Rough Rider & Related Slipjoints

5k, It's a 5" Marbles Toothpick. The Sheath did NOT come with it, but fits perfectly.
Sorry for late response, had to work.
Harold [Bloefield]
Thanks for the additional info, Harold; much appreciated. :thumbsup: I have a ram's horn canoe, hawkbill pruner, and sowbelly stockman that are all splendid knives. I've considered getting other patterns in that Marbles series, so it was good to see your toothpick. :cool: (No apology necessary for "late response"; I'm often here for 10 minutes, gone for 10 hours, back for 30 minutes, gone for a day, ... :))

Two new ones came in the mail for me today. (Thank you so very much, GT.)
The first is a Rough Rider 'ZOMBIE NICK' Canoe, at 3 5/8 inches closed.
Absolutely perfect. Zero blade play, NO gaps anywhere, the bone covers are evenly dyed on both sides, the pins and shield are flush, springs flush opened and closed, about a 5 to 6 pull on both blades.
The grinds on both blades are even, and as typical for Rough Rider, in my experience, are as sharp out of the box as an Opinel or SAK. The blade coating (Ti, I think) give the blades a nice, even black patina look.

The second is a Rough Rider ZOMBIE NICK' 'Elephants Toenail' (or 'Sleeveboard Sunfish' if you prefer.) A fairly large knife at 4 inches closed, but well within my comfort zone for dropping into my pocket.
This knife is also perfect. No defects whatsoever; no gaps, has even grinds, just as sharp out of the box as the Canoe, flush springs, pins, and shield, and even color on the bone covers. This one has a pull of roughly 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 on both blades. It is just a touch harder than the Canoe.

Some may not care for the "Zombie Green" bone, but I like it.
These were two of my "Grail Knives". Both are in my pocket, and will be used.
Thank you, again, Gary.

Steve
Please post the pictures if you still have them. My "smart phone" (or me?) is not smart enough to post pictures.
OK, here's a photo of the Zombie Nick elephant toenail and canoe before I sent them off to Steve; sorry the lighting isn't better:
w42CPoO.jpg

- GT

Neko, here is a photo comparing the Case to the RR (same as the Marbles) sowbellies.

089be7e2-6b30-4540-9f65-d583babbb3dd_zps4c169b55.jpg~original

I actually prefer the RR/marbles, as it is slimmer (spine to spring) in the pocket, the steel is just as good if not better, and they nearly always come quite sharp.

I just got a Rough rider canoe, carbon steel series. However, underneath the black titanium coating it plainly says "440 razor sharp steel ". That's stainless. It's in a box that says it's carbon steel. Anyone know anything about this?

I just got a Rough rider canoe, carbon steel series. However, underneath the black titanium coating it plainly says "440 razor sharp steel ". That's stainless. It's in a box that says it's carbon steel. Anyone know anything about this?
That sounds less than ideal, blade chaser! :( Is it model RR1571, with the black G-10 handles? I have what I think is the "ancestor" of that model, made by Colt, and I can't see anything about 440 steel under the coating. Since only the edges of my blades are exposed, I haven't seen any sort of patina one might expect on carbon steel blades. In my case, no reason to suspect it's NOT carbon steel, but nothing other than the maker's claim to think it IS carbon steel. The situation with your knife sounds suspicious, but this is the first time I've heard any doubts about the carbon steel claim.

- GT

That sounds less than ideal, blade chaser! :( Is it model RR1571, with the black G-10 handles? I have what I think is the "ancestor" of that model, made by Colt, and I can't see anything about 440 steel under the coating. Since only the edges of my blades are exposed, I haven't seen any sort of patina one might expect on carbon steel blades. In my case, no reason to suspect it's NOT carbon steel, but nothing other than the maker's claim to think it IS carbon steel. The situation with your knife sounds suspicious, but this is the first time I've heard any doubts about the carbon steel claim.

- GT
Yes it's the RR1571 with the black g10 handles. I emailed the store but so far I have gotten no response.

Hi,

I've had these about a week now.
100_5422.jpg

I've never had these patterns, so it's been fun trying them. The fit and finish is a little variable between the three. The green mini-trapper is far and away the best for fit and finish. I'd put it against any production slippie out there. It walks and talks. And I've come to find that I kind of like the pattern. It's as good a working knife for my day to day use as is my stockman or Vickie Soldier.

The half-whittler is a real surprise to me. It's not quite as good a fit and finish as the trapper, but still pretty darn good. The blades don't quite have the nice snap on opening or closing. And the dye job was not well matched on the jigged bone scales. But I really like carrying it. It's light and easy in the pocket. Didn't think I'd really care for it. I only got it because SMKW didn't have the mini-sunfish I wanted.

