Sadly, I have to quit knifemaking.

***Many have asked about a link to my new website so here it is. I am beginning so not much there yet but a good place to see updates as well as on Instagram.
PatriceLemee.com

I wanted to notify all my friends here and thank them for their help and support over the past years.

Short story is that I need commercial insurance (shop and liability) if I want to continue making knives but the cost would be too high for the number of knives I make a year and the income it would generate. This saddens me of course :( but I believe that there is a reason for everything and I will not let this keep me from working in the shop, just not making knives.

I will be making sculptures from now on, something my Dad use to do and that I always wanted to try. I like if very much so far and can put a lot of what I learned making knife to good use. Here is an example of what I am doing.

So again, I can not thank you all enough for your all you help and support over the years. I've made some great friends here and will continue to hang around to see the amazing knives you guys make.

Your friend.

Patrice

Last edited:
That is so sad!! But, it is good that you still have a creative outlet!! I like that little ladybug. I look forward to seeing more of you new works.

I would move to where the laws are not so draconian. Eastern Canada is just redonculous with all the pointless restrictions.

Why(if I may ask) is it OK to make sculpture, and not edged tools?? Same materials, processes and hazards to health and safety.

Something is remarkably wrong with that piece of regulatory excrement!:thumbdn::barf::thumbdn:

My condolences for what you have to put up with........

Darcy.

PS. I like the beetle:thumbup:

I like the lady bug !! Don't feel bad we've seen your dilemma before . In Japan when the samurai era disappeared they realized that there were many very skilled craftsman involved in making swords and sword furniture .The Gov't didn't want to loose those people so they encouraged those craftsman to continue .I've seen many examples of the results . They made things like crickets, actual size and working models where all the legs etc work as the real ones do !! Perhaps someone on the forum can supply photos of those things !

I'd say that was unfortunate, but the fact that you're still making stuff really just suggests that a new chapter is beginning...

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I appreciate the good words and the wisdom. I will look for pics of those Mete.

Darcy, what they are the most afraid of is liability. The risk is basically the same as far as the processes used which are very similar but way higher for liability for knives than sculptures. And it is even worst when you can sell outside of Canada especially in the US.
I am not bitter about it in the sense that I know insurance is a business not a right. They want to make a certain amount of money and that means evaluating risk a certain way, I get it. Just a little sad that it varies greatly by region it seems but nothing I can do about that. Family is here so moving is not an option. And there is nothing to say it wont change elsewhere like it did here so I think the best option is to make the best of it where I am and like some have said, see this as just another fork in the road.

As far as seeing more of my work in the future, you can look me up on Instagram (by my name) since I won't be able to post here.

Thanks again guys for the support, I really appreciate.

So can you even put an edge on your kitchen knives?

Sorry to see they will not let you do a hobby

Wonderful little sculpture you've made and, even though sad to hear about the knives, I'm sure you will do very well with your skills and Artistic talents...:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly is a frustration to be stymied by bureaucracies. I am very glad for you that at least your skill and artistry will not be daunted.
Here is one page of examples of the exquisite Japanese articulated metal creatures to inspire you - https://www.pinterest.com/pin/67694800623305326/

Good luck with your new direction. You are already off to a great start. Post photos here please.

Ray

I would move to where the laws are not so draconian. Eastern Canada is just redonculous with all the pointless restrictions.

Why(if I may ask) is it OK to make sculpture, and not edged tools?? Same materials, processes and hazards to health and safety.

Something is remarkably wrong with that piece of regulatory excrement!:thumbdn::barf::thumbdn:

My condolences for what you have to put up with........

Darcy.

PS. I like the beetle:thumbup:

^ +1

Wonderful little sculpture you've made and, even though sad to hear about the knives, I'm sure you will do very well with your skills and Artistic talents...:)

^ Me too!

Yes.^
Stay positive and things will work out.
rolf

^ From the looks of that amazing ladybug, I have no doubts.

Best of luck moving forward, Patrice!
It appears that your father, definitely imparted some of his artistic ability, to you! :)

Thanks Ray !! Exactly what I was thinking of ! Some fine examples there !

Sorry to hear you do really nice work. But you know- Steam Punk is big and your Lady Bug looks really nice so hopefully the sky is the limit on your next adventure.

Please post your work and let us know how it's going.

Thanks Mitch

I actually LOVE that lady bug.. I hope you post your work here even if not knives (if thats allowed) =)

You guys are so nice, makes me happy and sadder at the same time. :):( Very glad you like the start of my sculpting work. Thanks for the link Ray, some amazing stuff there. Definitely a direction I'd like to take.

Joe, a dragonfly is coming soon, lots of requests for that. Here is a butterfly I made, actually my first one, the ladybug being the the second.

Sadly I don't think it would be a good idea to post my work here. :eek: I would not feel right about it since it is completely off-topic and even more because I will actually be selling some in the future.

Avigil, it's not the hobby part they have a problem with it is the selling part. For tax purposes, you can sell as long as you still spend more than you make. But insurance wise, the risk is there regardless of the number of sales. no matter if you are not actually making any money.

How can thanks you all for show of support, that's why I consider you all like my extended family and will always do. :eek:

Back