SAK Rescue Tool

Since the main blade is the same as what's found on the trekker, its a great general purpose slicer. The advantages of the other tools is that you have a good specific tool for most materials. Keep in mind that these are not the usual liner-lock design, they are a slip-joint with a liner-safety, so you will likely feel more blade play, along what you get with a normal Vic, but that is inherent to the design, and nothing to worry about.

As an aside, I'm sure you bought from a reputable dealer, but it bears mentioning for anyone else looking to get one that fake rescue tools are all over the place. The clues are quite subtle, but worth looking up so you know what to look for, and as one would expect from a clone, the quality is pretty bad, although if you didn't look, it might not be obvious until you really gave it a workout.

Since the main blade is the same as what's found on the trekker, its a great general purpose slicer. The advantages of the other tools is that you have a good specific tool for most materials. Keep in mind that these are not the usual liner-lock design, they are a slip-joint with a liner-safety, so you will likely feel more blade play, along what you get with a normal Vic, but that is inherent to the design, and nothing to worry about.

As an aside, I'm sure you bought from a reputable dealer, but it bears mentioning for anyone else looking to get one that fake rescue tools are all over the place. The clues are quite subtle, but worth looking up so you know what to look for, and as one would expect from a clone, the quality is pretty bad, although if you didn't look, it might not be obvious until you really gave it a workout.

Great comments- thank you. I will surely look for the subtle clues regarding counterfeit SAKs. I know a few to look for and if I have any question I'll be sure to reach out to this forum.

I had one for about 10 years or so in my glove box. It was stolen last year. I never really used it. If I remember correctly the main blade is blunted at the tip. Like other OHT's, there was a little up and down blade play when locked, and the liner lock moves in the opposite direction of most typical liner lock knives. Overall, I thought it was a good knife, but I never had to use it and haven't replaced it.

Another plus, was that all those years parking outside, many metal objects would rust in my car from the fluctuating temperatures and morning dew. Some brand new pruners developed significant rust in one or two nights. The SAK Rescue never developed any rust over all those years.

The secondary tools can do double duty for game processing, though I've never done so, just read about it. They also make short work of rope/cordage as well as tie down straps etc

After playing around with the Rescue Tool, I'm convinced it is a great emergency option that will serve well in utility capacity. The locking blade is sharp enough for many daily tasks. The emergency specific tools are also well suited for their needs. Plus, after you cut someone from the wreckage of their vehicle, you can corkscrew and both celebrate by popping the cork on some celebratory wine.

Back