Rough Rider steel???

The Colt carbon steel knives are now under the Rough Rider brand. Some of the more exotic handle materials, like Rams Horn may be under the Marbles brand, although Rough Rider does have a couple Stag handles in the fixed blade line.
The Colt brand was discontinued by SMKW late last year or early this year.

So all these knives are made by Rough rider?Colt and Marbles?How are Marbles knives made in China?Is RR higher class than Colt and Marbles?

I can't speak to the Marbles branded knives, but the Colts were essentially equal to the Rough Riders. In another thread, folks are saying that SMKW no longer has the trademark and hence not making Colt branded knives. This is actually news to me with regard to the trademark.

I'm not sure of the exact year, but I believe Marbles USA went under in the late 80's or early 90's.
As I understand the hierarchy, Colt was #1
Marbles #2, Rough Rider #3.
I may have Colt and Marbles reversed though.
All three were/are great knives. Both Colt and Marbles had patterns and/or handle materials not available in the Rough Rider brand. For example, Marbles has a copy of the old Camillus "Demo" knife, which judging from my two examples, are just as good as those made by Camillus or any of the other companies the Government contracted with to make them. (Rough Rider had/has patterns not available in the others, as well, like the French Kate.)
The Colt was the only one to offer some patterns with Carbon Steel blades. Those have been moved over to Rough Rider now.

I would put Colts on a par with Rough Rider based on the two Colts I have. Both brands are easily the equal of Case.

I bought one RR and 3 more followed very quickly. They are a hell of a steal! They have very high quality fit and finish for the money and the steel is better than Case. There are reasons to buy Case anyway, but not for me. I'd buy used but probably not new. For me, I'm happy with RR and if I spend more on a traditional it's going to the other end of the spectrum and I'll grab a GEC someday ;) Not much desire for the stuff in between price wise.

I have owned a few Rough riders- One I can say is THE Sharpest Knife I have ever received B-N-I-B, in saying this I did gift the knife away.

Descriptions at the Rough Rider store site say it's 440A stainless steel. The sales people there (in TN) say that they ship US 440A to China for the production. I think you'll probably like he knife, especially at their price point. It's important to always qualify the pricing since I don't think many would argue that Rough Rider knives are nicer than stuff made by Queen or GEC.
Maybe Queen but GEC quality is much better than RR. The bonus is it's 1095 steel USA made.

Are the Steel Warrior knives from Frost the same as the Rough Rider knives, or built by another maker? Steel Warrior knives always emphasize the mark from hardness testing of the blades; whether that's real or just put on there for show I have no idea. I have seen a few knives from several of the Chinese makers that I like, but so far shied away from buying any based on past reputation of other knives built there.

To me, they seem to be about like the Chinese version of a Swiss army knife.......cheap, but good! I've never really seen a bad Victorinox, or a Rough Rider.

I believe Steel Warrior is made in a different factory from the RRs, and not quite up to RR quality.

Rough rider knives are really nice for price,and I am using my RR Trapper for EDC,cuts like laser,but havent used it long enough to know edge holding characteristics,it sharpens up nicely,and I love bone scales.Too bad I cant find some of the models I really like.Does anyone have RR large bowie,seems to have high hollow grind and clip point.In my opinion These knives along with Victorinox cant be beat for price,but think Victorinox is little better in terms of quality.Id get a GEC knife,but the ones I like are sold out,or way too expensive,like Case Bose knives and similar offerings.

Maybe Queen but GEC quality is much better than RR. The bonus is it's 1095 steel USA made.
GEC is also 20x or more expensive, too.
This (plus the very limited numbers produced in each run) puts the GEC out of reach for a lot of people.
I have nothing against GEC. I am not in their target market, and there is nothing wrong with that. Rough Rider (or Case, Buck, Utica/Kutmaster) are not in the same "class" as GEC, either, so I'm not sure it is fair to compare. I do not see a lot of threads comparing a Case, for example, to a GEC. But there are a fair few comparing RR to GEC, and bemoaning the fact that the RR falls short - most of the time.
I do not expect my Rough Rider, Colt, Marbles, Buck, or Case knives to have the same expected level of fit and finish as a GEC or custom built slipjoint.
I would, however, expect a company like Case and Utica/Kutmaster to at least equal or exceed the quality and fit/finish of a Rough Rider, or Marbles consistantly
since they are allegedly a "better quality" knife that sells for more than 3 to 5 times the cost of a Rough Rider.

Are the Steel Warrior knives from Frost the same as the Rough Rider knives, or built by another maker? Steel Warrior knives always emphasize the mark from hardness testing of the blades; whether that's real or just put on there for show I have no idea. I have seen a few knives from several of the Chinese makers that I like, but so far shied away from buying any based on past reputation of other knives built there.

I have a couple of Steel Warriors, a peanut and a trapper. Their quality of construction is good, about on a par with RR and Case. But the Frost knives don't look as good, lacking such details as lined bolsters, swedged blades and match strike pulls. The dye job on their bone handles is not as nice, if the putrid red shade on both of mine is any guide. I have no idea about the steel. It seems ok.

They cost about as much as a Rough Rider, too, so there is really no reason to choose one over a RR except curiosity. Ironically, and perhaps because it is so homely, I find myself using the trapper quite a bit.

Last edited:
Can anyone list quality and heat treat and general performance of steel from all major traditional companies,I am pretty new to traditionals,and am not really sure for some of them regarding heat treat and edge holding.

GEC is also 20x or more expensive, too.
This (plus the very limited numbers produced in each run) puts the GEC out of reach for a lot of people.
I have nothing against GEC. I am not in their target market, and there is nothing wrong with that. Rough Rider (or Case, Buck, Utica/Kutmaster) are not in the same "class" as GEC, either, so I'm not sure it is fair to compare. I do not see a lot of threads comparing a Case, for example, to a GEC. But there are a fair few comparing RR to GEC, and bemoaning the fact that the RR falls short - most of the time.
I do not expect my Rough Rider, Colt, Marbles, Buck, or Case knives to have the same expected level of fit and finish as a GEC or custom built slipjoint.
I would, however, expect a company like Case and Utica/Kutmaster to at least equal or exceed the quality and fit/finish of a Rough Rider, or Marbles consistantly
since they are allegedly a "better quality" knife that sells for more than 3 to 5 times the cost of a Rough Rider.
I was just commenting on a post saying RR is better quality

I am wondering how does Rough rider steel compare to 9cr18 found on schrade old timer bone models slipjoints???Is it about same or 9cr18 is better as its pretty good steel,with good edge holding and easy to sharpen

Back