Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

Just picked up a RR rams horn bone trapper on a whim. Solid decision. The knife is beautiful. Well put together has nice walk and talk and the fit and finish are pretty solid. The jigged bone looks like rams horn, feels great and the dye job matches perfect. Scales fit snug and flush.
OvrG9f8.jpg

No issues with gaps on the springs and spacers.
CmyGzBf.jpg

The only problem I can see is that the butt ends are about a 1/32 off. Which is no concern to me especially in a 12 dollar knife.

Pretty. Sharp out of the box, and at an unbeatable price. Are they all this nice???
PcqAjYS.jpg

Glennbad on the forum is currently working on an improved muskrat pattern and is putting on new covers for me. I'm excited to see it.

Just picked up a RR rams horn bone trapper on a whim. Solid decision. The knife is beautiful. Well put together has nice walk and talk and the fit and finish are pretty solid. The jigged bone looks like rams horn, feels great and the dye job matches perfect. Scales fit snug and flush.
OvrG9f8.jpg

No issues with gaps on the springs and spacers.
CmyGzBf.jpg

The only problem I can see is that the butt ends are about a 1/32 off. Which is no concern to me especially in a 12 dollar knife.

Pretty. Sharp out of the box, and at an unbeatable price. Are they all this nice???
PcqAjYS.jpg

Great looking knife.
In answer to your question "Are they all this nice??"
Yep. Pretty much. :)

Ok...gotta tell you, I avoided Rough Rider until I found this forum. $12 knives? Um, not for this man! Yeah well, figured you fellas know your stuff, and $12.12 shipped is not going to kill the account. Conclusion? Holy smokes! Got my Strawberry Bone Moose in today and I am floored by it! I have Queens in the collection that are not near as fine as this knife. Smooth opening, half-stop is solid, no blade play, super finish, sharper than most higher priced knives, and built like a tank.

I was so sold on the possibility of an inexpensive knife with decent quality, I also picked up a Steel Warrior Copperhead with an innovative locking blade. Solid and beautiful! No regrets here. Pics to come. I have not been this excited in a long time.

Ok...gotta tell you, I avoided Rough Rider until I found this forum. $12 knives? Um, not for this man! Yeah well, figured you fellas know your stuff, and $12.12 shipped is not going to kill the account. Conclusion? Holy smokes! Got my Strawberry Bone Moose in today and I am floored by it! I have Queens in the collection that are not near as fine as this knife. Smooth opening, half-stop is solid, no blade play, super finish, sharper than most higher priced knives, and built like a tank.

I was so sold on the possibility of an inexpensive knife with decent quality, I also picked up a Steel Warrior Copperhead with an innovative locking blade. Solid and beautiful! No regrets here. Pics to come. I have not been this excited in a long time.

Welcome to the Rough Rider Addiction :)

Here's another of the knives I purchased during my April Fool's buying spree. It's a Rough Rider stainless steel melon tester, 5" closed, with 2 blades, one serrated. Haven't used it yet, but I'll be getting groceries tomorrow, and probably should bring home a melon to test! :D Several more Rough Riders came to me during my knife-buying frenzy; I'll "debut" them during the upcoming week.
lBXOiKk.jpg

clmJh5s.jpg

- GT

Never really put much thought into 440A, but they seem to have a great heat treat. I am afraid the word will get out and prices will go outrageously high! Haha

Never really put much thought into 440A, but they seem to have a great heat treat. I am afraid the word will get out and prices will go outrageously high! Haha
I used my Rough Rider large Sunfish to carve/whittle a piece of aged white oak to make a replacement cabinet part in my truck.
I was impressed. It did not need sharpening or even the strop when I finished. (I stropped it anyway, though. Therapeutic, you know, releaves stress and all that.)

I think it is daRn difficult to beat a Rough Rider for value.

P.S. If you are impressed by the $12 Rough Riders, just wait until you try their $5 to $8 knives, like the Barlow and half hawks. :)
For a real treat, try out the Stoneworx series. The large Stoneworx Stockman I have is amazing. Looks as good as something done by David or Brian Yellowhorse, IMHO.

Two new ones came in the mail for me today. (Thank you so very much, GT.)
The first is a Rough Rider 'ZOMBIE NICK' Canoe, at 3 5/8 inches closed.
Absolutely perfect. Zero blade play, NO gaps anywhere, the bone covers are evenly dyed on both sides, the pins and shield are flush, springs flush opened and closed, about a 5 to 6 pull on both blades.
The grinds on both blades are even, and as typical for Rough Rider, in my experience, are as sharp out of the box as an Opinel or SAK. The blade coating (Ti, I think) give the blades a nice, even black patina look.

