Schrade SCHF42 - Followup review.

Thank you sir I'm glad you like it. I liked the older Schrade leather sheath so I wanted to go with something similar. I'd like to do a more complex sheath with a stone pouch and a loop on another model. Nice mod on the sheath!

I really don't like the grivory anymore on it than any other knife to be honest, I wanted micarta to start with, but that isn't an option in Taiwan. I like the grivory better that the TPE though. I really like them both much better with the micarta.

11722491_950205831668720_685022454795545021_o.jpg

I wanted to do 5/32 on it, but the handle attachment system used on this series wouldn't work well for that. So, I'll have to work on thinner models next year. From the factory it is coming in a molded plastic sheath. I'll post some pics of that later.

It's a shame it's not out yet, I'd like have fried one out next weekend on a hunt. Looks like a great size for a skinner.

It's a shame it's not out yet, I'd like have fried one out next weekend on a hunt. Looks like a great size for a skinner.

I agree, I wish it were out :) I think it should do well in that role. I am hoping to do another version of the same knife in uncoated AUS8 at some point in the future that I think would do well as a hunting knife.

Since I've picked up my 42 I've enjoyed using it, but I have to agree that it needs to have Micarta case the stock scales suck for traction and the slight lip on the tang is very annoying. Could have had better edge geometry but for $45 I'm not going to worry about it since I can fix it with a lanskey. Excellent design though, always been a fan of recurve blades

Since I've picked up my 42 I've enjoyed using it, but I have to agree that it needs to have Micarta case the stock scales suck for traction and the slight lip on the tang is very annoying. Could have had better edge geometry but for $45 I'm not going to worry about it since I can fix it with a lanskey. Excellent design though, always been a fan of recurve blades

Yeah, I envisioned it with micarta as I drew it out. That just isn't doable in Taiwan and I wasn't ok with doing it in China to get the micarta so it is what it is I guess. I do have a hand-made knife maker who is making a couple of hand made versions of it for me with some slight tweaks, in O-1 and CPM154. I'm sure he would be ok with doing more if people asked, and I already gave him my permission.

Yeah, I envisioned it with micarta as I drew it out. That just isn't doable in Taiwan and I wasn't ok with doing it in China to get the micarta so it is what it is I guess. I do have a hand-made knife maker who is making a couple of hand made versions of it for me with some slight tweaks, in O-1 and CPM154. I'm sure he would be ok with doing more if people asked, and I already gave him my permission.

That would be awesome in either, thinner stock I presume? I'd totally be in for one! Here is my 42 next to a custom I had a maker in TN do for me off a design I drew up. It's 5/32" O1 with a varied scandivex 5" blade with a 4.5" handle with a slight Coke bottle shape. The desert ironwood and red liners go well with the heat treat finish. I drew it up for a dedicated hunting blade tho.

That would be awesome in either, thinner stock I presume? I'd totally be in for one! Here is my 42 next to a custom I had a maker in TN do for me off a design I drew up. It's 5/32" O1 with a varied scandivex 5" blade with a 4.5" handle with a slight Coke bottle shape. The desert ironwood and red liners go well with the heat treat finish. I drew it up for a dedicated hunting blade tho.

That's nice I like that. It's like my favorite parts of a kukri in a smaller package.

Yes, I was thinking 5/32 for the hand made versions. I figure anyone spending $200 or so on a knife should either know enough to not need it in 3/16, or know enough to have it made that way if they do :)

That's nice I like that. It's like my favorite parts of a kukri in a smaller package.

Yes, I was thinking 5/32 for the hand made versions. I figure anyone spending $200 or so on a knife should either know enough to not need it in 3/16, or know enough to have it made that way if they do :)

Thanks, we call is a Bush-Kuk. I was guessing on 5/32 and it could have been a little bit thinner for what I use it for but at the same time it's heavy enough that I can really use it if I have to.

You the man ! Good form.

Thx for all your generous work. This knife is giving my desire for an ESEE a second thought.

Per sharpening and recurves, i also use the same type of gear. Good to know im ok here. Im also re-evaluating my blade preferences thx to you.

Noice.

You the man ! Good form.

Thx for all your generous work. This knife is giving my desire for an ESEE a second thought.

Per sharpening and recurves, i also use the same type of gear. Good to know im ok here. Im also re-evaluating my blade preferences thx to you.

Noice.

Thank you! One upside to the micarta not being an option in Taiwan is that I help to support a few small businesses here and in the UK that make aftermarket scales and sheaths for my designs. I do like that part of it.

The only thing I can really knock about the ESEEs is the slab scales aren't as comfortable as I'd like. The ESEE-6 with the TKC scales is so far my favorite knife in that size range.

Where to get the micarta scales? I see the straight version on the bay but that is the only place I see it for sale? I was looking at the Mission Knife in A2 but the 42 is 1/4th the price. Looking for something to carry as an edc while on the scoot. Just seems a fixed blade is better especially with gloves on. Any info appreciated. keepem sharp

Where to get the micarta scales? I see the straight version on the bay but that is the only place I see it for sale? I was looking at the Mission Knife in A2 but the 42 is 1/4th the price. Looking for something to carry as an edc while on the scoot. Just seems a fixed blade is better especially with gloves on. Any info appreciated. keepem sharp

I sent you an email on the scales. As for the 42D in looking around I see it available at a few places on the net...

My 42d is becoming my favorite outdoors blade. Didn't care for the grivory at first but it has grown on me. Love the feel of the handle geometry, fits the hand perfectly. From batoning to slicing meat for the pot, the blade profile seems to be just right. Can't wait for the 55 to be released. Looks to be the perfect edc companion blade.

On youtube prepared mind 101 has a preview of the 55 so it will not be too long before we start to see some reviews of this knife. It looks an interesting design.
Anthony

Thanks guys! They are maybe jumping the gun a little with the 55, it won't officially be available until the official release for all of the 2016 models in mid February, but there will be some available in mid January. I have been playing with the one I have a good bit, and I am enjoying. It's a good size for edc for me. I ordered special versions of it minus the gimping, and I have already sent those out to the guys who make aftermarket micarta handle scales and sheaths for the 9, 42, 42D, and now the 55.

Who do you have making leather for the 42? Mine should be arriving next week :)

Heber Ellsworth of HJE Leather, a member here has one in house for sheath making. He is working on a couple of different styles for me. I have a sheath for my Tibo coming from a friend in California who does more rustic looking leather work, and I may send him a 42 to have him make one for me as well.

12294667_10206921739416528_8759707170019026753_n.jpg

12319810_10206921672974867_571441012_n.jpg

12325220_10206923957271973_704901719_n.jpg

Back