The mini-canoe is perhaps the disappointment to me. While I adore the saw cut bone and fluted bolsters. The fit and finish isn't as good as the other two. There is a .004" gap in the back springs on one end. And the a small .0015" between the brass liner and one bolster. (Hey, as a machinist, I measure:)). I know it's not going to prevent it from being a good user. It's just I was hoping that it would be as good the trapper. It's a good slicer though. With a .045 thick main spear point blade it sliced through a cardboard box, a foil pouch, and 2" thick styrofoam with ease. I will continue to carry it, though perhaps not as often as others.

All in all, I like my new knives. Rough Rider provides me with inexpensive slippies to expand my horizons all the while making a good solid knife. Could you imagine if RR offered plain carbon steel at these prices?

dalee

I have looked a long time to buy some RR knives with no luck at finding the patterns I would like. Any advise on how to shop RR would be greatly appreciated.

the main source is that mountain top online/brick store. There are others that contract from them also. Try your googlefu.
Rich

I kinda wish some of the American knife manufacturers would offer some knives with the features of overseas makers. Lockback Trapper...innovative locks like Steel Warrior has on their Copperhead.

Just got a reply from the store. The RR carbon series knives are stainless steel. "High Carbon Stainless Steel".
Misinformation on the ad, and on the box that the knife came in. The box says " High Carbon Steel ". They apologized for the confusion. I'm not confused. They are.

Just got a reply from the store. The RR carbon series knives are stainless steel. "High Carbon Stainless Steel".
Misinformation on the ad, and on the box that the knife came in. The box says " High Carbon Steel ". They apologized for the confusion. I'm not confused. They are.
That's pretty bogus on their part, blade chaser. :thumbsdown: I just went to the website for the store that owns the brand, and first sentence under "Description" of the knife is: 440 formula high carbon steel blades, with titanium coating to resist rust. I suppose the "440" should be a tip-off, but the "high carbon steel blades" is misleading, as is "titanium coating to resist rust". And the "Specs" chart for the knife contains the entry "Blade Material: Carbon Steel". I think you're generous in calling them "confused".

- GT

"High carbon steel blades" is fine, especially with the 440 in front, but "Blade Material: Carbon Steel" is an outright lie. Carbon steel has a specific meaning, and stainless is no part of it.

The store that I purchased from convieniently left off the 440 part. Had I seen that, it would definitely have been a tipoff.

That's unfortunate. I had hoped to see true carbon steel bladed Rough Riders and it looks like even when they say they are, they aren't .

I am satisfied with the knife. It's perfect in every way. I don't have a problem with the 440 stainless. It sharpens easily and holds an edge well. I was just anxious to get one with carbon steel blades.
That's pretty bogus on their part, blade chaser. :thumbsdown: I just went to the website for the store that owns the brand, and first sentence under "Description" of the knife is: 440 formula high carbon steel blades, with titanium coating to resist rust. I suppose the "440" should be a tip-off, but the "high carbon steel blades" is misleading, as is "titanium coating to resist rust". And the "Specs" chart for the knife contains the entry "Blade Material: Carbon Steel". I think you're generous in calling them "confused".

- GT

- GT
Well that's disappointing.
When I got my Schrade Whittlin Jack, I had my doubts so I put a few drops of vinegar on the uncoated part of a blade to test. It is actually carbon steel. :thumbsup: Maybe the Chinese made "New Timers" will put out more patterns in carbon.

I just got a "carbon steel" canoe, and noticed the same 440 markings on the blade! I wish I had read this post before, I thought I was getting carbon steel blades...
Anyways for the price it is a decent knife, though it is rather heavy and thick.

Just got new information about the carbon steel rough rider knives. The store said that they contacted the factory in China that produces their knives. Seems this is the first time they had ever made a non stainless knife for rough rider. They were wrongly stamped 440 razor sharp steel. They actually are carbon steel after all.
I just got a "carbon steel" canoe, and noticed the same 440 markings on the blade! I wish I had read this post before, I thought I was getting carbon steel blades...
Anyways for the price it is a decent knife, though it is rather heavy and thick.

Just got new information about the carbon steel rough rider knives. The store said that they contacted the factory in China that produces their knives. Seems this is the first time they had ever made a non stainless knife for rough rider. They were wrongly stamped 440 razor sharp steel. They actually are carbon steel after all.
Ooh, that's good news.
Now they just need to make a stockman or whittler...

Back