The second is a Rough Rider ZOMBIE NICK' 'Elephants Toenail' (or 'Sleeveboard Sunfish' if you prefer.) A fairly large knife at 4 inches closed, but well within my comfort zone for dropping into my pocket.
This knife is also perfect. No defects whatsoever; no gaps, has even grinds, just as sharp out of the box as the Canoe, flush springs, pins, and shield, and even color on the bone covers. This one has a pull of roughly 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 on both blades. It is just a touch harder than the Canoe.

Some may not care for the "Zombie Green" bone, but I like it.
These were two of my "Grail Knives". Both are in my pocket, and will be used.
Thank you, again, Gary.

Steve

I believe the Steel Warriors are made by Frost. The melon tester above looks pretty cool. I'd really like to handle one of them. Not really into metal scales, but I would still like to look at one.

Absolutely perfect. Zero blade play, NO gaps anywhere, the bone covers are evenly dyed on both sides, the pins and shield are flush, springs flush opened and closed, about a 5 to 6 pull on both blades.
The grinds on both blades are even, and as typical for Rough Rider, in my experience, are as sharp out of the box as an Opinel or SAK. The blade coating (Ti, I think) give the blades a nice, even black patina look.

The second is a Rough Rider ZOMBIE NICK' 'Elephants Toenail' (or 'Sleeveboard Sunfish' if you prefer.) A fairly large knife at 4 inches closed, but well within my comfort zone for dropping into my pocket.
This knife is also perfect. No defects whatsoever; no gaps, has even grinds, just as sharp out of the box as the Canoe, flush springs, pins, and shield, and even color on the bone covers. This one has a pull of roughly 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 on both blades. It is just a touch harder than the Canoe.

Thank you, again, Gary.

Steve

I had no idea that someone else liked the zombie nick series. I've been eyeing the sunfish for awhile but still haven't picked one up. That and one of their glow knives are high on my list for the unique factor plus the great quality and low price.

I'm glad that you got a couple knives that you really wanted! Post some pictures.

For under $15, this knife is a home run. I think it would still be a viable hit at 3 times the price. I just wish out of 6 blades ONE of them could have been a cap lifter;)

I know you posted this a little while ago, but if you are still looking for a Rough Rider with a bottle opener, this stockmans got it! it doesn't have six blades, but it seems that three is plenty enough for me. It was also very inexpensive.

IMG_20170526_193942_zpscgiqrrtt.jpg

I've the RR sowbelly in tobacco bone. It's a really nice knife. I numerous RR and never had a bad one.

Rich

Thank you, again, Gary.

Steve
You're welcome, Steve. Glad you like them, and I'm sure they'll serve you well! :thumbsup::cool:
As you mentioned, the zombie green is not really MY thing, but canoes are, so I DO have the Zombie Nick canoe (and carry it proudly :p).
(Neko requested pictures, and I know that's not afishhunter's thing, but Steve, I think I still have a photo of the knives I sent, and I'll post it here if you say the word.)

Here's a Marbles Ram horn toothpick.
gAETM9r.jpg

Very nice, Bloefield! :D That's a pretty big toothpick, right? Does the sheath fit well? Did knife come with sheath or did you buy them separately?

Nice one, Bloefield, I'm carrying my sowbelly today, too.
How do you like the sowbelly?
I've been looking at the Case version but the RR is more in my price range and looks pretty nice on its own.
I've the RR sowbelly in tobacco bone. It's a really nice knife. I numerous RR and never had a bad one.

Rich
I have a Marbles ram's horn sowbelly like Jeff's, a Marbles stag bone sowbelly, and a RR sowbelly like Rich, but amber jigged bone covers. They're all excellent, well-made knives IMHO! :thumbsup: Here are photos of the stag bone Marbles (thanks, Randy) and the RR amber jigged bone:
ehwYjHq.jpg

vSTDZ3n.jpg

- GT

You're welcome, Steve. Glad you like them, and I'm sure they'll serve you well! :thumbsup::cool:
As you mentioned, the zombie green is not really MY thing, but canoes are, so I DO have the Zombie Nick canoe (and carry it proudly :p).
(Neko requested pictures, and I know that's not afishhunter's thing, but Steve, I think I still have a photo of the knives I sent, and I'll post it here if you say the word.)

Very nice, Bloefield! :D That's a pretty big toothpick, right? Does the sheath fit well? Did knife come with sheath or did you buy them separately?

I have a Marbles ram's horn sowbelly like Jeff's, a Marbles stag bone sowbelly, and a RR sowbelly like Rich, but amber jigged bone covers. They're all excellent, well-made knives IMHO! :thumbsup: Here are photos of the stag bone Marbles (thanks, Randy) and the RR amber jigged bone:
ehwYjHq.jpg

vSTDZ3n.jpg

- GT
5k, It's a 5" Marbles Toothpick. The Sheath did NOT come with it, but fits perfectly.
Sorry for late response, had to work.
Harold [Bloefield]

ehwYjHq.jpg

vSTDZ3n.jpg

- GT

Please post the pictures if you still have them. My "smart phone" (or me?) is not smart enough to post pictures.

Back