Schrade 152OT Sharpfinger

Codger and Larry303, what about this one?
Sell states:

"Schrade USA Sharpfinger Hunting and Skinning Knife NEW Old Stock never used comes with Leather sheath, see photos any question please email me, total length 7-1/4"
$34 each! Only 10 left.

I have seen these Chinese finished knives many times; but not listed like this! Ken

Link to this seller has been removed - as it's against BF ruels

Last edited:
Codger and Larry303, what about this one?
Sell states:
Schrade USA Sharpfinger Hunting and Skinning Knife NEW Old Stock never used comes with Leather sheath, see photos any question please email me, total length 7-1/4"
$34 each! Only 10 left.
I have seen these Chinese finished knives many times; but not listed like this! Ken
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Schrade-USA...tible_Knives&hash=item417b9198d9#ht_21wt_1186

Just an FYI... Linking active auctions, is against BF rules

I’m sorry Mike for trying to protect member collectors from being lied to (defraud)
In my country it is a criminal offence to deceive buyers by taking advantage of them like this seller.
Again I am sorry, for thinking this forum would like its’ members to know about this seller…

I have removed the link for this seller on eBay. Ken

Just an FYI... Linking active auctions, is against BF rules

Not if it is for purposes of identification, not deal spotting, and not the poster's auction.

Schrade USA Sharpfinger Hunting and Skinning Knife NEW Old Stock never used comes with Leather sheath, see photos any question please email me, total length 7-1/4"

28k0cnp.png

The knife in the auction is what I have come to call a post-auction pallet blade. One of the many unmounted blades hauled away on pallets by the truckload and warehoused by the two buyers of nearly every knife and knife part in the factory in October, 2004. They have been kept in storage until recently as the finished stock has been sold off. Now they are down to bits and pieces. It is one of the blades shipped to China and finished there. That one was originally held in stock for use on future limited editions with stainless blades. Schrade, to my knowledge, never used that particular unspecified dyed laminated wood and small brass rivets. The sheath has a U.S. Scoville marked snap so it was likely sourced domesticly. I note that while both knife and sheath are "new", there is no box shown or mentioned. That would be because the two exporter/importers of these aftermarket finished knives ship them to their wholesale buyers in bulk. Though if you look hard, you will find a seller who does have a supply of old stock "pallet boxes" and papers, whether original or reproduced.

Last edited:
I’m sorry Mike for trying to protect member collectors from being lied to (defraud)
In my country it is a criminal offence to deceive buyers by taking advantage of them like this seller.
Again I am sorry, for thinking this forum would like its’ members to know about this seller…

I have removed the link for this seller on eBay. Ken

No need to apologize Ken. I actually need to apologize. As Codger pointed out, there are exceptions, and looking back at your post, I missed your intent. Not sure how I did :eek:, but I did.
It's really irritating that there are so many fakes on the auction site, and they have copied knives from a lot of companies. I'm sure there have been a lot of people that aren't really in to knives the way we are, that have bought these knives thinking they are the real deal. Many people don't spend time on forums, and probably aren't aware of what these companies are doing

These two sets were made about 2002-03. NOTE: They have the same stamped blades.
Schrade must have had large stocks of blades ready to finish, special orders like these sets.
image.php

image.php

I would like to know what was going on in the fatory; in the last year - the workers must have been working hard on projects fot the 100th. Anniversary

The ACB sets were good looking knives, and I am still looking for an "SQ111 Black Ice" (If you have one - you can name your price)

I also found a New in the box "Lake & Walker" now being made in China, by "Mr SCHRADE" on eBay; yesterday.
I do not know why! They were not a good seller when the other Schrade Knife Company made them in the USA.
Back in 2004, you could buy a Lake & Walker for half its' RRP. Even the First 500 Lake & Walker knives with the BG42 blades, sell for less then their year 2000 RRP...Ken

Last edited:
Money talks. Alway has and always will. Dedicated collectors like us are few and far between. Casual collectors are more common, but still not many. Modern knife users are even fewer than they were ten or twenty years ago. And most of the non-collector users left have not the knife/tool knowledge our grandfathers and fathers had. Many of them have grown up in a disposable societh where cheap is good. Use it, break it or lose it and go buy another one.

Thus there is a market for the copies, the fakes and the aftermarket finished knives of dubious parentage. And there are naturally plenty of P.T. Barnums there to take their money.

