SAK SwissChamp magnifier

I've read all about the new plastic vs. the old grey glass magnifiers on the SwissChamp. I'd prefer glass but the new plastic is ok.

I just received a new SwissChamp and I find the plastic "glass" piece itself to be a little loose in the housing; not like it's going to pop out on its own, but certainly not rigid like I'd expect. Again, the movement is nominal and likely a function of the way the plastic "glass" fits in the molding.

Does anyone who has the SwissChamp notice this or do I need to exchange my copy of the SwissChamp?

I've read all about the new plastic vs. the old grey glass magnifiers on the SwissChamp. I'd prefer glass but the new plastic is ok.

I just received a new SwissChamp and I find the plastic "glass" piece itself to be a little loose in the housing; not like it's going to pop out on its own, but certainly not rigid like I'd expect. Again, the movement is nominal and likely a function of the way the plastic "glass" fits in the molding.

Does anyone who has the SwissChamp notice this or do I need to exchange my copy of the SwissChamp?
Better off asking this in the multitool and multi purpose knives section.

Last edited:

I bought three Swiss Champs recently. All 3 have plastic housing and the mag glass rotates within. It does not wobble it rotates. I guess the mag glass is pressed fitted.

It does not bother me. It's all good.

I bought three Swiss Champs recently. All 3 have plastic housing and the mag glass rotates within. It does not wobble it rotates. I guess the mag glass is pressed fitted.

It does not bother me. It's all good.
I've read that the glass piece is again actually glass (contained within the plastic housing) as of around 2007. Can anyone confirm?

Huh, I would have thought the newer magnifier (clear plastic housing) was a single piece with the lens, where as the old gray one was molded around the glass lens. But having not handled one with a newer style lens, I'm not sure.

Return it and get another one. It should be pretty snug and take some effort to pop it out.
As mentioned, it would take some effort to pop it out. It seems pretty snug in general (just a little wiggle) but I'll know more when I compare it to my Explorer that arrives next week.

I also just discovered the most important benefit of the magnifying glass on my SAK- to admire the edge handiwork after sharpening my other knives!

I've had a couple of those VICTORINOX Champ knives and I really never thought of them as being "mulit-tools" but on second thought I guess they fit the definition even better than many other multi-tools on the market.

The only gripe I would have against the CHamp models is that they don't have a set of pliers like your conventional multi-tools do and with my Swiss Tool I feel like I can get better leverage. But the next time I get the opportunity to trade for a Champ model I'm probably going to get one and give it a fair tryout.

I've had a couple of those VICTORINOX Champ knives and I really never thought of them as being "mulit-tools" but on second thought I guess they fit the definition even better than many other multi-tools on the market.

The only gripe I would have against the CHamp models is that they don't have a set of pliers like your conventional multi-tools do and with my Swiss Tool I feel like I can get better leverage. But the next time I get the opportunity to trade for a Champ model I'm probably going to get one and give it a fair tryout.

Well, JDSpydo, to be fair it's not pliers what these SAKs have. In the Multitool world we necessarily have to differentiate them in categories depending on size and capabilities. Thus we have specific tools, or normal pliers (Knipex, Cobra...), heavy duty MTs (Swisstool, Gerber MP600, SOG PP, LM Supertool 300), medium duty MTs (LM Skeletool, SOG PPP, Gerber MP400) and light duty pliers (LM Squirt, Gerber Dime, and the pliers in all SAKs, which should be considered "oversized tweezers")

IOxv4eo.jpg

The Swisschamp offers all you can ever need of a multi purpose knife, and is excellent companion to a normal pair of pliers or a big, pliers-centered multitool

Well, JDSpydo, to be fair it's not pliers what these SAKs have. In the Multitool world we necessarily have to differentiate them in categories depending on size and capabilities. Thus we have specific tools, or normal pliers (Knipex, Cobra...), heavy duty MTs (Swisstool, Gerber MP600, SOG PP, LM Supertool 300), medium duty MTs (LM Skeletool, SOG PPP, Gerber MP400) and light duty pliers (LM Squirt, Gerber Dime, and the pliers in all SAKs, which should be considered "oversized tweezers")

IOxv4eo.jpg

The Swisschamp offers all you can ever need of a multi purpose knife, and is excellent companion to a normal pair of pliers or a big, pliers-centered multitool
Great team right there! You've got your bases covered for sure! I've got the Skeletool CX and SwissChamp. Salt is definitely on my radar.

I can also vouch for SwissChamp and its pliers. They aren't built for robust tasks but will get you through most of the daily mundane tasks for which you need a secure, precise grip.

Sakwiki.com is a volunteer project with many gaps, but it is authoritative on tools.
The Magnifying Glass was first introduced in 1973 and featured a glass lens with an 8x magnification in a Grey plastic housing. It has only appeared in 91mm models, and always on the same layer as the In-line Phillips screwdriver., except on the Cybertool Lite and Swisschamp XAVT, where it is opposite the LED Light module.

According to Victorinox the Magnifier was changed to a new model in 2004 featuring a transparent plastic housing with a plastic lens and a magnification of 5x. This magnifier has a slightly wider area of view due to the slimmer housing and lower magnification. The In Line Phillips driver was replaced with the already shortened driver from models with the light module, to accommodate the new magnifying glass. This model seemed to really start appearing in North America in 2007, likely due to the large amount of existing stock. However, the disparity in the dates is larger than usual for this type of transition.

In 2012 Victorinox changed the Magnifier to use a glass lens with a 6x magnification, while retaining the clear plastic housing.

show_image.php

The plastic lens & housing had the advantage of homogeneity. I own a SAK with the 5x plastic lens, and I thought the lens and its clear plastic housing were one piece. Victorinox seems to have decided that the majority prefer a glass lens. There are enough used SAKs to satisfy anyone's preference.

Wenger's screwdriver/magnifier has a glass lens, still available in Victorinox's Delemont Collection.

sa25013ex1000.jpg

IMO, Wenger's slip joint pliers are uglier but more useful than Victorinox's. They are still available in the Delemont Collection.

show_image.php

Some of Wenger's 120 mm and 130 mm SAKs had large multi-tool style pliers, and Victorinox has kept some of them in production. It is an interesting sounding design which I have never examined.

sa9723cx1000.jpg

The jaws and handles of the pliers are a clever three-piece assembly that folds completely away in the knife handle when not in use. Despite this complex function they are quite strong and rugged. The pliers themselves are spring loaded, powered by 2 individual narrow back-springs. A third back-spring is used for the folding handle mechanism. The jaws have fine serrations out near the tips and a coarse gripping area in the center, and an anvil style wire cutter at the back.

Last edited:
I much prefer the grey magnifying glass

iTorqUq.jpg

and Wenger's pliers are way stronger, wider opening and versatile, the best in business

xFX3oK9.jpg

Supposedly, Vic changed the easily scratched 5x plastic lens was replaced in 2012 with a 6x glass lens, in the same clear housing. Any way to tell from the packaging if one is getting the post-2012 version? Considering the volume of production, I can easily imagine getting the plastic lens from old stock.

Back