Schrade FAQ: Is the answer to your question here? Steel, dates, models.

It looks like I have came to the right place!

I was given a Schrade Uncle Henry by my uncle a few years back, and am considering giving it to my girlfriends son as a first knife. The problem is this kid can find a way to bust an iron bar if you let him, and am worried he might do the same with the knife or end up losing it. I'm also worried that the knife might be rare, and I don't want to chance him breaking something that might be rare and or valuable.

I looked in the LB7 thread and couldn't find a match

Here is how it reads on the blade

Uncle Henry
Schrade +
IB7 USA (I have noticed others look reversed)
On the blade is the word Cronatron with an eagles head by the C and what looks like wing.

Also when folded open the stamp IB7 USA is barely visible - you can only see the tops of the stamp.

The knife is also a three pin (three on wood, 1 on brass)

Welcome to BF. My guess without seeing an actual picture of your knife (we like pictures here, by the way) is that the knife is prolly a LB7 (LB = Lockback) Bear Paw promotional item made for Cronatron company, a welding supply outfit out of N.Carolina. Google "cronatron welding" to see your eagle logo used on their catalogs. Regarding the value of the knife, the intangible value of it being gifted to your gal's son is worth FAR more that you would ever get for it at auction (maybe $15-$30). When you give it to him, make sure you remind him it is a Schrade knife, MADE IN USA. Yeah, he will probably break it, lose it, or both, but the memory of his first knife, a Schrade MADE IN USA knife given to him by his mom's boyfriend will remain with him for a lifetime.

http://www.collectors-of-schrades-r.us/Special_Orders-Gifts/images/1989-GIFTMASTERS.pdf

Last edited:
Here are a couple of pics so you know what to look for:
first pic is 172UH, second is 171UH early model, third pic is later 171UH.
Thanks for the info Phil, I have (according to your info) the later version of the UH 171. Mine is a "Ducks Unlimited" collector version with images both on the blade, and embossed into the leather sheath. I'm wondering if this has much added value? It's in excellent condition aside from the obvious imprinting from the knife being stored in it's sheath.
Without further adieu, here are some images of it. ;)
-Bruce
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

My husband got a schrade knife w 3 blades and Will Rogers on the outside w #10668 and a quote on the longest blade "I never met a man I didn't like". Does anyone have any info about this blade? PS i don't know if this is where I put this or not, it's my first try here.

Hi..I am fairly new to this site and just started collecting the UH 897s and LB7s and 8s. Can you tell me how I can obtain a copy of Robert Clementes book A Catalog of History of Schrade Knives. I have looked at several book stores and on line but no luck. I found a email address of Clemente but yahoo said it wouldn't work. Thanks for any help. Glad to be a part of this group.

is this little knife rare?
did it have real bone,or all have stagalon?
reason i ask is i have one that looks like real bone,or stag?
i mean,it sorta the same colors as the staglon,but not
the same.
is there anyway to tell?
i am sure you pros can tell,but i am just a novice.lol
thanks,
jd

Your 197 or Cat Paw is desirable enough to almost always fetch more than $50 on ebay but less than $100 unless it has all the bling (brown box, etc.). Unless someone has rehandled it it has Delrin Staglon plastic handles, which can be darker or lighter than usual.

Your 197 or Cat Paw is desirable enough to almost always fetch more than $50 on ebay but less than $100 unless it has all the bling (brown box, etc.). Unless someone has rehandled it it has Delrin Staglon plastic handles, which can be darker or lighter than usual.

well,i probably have a dud of the 197uh crowd.
the knife looks great till you open it up.
looks like someone tried to sharpen,or whatever the blade with a grinder,or
a dremel with a stone on end.
they did manage to hit the edge a time or two though in there quest for destruction.
jd

Sad to hear that story about the sharpening by an untrained hand.
But I had to laugh the way you described it!! I'd bet that we all have at least one of those. Howie

I know this barely relates to the topic but I'm just pointing out at what a shame Schrade has become, I work in a sporting goods store that was built from their Walden factory and we don't sell their knives because they're all cheap Chinese crap now.

