Russian Shovel Comparison: Cold Steel vs. Original

In much of Europe shovels without steps are the norm, and if one is desired then they have ones that clamp to the neck of the tool. If you aren't up on your feet, though, as you've suggested, then there's little reason to have a step at all. In most circumstances rear-turned steps are done as a cost-cutting measure on account of it being able to be done in a single forming stage, while forward-turned require a second stage. Again, I can understand wanting to use rearward steps if the tool was carried in that specific location rather than on the pack at all, and if--additionally--any digging was to be done whilst standing. But in your second point you asserted that the user would not normally be standing, and so I'm saying that in such a circumstance the steps would be a nuisance with no perceivable benefit and one would be better off entirely without them if that were so.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but if you're laying on your side, just how are you getting any benefit from the steps?

You will not get hurt. When you use the shovel as a paddle, you will want to have something round to rest your wrist. At least for me, when I actually had to use it, it felt better than the typical folding one who's having the steps as you prefer. It is subjective thing after all and a german, austrian or romanian army folding shovel will make you happy.

Last edited:
I can see how in a reverse "paddle hold" it helps follow the contour of the hand when grasping the socket where it meets the blade, but that hold only works well (in my experience) with very loose sandy soil or snow. It would, perhaps, work if used to move heavier clay soils that had already been loosened by a pick but as a stand-alone tool being able to spade and lever with it is better facilitated by a forward step. I suppose a lot would depend on the soil of the intended region of use, which is beyond my experience. I just know that here I wouldn't have much use for that grip from such a tool unless I was in snow, in which case it's a very small shovel indeed.

I've found the utility of a folding pick/shovel to be more useful. The pick is necessary for harder ground. And the ability to set the shovel at 90° and use it as a hoe is invaluable. Even the vintage Korean made pick/shovel is quite good. I'd take it in a heartbeat over the Russian or Cold Steel units.

Like this guy? I picked it up in a surplus store outside Ft. Bragg while I was TDY there a couple months ago. I'm not active duty, I was in the USAF a long time ago, now I'm a civilian Army employee so all my digging is recreational. :)

This is a pretty clean item for my collection/pile. :) Hope to get it dirty soon.
I believe it to be a West German Army item, it is date stamped 1959.

et1.JPG

et2.JPG

et3.JPG

et4.JPG

et5.JPG

Oh, that furniture is in my hotel room during that stay, nothing that hideous in my house. :)

Back