Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

I like a mix of brands. When I visit the "Rough Rider store" and I have time, I'll pick up a couple. Maybe that is a good name for that store since they are not a BF merchant.

Sorry for the terrible picture quality and the size I believe is off. Anyways pictures is a marbles ram horn hawkbill, great build quality just as good as rough rider and I got it over the rough rider as I had read marbles uses real ram horn and not synthetic. Love the hawkbill blade shape very useful. Then I have 2 rough rider copperstone trappers. First one had a lot of small issues (dirt, finish wore off in spot on blade, small scratches etc..) they sent me another one. Knife is beautiful. Now I want the cracked ice one :) Then their is a rough rider yellow mini peanut, only knife of them I've really used much. Great for the price. Then a black g10 rough rider moose with carbon steel (or so it says) but I believe it to be. The little bead is a nice touch and the knife feels like a tank. Then just today I got 2 new knives that reminded me to make this post, a carbon steel steel warrior blue jigged bone trapper. Has slight blade rub but it's beautiful and other then that the scales are good. I mean it was 12 bucks can I really complain? :) and last a boker plus congress in 440c, I paid 10$ for it and it's pretty much a rough rider quality wise but has thinner blades. Probably a price thing being it's 440c. I can't say a single knife I've named I don't feel is worth at least 3 times what I paid. Oh ya I don't have a pic but I recently got a Klein tools 2 blade electricians knife, I paid 11 on eBay from a seller that had acquired a lot but they are usually 20 but worth every penny. Feels like a stick of metal, almost broke my fingernails off opening it when I first got it it's broken in now. Not the best looker but a great user. And they are carbon steel. If anyone would like better quality pics let me know. And beautiful knives everyone!

Last edited:
Boker Plus for $10 is a sweet deal! I've been eyeing a Boker Plus Congress as well. Not sure what scales, but probably won't matter if I score it at $10 ;)

I'm not sure if skinny blades is just part of the congress design or not. But the boker plus model is extremely thin to have 4 blades. Today only after owning one day a blade bent bc of how skinny it is. I will admit I was cutting through a 1 inch abs pipe and it slipped and jabbed into the pipe. So for any harder work a def no no. For opening letters and light widdling etc.. It should fare fine. I was able to bend the blade back but I'm not going to carry the knife to work anymore. Its a beauty for the price. Can someone answer that if extremely skinny blades are a part of the congress patern or is it boker. If its the pattern I would recommend the stockman as most stockmans I have have blades just thick enough for the tougher stuff.

I'm not sure if skinny blades is just part of the congress design or not. But the boker plus model is extremely thin to have 4 blades. Today only after owning one day a blade bent bc of how skinny it is. I will admit I was cutting through a 1 inch abs pipe and it slipped and jabbed into the pipe. So for any harder work a def no no. For opening letters and light widdling etc.. It should fare fine. I was able to bend the blade back but I'm not going to carry the knife to work anymore. Its a beauty for the price. Can someone answer that if extremely skinny blades are a part of the congress patern or is it boker. If its the pattern I would recommend the stockman as most stockmans I have have blades just thick enough for the tougher stuff.

Just bear in mind that widdling on the porch is frowned upon.

I'm not sure if skinny blades is just part of the congress design or not. But the boker plus model is extremely thin to have 4 blades.

It's not part of the design, just the specific model. I've got a Chinese Imperial Congress with fairly fat blades. I've also got a Chinese Böker medium stockman with extremly thin and flexible blades. At first I liked it a lot, but like you I experienced it causes issues when cutting harder materials. Since then I'm a bit wary of buying small to medium sized Chinese Bökers sight unseen (unfortunately the only way for me). I should buy another one to get over this, I'm pretty sure they are not all like this and I'm a big fan of the Bökers produced in Germany.

9b09027485ce39e13c08e0b755a1a098.jpg

adffc96fde310c8517bdd81475dda817.jpg

Just bear in mind that widdling on the porch is frowned upon.
[emoji33]

Mark

Sadly the specs say 0.063 inch blades. But so does rough rider and they are twice as thick. So can't go by the specs

I just got a RR small barlow in white bone in the mail. Peanut length, but a bit beefier. I have to say that I'm impressed. The blade is off center when it's closed, but hey, it cost 10 bucks. Zero blade wiggle, which is what's really important. I've had issues with RR's and Steel Warriors where the dye in the bone wears off, but without dye, this knife doesn't have that problem. The pull is a bit weak, but the snap is good, and the weak-ish pull is OK on a knife this small. A few strokes against a ceramic rod and the blade is arm-hair shaving sharp. Nice little knife for $10. Highly recommended for a cheap little knife to use or to give away as an inexpensive gift.

I just received a discontinued root wood drop point hunter 4" fixed blade. Fit and looks are on par with case and per Frank steel is as good as case. Pretty sharp out of the box but needed a little more on the diamond stone. It's not the first RR I have gotten but it is a very nice knife especially for the money. I pal to stick in the glove compartment so I'll have one in case I forget on a camping trip.

I also picked up a RR Wolverine Heavy Hunter and again a very nice little knife with good wood figure and quality. I think that size along with the sidewinder would find more use the larger heavy hunters.

Last edited:
I picked up this little 3" whittler a few weeks ago and have carried it almost everyday. I like it almost as much as my customs but for different reasons. It makes a nice companion to them. I like it so much that I tracked down one in red jigged bone. Hopefully I'll have it in a few days.

737DE548-2C5D-4C68-9FBA-6C1C04AEC144_zpshersi1ga.jpg

This RR Barlow got used pretty much all last year. Blades are well centered, came reasonably sharp, and are easily re-sharpened. No blatant gaps that jump out at me. Nice bone handles. One thing that I don't see, are any additional pins (tommy pins?) at about mid-bolster, like I can see looking into the bladewell in the few other Barlows that I own. Oh well, it's a good sacrificial user for the price.

QGPlxDG.jpg

Thanks, Moon, for the top view pics of your whittler and the ref to SMKW.

I'm now in the market for a nice, cheap toothpick from them, and started a new thread here to get some comments about all the toothpick brands that SMKW shows. There are a bunch to choose from.
You have to be a little careful with that here as they are not a Blade Forums dealer. I buy my Rough Riders there also and usually in person. I visit the store a couple times a year and usually walk out with an assortment of knives. I enjoy the store a lot, but I can't afford too many visits.

I really like the RR Barlow as well. Nice ff. And I bought my first hawk bill. It works well for pruning etc. and I like it. But not for an edc.IMG_20170419_143642677-1036x1842.jpg

Nice barlow. Is it saw cut bone? Did you put a satin finish on the bolster?

Thank you.
Very observant! Yes, it is saw cut bone. Sorry for the poor lighting. and it had some scuffs on the bolster so I "fixed" it.

Back