I know this barely relates to the topic but I'm just pointing out at what a shame Schrade has become, I work in a sporting goods store that was built from their Walden factory and we don't sell their knives because they're all cheap Chinese crap now.

Well, In my humble opinion the "real" SCHRADE is gone. The new knife company that uses the SCHRADE name, and patterns is an impostor. SHAME on Taylor Knife CO. for buying the SCHRADE name only to send it to China so this could be done in the name of the almighty dollar. :mad:
I won't buy them, but instead have moved on to Benchmade, Gerber, and ESEE knives. I've also been looking at those made by Canal Street. I will admit to liking certain German, Swede, and maybe Shefield England blades, but mostly prefer to keep my dollars right here in the U.S.
I endeavor to not buy from a country that sells products that are inferior, smell, (think drywall) poison us through dyes that bleed into our skin, and have even sent dog food that poisons our dogs. Now they want to sell inferior blades to us under the name of an old and trusted American name? :rolleyes:
-Bruce

I know just how you feel. So many people ask why we of all people dont carry them and it is because they are just a name now.

Neller, are you working down at the Thruway Market by the Wallkill? LOT of history in that town, too bad the folks there don't seem to appreciate it. Most of 'em don't even realize that knives were made there in the past. I asked a librarian of she had any literature on the former Walden knife companies and she looked at me like I'd just crawled out of a flying saucer.

Canal Street's got mostly ex-Schrade folks working there, a number of them were at Schrade for thirty years or more. They've got a lot of interesting stories to tell!

Eric

This really is not a political issue, it is a survival issue. For example what is happening right now in the paper industry is the communists have built two huge paper mills that have the production capacity of all of our mills combined, which with their cheap labor can produce paper at less than half the cost that we can. Since they don't have an abundant supply of trees they buy up the pulp in this country thus adding even more of a burden on our mills. The fact that they can still produce the product at half the cost even though they don't have the natural resources in their country puts the low cost of their labor more into perspective.I remember the talk of the domino effect, IMO they were only half right, the domino effect is happening in a different way, that cheap comm paper not only effects our paper mills, but our printers, the book binders, and so on. In a year maybe two, there will be another news story that "comes out of no where" when we find out Americans no longer own our forests and that the American paper industry is dead. My apologies to anyone if they feel this is political because it wasn't my intention, I am just trying to illustrate what is happening to other companies like Schrade.

Mike[/QUOTE]
Hi all, Another newbie here and enjoy every thread, this is happening in Aust too and the average joe can't see it. Soon be working for them,, Cheers Gary..:mad:

it's really sad what this country is coming to for sure.
but our worries may be over....since we have this great president
boringack sobombem,he'll fix it....he's fixing everything else....
not sure if i spelled his name correctly,but you all know who i am
talking about.
barock osama,or whatever his name is....
he wasn't president when schrade closed there doors,but he may
as well have been....soon as they get ohmar out of libya his brother
can take over there and fix that place right up as well....i hear al queda
is behind that....are we doing the right thing sending bombers in there
to get one crazy man out just so a group of crazies can move in?
not that will really help our knife industry,and every other industry we
still have....do we even have any industry left in america that we can
call our own?

i am all for helping those in japan as well,but we owe them trillions so
it looks like they could at least wipe out some of the debt we owe them?
but i figure we are gonna borrow the money to help them,from them?might as
well say that anyway....if it's not being deducted from our debt....i wish i
knew what to do to bring industry back to our country.:confused:
maybe mr.trump can fix it?or at least pay for it.:D
not really funny,:mad:
jd

well,i probably have a dud of the 197uh crowd.
the knife looks great till you open it up.
looks like someone tried to sharpen,or whatever the blade with a grinder,or
a dremel with a stone on end.
they did manage to hit the edge a time or two though in there quest for destruction.
jd

i picked up another of the 187uh and it has a good blade.
but someone tried to close it in locked position...i guess they
didn't know how and put alot of pressure on the blade.
i think it has bent the keyholes,or something cause it's really loose.
anyone have a fix idea?
thanks for any help,
jd

Back