-bronze-age-bronze-socketed-axe-head-from-downham-market-norfolk.-sold-1181-p.jpg

Everyone attacking this do realise historically similar tools have been used? Seemed useful enough for people who actually relied on them to survive.

Also whenever something that's not a vintage American axe/hatchet comments get thrown around how they are not as efficient as them, but axes themselves became obsolete because of efficiency. But people are out there using them because the like and enjoy them, imagine how annoying this forum would be every time some one posted felling a tree or something and the thread got flooded with people saying its a useless tool use a chainsaw instead

I'm mostly a lurker but over the last year or two I've noticed a small group that just seem to complain and whine when it's not something in there area of interest. I'm not a big fan of full tang Hawks myself but realise some folk like them and realise they can be useful tools if you look at them for what they were designed and not look at them as something they are not.

I forged a tomahawk the other day and I thought of posting it here but then thought bugger it I can't be bothered arguing with people about how hatchets are better than that toy go get a vintage hatchet etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's been put off posting work here either.

Sorry for the rambling but things seem to be getting worse around here

I was just suggesting custom gizmos should maybe go in the custom gizmos sub-forum
This site has one.
And then it won't seem so out of place.

Was intended as constructive criticism.
Don't take it so hard.

I think there's room for other gizmos here. Hell, we have a shovel thread and a crosscut saw thread. What's the difference?

Edit: We also have a 'Forks' thread and a improvised weapons thread. It's pretty diverse in this forum. And I for one like it that way.

Back