How To SAK Nail File mod

I have recently come into possession of a Vic climber and sportsman and am severely torn between the two for EDC. The only solution I could think of is to open up both knives and combine the two which would result in the ultimate SAK for my needs. What I am specifically looking for is a Vic climber with the nail file/cleaner associated with the sportsman/cadet knives instead of the small blade (also plus scales, which seems to be an easy fix)

To the point: Is it possible to fix an 84mm nail cleaning tool to a 91mm cellidor knife spring to replace the small blade? And if not easily interchangeable, what tools would I need to make the assembly work?

It can be done. You'll need to either drill out the hole in the tang of the file ( in which case you'll need a drill and a bit for hardened steel) or you'll have to turn down the pivot pin to fit the hole, which can be done with a file.

It can be done. You'll need to either drill out the hole in the tang of the file ( in which case you'll need a drill and a bit for hardened steel) or you'll have to turn down the pivot pin to fit the hole, which can be done with a file.
Thank you for the information, and where would I acquire the replacement brass pins for the mod? I've looked into the matter fairly extensively , but I can't seem to find the brass rod diameter that is frequently mentioned in other SAK modding posts among the various storefronts I've perused.

have you tried model train shops? that generally is the best source for the rod, and if you have a brick and mortar store, its likely they could order it if you needed.

IMG_2050.jpg Knife parts supply companies sell the necessary wire in brass, Nickel Silver, and stainless steel. You have to specify the diameter and cut it to length. The heads can be spun or peened.

I've been using brass rod from my local Ace Hardware, but I have a tabletop lathe that I can turn the stock to whatever size I need.

The only small brass rods I could find at my hobby train store were 3/32", which translates to 2.34mm. However, it just so happens that there is a makerspace in my town that I just accidentally stumbled upon so I will likely have a lathe at my disposal to make what I want from thicker stock.

I just have one more question: Does anybody know of a way to acquire Titanium plus scales such as the ones made by Andrzej Woronowski?(http://awknives.blogspot.com/) I am perfectly fine with the cellidor plus scales, but blue titanium scales he produced looked amazing and I would love to have them if at all possible.

And thank you all for the help thus far, I'm really glad I stumbled across you guys.

Knife parts supply companies also sell Titanium flat stock. You can cut out the scales with a hack or band saw. Anodize the Ti parts after fabrication but before assembly.IMG_2054.jpg

I've used 3/32" brass rod for the pins. Before I dug out my lathe, I'd cut a piece about 2" long, chuck it up in a drill and use a file to take it down to the desired diameter. Not as neat or precise as the lathe, but it works, and the tolerances aren't real tight on a SAK anyway.

Knife parts supply companies also sell Titanium flat stock. You can cut out the scales with a hack or band saw. Anodize the Ti parts after fabrication but before assembly.View attachment 708914
What about the torx screws you used instead of brass pins? Would it be feasible to have a screw setup resemble a pin/bushing setup and put cellidor scales on top?

When you tear down a Cellidor SAK, each pin has a brass grommet (at least that's what I call it) on each side. It would be possible to run the screws though those grommets into a threaded pivot pin to hold the knife together and snap the Cellidor scales back on. The caveat here is the smallest such pins I've found are 1/8" diameter, which means you'd have to drill out all the holes in all the blades, liners, catch bits and springs a couple of sizes. I got away with it on an Alox build, but I wouldn't want to try it on a 91mm. The Alox uses larger pins to begin with, and even so I was a bit concerned that the springs might not hold together. They have so far, but I wouldn't be surprised if one broke.

IMG_2058.jpg I don't build the Ti custom SAKs, so I'm not familiar with the internal construction details, although if I pulled one apart, it wouldn't be hard to figure out. You're not searching hard enough for pin stock.

For me if I'm going to want to groom my fingernails in any way I'm probably going to want to clip them as well.
It can't do all 3 of these things so it has no business doing any of them.
My preference is to carry a small set of TRIM clippers which include a fingernail tool ( of the better hooked type too ) because it's pretty much a complete all in one grooming set that's smaller than my pinky finger.

Modding is fun, but you should really think about weather or not you really need the fingernail tool to be on your knife vs on a something that can also trim your nails where it belongs.
I do hear that it makes a decent micro Philips screwdriver though.

I trim my nails with a pocket knife, and clean them with one, too. Others do it all with a nail file. I personally would rather have the small pen blade (or better yet the old small clip blade) but to each his own.

T tiguy7 The pins in SAKs are metric and don't correspond exactly to anything you posted.

IMG_2062.jpg
For me if I'm going to want to groom my fingernails in any way I'm probably going to want to clip them as well.
It can't do all 3 of these things so it has no business doing any of them.
My preference is to carry a small set of TRIM clippers which include a fingernail tool ( of the better hooked type too ) because it's pretty much a complete all in one grooming set that's smaller than my pinky finger.

Modding is fun, but you should really think about weather or not you really need the fingernail tool to be on your knife vs on a something that can also trim your nails where it belongs.
I do hear that it makes a decent micro Philips screwdriver though.
They make clippers that fit into pocket knives.

View attachment 709212
They make clippers that fit into pocket knives.
I knew they made those, I just wouldn't want the the fingernail tool on a knife that couldn't clip my nails.

BTW I wasn't trying to bring this thread off track, so I'm sorry if I'd.
I was just pointing out that the op could easily just carry a small set of clippers if this mod isn't going to be too easy to make happen.

IMG_2069.jpg IMG_2071.jpg IMG_2070.jpg
I trim my nails with a pocket knife, and clean them with one, too. Others do it all with a nail file. I personally would rather have the small pen blade (or better yet the old small clip blade) but to each his own.

T tiguy7 The pins in SAKs are metric and don't correspond exactly to anything you posted.
I'll try again. Here is a knife parts supplier's listing for three systems of wire gauge. I never knew that a clip blade was designed for clipping nails.

View attachment 709243 View attachment 709244 View attachment 709245
I'll try again. Here is a knife parts supplier's listing for three systems of wire gauge. I never knew that a clip blade was designed for clipping nails.

It may not be designed for it, but it's been working for me for about forty years.

Some of those look pretty close. I'll have to get out my caliper and check the pins on one I have apart.

Edit to add: The end pivots on the 91mm measure 0.096", the back tool and fourth pins measure 0.084", and the nail file/combo tool pin from the 84mm measures 0.080". Like I said, I just get something a little oversize and turn it down.

Last edited:
Hickory n steel Hickory n steel : I have actually looked into a knife with inline nail clippers, but the biggest issue is the thickness of the knives with them and the kinda cheap looking plastic that is on the underside instead of a spring. Some of my pants, especially my dressier work stuff, has extremely tight pockets so I can't really afford to go over 3 regular size layers if I want this knife for EDC. Efficency is also really important to me, for every layer I have on top I also want a backspring tool to fill out the knife, utilizing the space to it's fullest potential. Which is why I avoid alox knives as well, there's just too much wasted space in the springs and scales that could be used for tools.

yablanowitz yablanowitz : I will admit that I do like the small pen blade as it does offer some extra control during fine work, but at the end of the day it seems redundant because the main blade performs pretty much all of the same tasks. Plus, the nail cleaner tip in combination with the can opener flathead gives the knife excellent phillips functionality which important to me, but not enough to jump to a thicker knife with an inline philips or lose the corkscrew(I use the micro driver and corkscrew a lot).

Last edited:
Back