Sage5 or Para3

• SAGE5

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • PARA3

Votes: 10 47.6%

• Total voters

RamZar

Gold Member
If you had to choose just one would you choose Sage5 or Para3?

If you have both, why do you prefer one over the other?

Both have 3" blades of S30V with Compression Lock.

If you had to choose just one would you choose Sage5 or Para3?

If you have both, why do you prefer one over the other?

Both have 3" blades of S30V with Compression Lock.
Good question! I can't wait to hear others answers!

I've had a Sage 5, for a month or so and already noticed grabbing it more then a PM2.
I even shaved the blade down, from a leaf, to more of a PM2 look.
d4154c845918a38c99f95e026fd52017.jpg

I like the wire clip and I love my Native 5!
So having a thinner, same sized, compression locked "Native". Makes for a perfect EDC

Tonight, I just bought another Sage 5 and a Para 3.
So I'll be adding thoughts, come Wed or Thurs, on comparison.

Reason for the 2nd, 5..
My friend likes his PM2.. he's a mechanic and likes the idea of the wire clip.. to protect from scratching cars.
So he Might get one.. lol..

I haven't tried a Para or a compression lock. I have a Sage 2. The Sage is a great shape and design. I really love it.

I voted Sage 5. The action on my Para 3 is a little better than my Sage 5 but not by much. Both are free droppers. I like the wire clip on the Sage 5 and how it rides in the pocket. I'm happy with the Para 3 but I really don't like where the clip is on the handle. It definitely rides high in the pocket and I notice it when I'm sitting down. I could probably live with that but what I really don't like is that the end of the clip creates a bit of a hot spot and is right where I pinch the handle to close the knife. I don't really like using aftermarket clips but I'll be adding a short Lynch clip as soon as I can find one. Once I do that I think it'll be a toss up between the two knives.

I voted Sage 5 for CF and clip placement. When Para 3 sprints start coming out, I might have to change my vote.

Voted para 3 but for me it's a toss up. The sage is an awesome knife and I like my sage 2 but because it looks pretty sometime I'm hesitant to use it because of that, even though I bought it to use because it gets touted as a very solid knife even though it does have some mad sex appeal. The para 3 seems heavier on the "function 1st" theme of spydercos and I'm really anxious for my pre-order to get filled. One it shows up I'm sure I could give a better vote so I'm basing the vote for the para on what i expect the pm3 to be like and not necessarily what it IS like to carry.

sage for office and family gatherings, pm3 for production floor (work) and outdoors activities.

I've been loving my recently acquired Sage 5 and the action has been getting better. It's seen a lot od pocket time. Para3 is on it's way, so I'll hold off on voting until I can compare, but I don't like the clip placement either.

I voted for and have the Sage 5. I prefer the deep carry wire clip and also gravitate more toward a gents folder than tactical.

Last edited:
I voted for the Sage 5. I really want to love the Para 3 but the position of the clip keeps it on my desk while the Sage gets the pocket time. Plus I like carbon fiber better than g10, even if it's just an overlay. I have also noticed that the non wire pocket clips that Spyderco uses alway catch on the seam of the bottom of my shirts and almost pulls the knife out of my pocket if I'm not careful.

Last edited:
It's a tossup, and I'm glad to have both.

The Sage series was an introduction to better knives for me at the time. I like thin, wide, FFG, leaf-shaped blades for slicing -- plus the slightly grippy CF scales and compression lock on the Sage 5.

Somewhat to my surprise, I'm also developing a love affair with G-10 scales. They feel great in the hand. Organic, someone called them. Pefect for knives that actually get used.

Whatever sprint models Spydie later issues, the stock Para3 is nearly perfect for me. If the Lynch clip fits, that will erase my one nit.

Spydie should issue more light-weight, 3-inch folders like these.

Two winners -- congrats to the Spydie team!

Spyderco has over 20 locking folders with 3 inch blades with all sorts of blade steels, blade shapes, handle materials and locking mechanisms.

See: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1462653-Spyderco-Locking-Folders-with-3-quot-Blades[/QUOTE

Impressive list, thanks, Ram.

Yes but --- some are just over 3 inches and some are heavyweights. And some I would never carry. One was so butt-ugly I immediately got rid of it.

The Para 3 and Sage 5 are lightweight, legal most places, and great pocket-EDCs. They go to the top of my pile.

Yes but --- some are just over 3 inches and some are heavyweights. And some I would never carry. One was so butt-ugly I immediately got rid of it.

The Para 3 and Sage 5 are lightweight, legal most places, and great pocket-EDCs. They go to the top of my pile.

All those in the poll have blade lengths of 3 inches or less. There's another group of about a dozen that are slightly over 3 inches but not included in the poll.

I don't find any that are particularly heavy. Of course, FRN folders without liners are noticeably lighter than those with G-10 and liners.

Some are definitely fugly!

Still, with over 20 folders and even more models there are a lot of Spyderco folders with 3" blades to cater to various users.

Spyderco has over 20 locking folders with 3 inch blades with all sorts of blade steels, blade shapes, handle materials and locking mechanisms.

See: http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php/1462653-Spyderco-Locking-Folders-with-3-quot-Blades[/QUOTE

I think you could add any of the sage series to the list as they're similar but different knives with the different locks and scales among the models. The chaparral is another looker in the sub-3" category, one that's on my short list once a few others I'm waiting on arrive. Many of the spydercos are definitely not lookers and tend to look best when stuck in a pocket; their design isn't my thing to look at but I do like using them.

Added a vote for the Sage 5. Tough call, but if I had to pick one I'd take the wire clip and CF of the Sage. If they move the clip placement on the Para3 with some sprint runs, then it will be a different story.

I voted Para3. Tip down is my preference so it's obvious the P3 is my choice. However I prefer the action on the P3 to the Sage5 on my specific versions. Both are really good choices however.

Sage 5, in FRN. PM3 didn't fix any of the issues I have with the PM2. It's still too big. I never had an issue with the length, only the width. Lol.

I own neither but based on looks I like the para 3 blade design more, waiting for different steels Lord knows I've got enough s30v

I voted Para 3 but only because I don't have a Sage 5 yet. I'm sure the Sage 5 is just as awesome, I can't wait to get one.

Para 3 feels good in hand. Like posted above, I didn't have any issues with the PM2.
Options are the best!
With that said.. Sage 5 takes it!
It really hasn't left my pocket.
I have my original, that I modded the blade (more like the para 3 blade shape) and a 2nd in stock form.

As for being, "the sexy, delicate, gents knife"..
I knocked that thought out, after a little drywall cutting..
fc850165541750828b15aaf78e489e37.jpg

And still cutting paper... (Not the cleanest, but still surprised)
0bfa8dd5ab927e8f1d190e02280cf003.jpg

I like the wire clip, the action, deep carry, etc, etc, etc..
Para 3, probably not going to make the rotation or stay around.. lil para Delica, will override that grab..

Back