Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

One of my favorite mid sized RR's, is this two spring, four blade stockman. The only thing that would make it absolutely perfect, would be to swap the pen or spade with a sheeps foot. To make it a slightly better whittler combo. Originally from the Colt Black Stag Bone Series (CT429). I used some RIT dye blue/purple mix.....just for fun. I actually like how it turned out. But did keep an original unaltered 429 for my series set.

I also like the Colt CT430. But not very carry friendly as a four blade, four spring knife. Quite the chunker, but great "little" knife.

51bty8.jpg

2e3cp06.jpg

•••••••••••••••

Sent from my mind....using Tap-a-Thought. (tm)

I purchased the RR907 (jack knife) and RR571 (sort of a peanut) a few months ago (both jigged bone). I'd put either up against a Case knife of similar dimensions any day. I'm a bit of a RR convert.

22 - RR definitely uses a better steel for much less cash. It's astounding what a Brand name and it's loyal fans can charge when price is not your primary focus. It took me all of 2 weeks to get a second RR, then I just won an auction for a green bone handled Trapper. I've discovered that I love the Trapper pattern if the main blade is the California clip point rather than that Muskrat Skinner type. Now let's see if I win those other 2. I need to learn some patience! If I win them, I will have gotten 4 full size Trappers and a Mercator K55K... Help!

I realized that a batch of knives that I ordered around Thanksgiving have never been posted in this RR & Related thread. I'll post my newest Rough Riders in this post, and put my "related slip joints" (mostly Marbles) in a separate post tonight or tomorrow.
- GT
Well, time sure gets away from me these days. :( "Tonight or tomorrow" has turned into "day after tomorrow", but here are the other knives from my Thanksgiving buying spree.

A Marbles stag bone canoe with "etched damascus" blades:
KajII94.jpg

A Marbles ram's horn canoe with an amazing crater on the pile side:
mKPj8eW.jpg

afoMizZ.jpg

An all-stainless Marbles demo knife:
deRN9MZ.jpg

A Robert Klaas small canoe in red bone:
RBT8nNX.jpg

NaMJfMc.jpg

And I don't know if this Chinese Buck canoe in honey bone needs to be relegated to this thread, but here it is:
kRVOjc8.jpg

uqvKOBu.jpg

- GT

My interest in rough riders is on and off, I have a few but this 5 blade sow is my favorite. Really cool knife, very comfortable in hand but a potato in the pocket. I may get another version next time I go on a RR kick.

28brale.jpg

c284db83704e3f437b219675be1f3ebe.jpg

My current favorite improved muskrat pattern. Currently getting the delrin scales replaced with natural micarta.

I just posted this over in the Whittling Corner thread, but it's a Chinese Taylor Schrade, so I think it fits. I can't wait to get one of these. Might not be real pocket friendly, but I haven't seen a picture with the blades closed.

New for 2017, I don't see it available anywhere yet.

I just posted this over in the Whittling Corner thread, but it's a Chinese Taylor Schrade, so I think it fits. I can't wait to get one of these. Might not be real pocket friendly, but I haven't seen a picture with the blades closed.

It sure fits as a "Related", R8shell. :)
Interesting blade selection. I hope they sell a lot of them. It's not every day a new pattern comes out.

Wow! Interesting! I might have to get one of those. Unique, definitely!

Alex

My interest in rough riders is on and off, I have a few but this 5 blade sow is my favorite. Really cool knife, very comfortable in hand but a potato in the pocket. I may get another version next time I go on a RR kick.

28brale.jpg

That was my first RR as well but yellow handled instead of the red jigged. Great value blade!

Just received these two in the mail. I missed out on the Colt copper stockman, so I'm happy to see it moved over to the RR line. The other is a high carbon "bow" trapper. I'm interested to see how it sharpens and holds an edge. Interestingly the box states high carbon but blade is marked 440. However a little vinegar on the blade tip brought a quick patina where it is not coated. The fit and finish on these is exceptional. No liner gaps, blade wobble, or rub. Plus extras like nice blade swedges, and pinched rattail bolsters.

Last edited:
.... I'm interested to see how it sharpens and holds an edge. Interestingly the box states high carbon but blade is marked 440. However a little vinegar on the blade tip brought a quick patina where it is not coated. The fit and finish on these is exceptional. No liner gaps, blade wobble, or rub. Plus extras like nice blade swedges, and pinched rattail bolsters.

They told me at the store that SMKW ships their 440A from here to China for their knives. That is what I was told. No knowledge past that.

Davemonkey nice pick ups. The blade shapes on the trapper look really good, nice and swooping. Crazy amount of value in those knives.

was just over at the website of them that own the Rough Rider brand.
Seems Rough Rider has 4 Carbon Steel bladed knives now. Canoe, Moose, Sowbelly Trapper, and Regular Trapper.
All have Ti Coated blades, and G-10 handles with pinched nickle silver bolsters.
The "old" Colt carbon steel knives, to be sure, but at the lower Rough Rider prices!
Now if we could just convince them to come out with a large and medium Stockman, and standard size Barlow with carbon steel blades ... and maybe a few more handle choices, to the line ...

Or 8 to 10 times...

I hear you! Or being told to accept low standards of F&F as being part of a production Traditional knife, just use it as a user, type of refrain:rolleyes:

As I 've said before, I've got some RR knives I would never want to part with and I've never felt I've wasted my money. But I certainly have on some other more supposedly 'illustrious' brands....:(

Back