Sadly, I have to quit knifemaking.

the insurance industry plays an over sized role in our society, and I'm goddamned sick of it

Truth.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

Damnit Patrice, we'll miss you and hope you can come back one day! I'll still be watching what you make elsewhere, though!

Imagine the irony if someone tripped over a sculpture, got injured, and pressed charges! :)

Patrice thanks for the explanation. I wish you all the best in your endeavors and success with your sculptures.

Is it possible to occasionally make a knife and then not sell it, but make it available for a "suggested donation" to your shop? :D

Patrice Lemée;17083403 said:
It is simply my choice as I stated above. If someone is able to live with the risk of loosing everything they worked for (and even more in the case of a liability suit) then more power to them, they will save money. I can't.

You are purchasing insurance to protect you from legal liability, thus you may want to talk to a lawyer to determine if there are other ways to avoid the risk than insurance. In the US, liability can sometimes be avoided by product instructions and disclaimers. Product liability can also vary by state, maybe it varies by province in Canada.

Patrice, Please post a link to your new site. I really like what you are doing with those figures. Reminds me of the articulate old Japanese ones I see occasionally on Antique Roadshow. John

Hi everyone, I just registered specifically to reply to this post... My thinking is along the lines of brownshoe, a product disclaimer and waiver of liability that is robust enough to discourage the hungriest attorney may be the way to go in some jurisdictions. I'm in AZ. I've just run this by my corp attorney and will reply here with what he says. Product liability should be a concern for everyone and I have not seen this before brownshoe just now. Of all the followers of this thread, has anyone ever had a legal issue?

*** Here is the link to my new website. I am beginning so not much there yet but a good place to see updates as well as on Instagram.
PatriceLemee.com

Thanks again to all for your great support and compliments.

My friend Dan Westlind in Washington state is transitioning from knife making to becoming a sculptor with amazing results. You have the spatial intelligence and have mastered the craft. More than half the battle is over.
I have made a living as a sculptor for 37 years. I carve ancient ivory and bone.
Marketing is the biggest challenge at first. It is a lot like knife making ,once you connections with collectors it gets easier. I am fortunate to have some good galleries and feel blessed to have made a living with my hands all these years

Back