My latest Sharpfinger "get" is not a Sharpfinger knife but a like new box with papers for one I already had new with no box. I luck onto these occasionally and still need a few to complete some of the knives I have acquired over the years. This one is the last of the tan boxes, just before being replaced by the blue striped box.

w6xt2s.png

Note that just before doing a total box art redesign, they deleted the "Sharp Idea" red banner in the upper right corner.
The website on the paper cues us to post-June 1998 and a closer examination of the paper reveals an internal inventory number of "EKA01-01" suggesting a 2001 design, though there is a 1998 copyright date inside. Unless Eric can confirm for me, I can only say for certain that the paper is for a post-1998 knife. Or perhaps one of you has an unmolested example of this knife/box and paper to confirm for me.

Last edited:
After reading this wonderful thread, I had to have one of my own.

kiyc.jpg

2vq6.jpg

And a Camillus Gran'Pa also, of course.

dg7s.jpg

Nice gets Ray! The Gran'Pa GP152, as you probably know, it less common these days. Only produced a bit over a year from what I can tell, there were not nearly so many made as the Sharpfingers of any one of the later years before Schrade closed. And distribution to stocking dealers was not as broad either. Which resulted in few being left on dealers' shelves at the end of February '07 when Camillus called it quits. In fact, the unfinished blades now surfacing seem more plentiful at this point. Back when I got mine I kept it new for a while, then put it to work skinning and butchering a deer. It felt slightly different in the hand at first compared to the Sharpfinger, but it worked every bit as well and I think it might have gained a good foothold in the marketplace eventually. Unfortunately it had to compete not only with a flood of NIB Imperial Schrade Sharpfingers emerging from dealer stocks, and also the factory auction, but also the trademarks owner's supplies coming in from overseas, and versions from Bear & Sons in Alabama, and United Cutlery's multiple brandings and versions. A lot of "me-too" competition right out of the gate. I had intended to acquire the folding knives in the Gran'Pa series but never did. And now they, like the GP152, are not often seen.

xm1gjo.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Ray, I like that Camillus knife.
Hi Codger, that lead to finding the flage for my Display, was no good.
If you look at the one I need, is has the flag and "Schrade made in the USA". Thank You for looking... Ken

WANDED FOR MY DISPLAY.
image.php

Last edited:
Hi Ray, I like that Camillus knife.
Hi Codger, that lead to finding the flage for my Display, was no good.
If you look at the one I need, is has the flag and "Schrade made in the USA". Thank You for looking... Ken

I'll continue to keep my eye open for one. If you'll continue to overlook my poor typing skills. A-editing-I-will-go! :D

I spontaneously bought a Sharpfinger 152OT last year up here in Canada without realizing that ownership of the name\brand had changed and that production was moved to China. For this model at least. I was initially bummed when I was told about the Chinese production and that the steel was deemed inferior. Then I read on another forum that the steel may be 440C, which tickled my toes again, and I pulled the knife out of the kitchen junk drawer for a reprofiling\sharpening. Now I just received an email from Taylor brands:

Dear Mr. ..........,

The Old Timer Sharpfinger 152OT is made with 7Cr17MoV high carbon stainless steel.

Regards,

Bryan Boyd

Packaging, Production, PR

& Quality Control Manager

Taylor Brands, L.L.C.

1 (800) 251-0254

Fax: (423) 247-5371

Now I'm bummed again about the knife because from what I can decipher, this Chinese steel is closer to 440 A than 440 C. Correct or incorrect ?

I am not a steelophile, but Gerber says it is equivilant to 440C. However there is this:

I have one of the earliest blades that came over and went to market in the U.S. copy packaging. However I have never used it so I have no idea how it's steel performs. And it may well have changed.

Last edited:
Here is one I found, claimed to be, and believed by me to be, a sample from the sample room which wasn't chosen to be produced. To clarify, I found the auction picture but I am blocked by this seller, so I could not bid.

wqxy14.png

Thanks for the reply Codger. It's a knife, so we'll use it one way or the other. :thumbup:

Thanks for the reply Codger. It's a knife, so we'll use it one way or the other. :thumbup:

I am hopeing, and would be surprised if it were otherwise, that the quality of F&F on the imported knives has improved in the past nine years. But even the earliest one, such as I have, might still be a decent user. I just haven't bothered since I have multiples of the real deal. Here is the identifying etch on the pile side of mine.

2r7aazb.jpg

2hrzrjk.jpg

....kinda makes me feel unclean just looking at that stamp on this Forum.............Hoo Roo

....kinda makes me feel unclean just looking at that stamp on this Forum.............Hoo Roo

Wear your Schrade hat and the feeling will pass. If it helps, it lives in the Drawer Of Shame. Oh... and a member is sending me a sampling of recent folding knives to examine and review. I'll likely post that in General though. I posted the above, as you likely guessed, for purposes of identification, not recommendation.

Back