Schrade SCHF42 - Followup review.

I have to borrow the words of QUIET, almost one year ago in current thread: I have absolutely no need for this knife, but knowing that Mist designed it....gah. I'm going to have to get one.. But I have to alter the phrase, indicating that every knife - in the same category (3'', 3,5'', 4'', 5'' as far as the blade length is concerned - at least) has its own value. So many of us have some 4'' blades... But I have read so many good views and opinions in the current thread about the Schf 42 and finally I ordered the schf42D, plain edge.... I would like to have a tool designed by Mist with me...

Last edited:
I have to borrow the words of QUIET, almost one year ago in current thread: I have absolutely no need for this knife, but knowing that Mist designed it....gah. I'm going to have to get one.. But I have to alter the phrase, indicating that every knife - in the same category (3'', 3,5'', 4'', 5'' as far as the blade length is concerned - at least) has its own value. So many of us have some 4'' blades... But I have read so many good views and opinions in the current thread about the Schf 42 and finally I ordered the schf42D, plain edge.... I would like to have a tool designed by Mist with me...

Thanks man, I appreciate the vote of confidence! :) I am working hard on finding a way to produce some of my designs domestically of good steels without having exorbitant price tags, but it is a hard row to hoe...

Thanks man, I appreciate the vote of confidence! :) I am working hard on finding a way to produce some of my designs domestically of good steels without having exorbitant price tags, but it is a hard row to hoe...

VERY hard indeed. ;)

Looking at Mid Tech prices usually. :confused:

VERY hard indeed. ;)

Looking at Mid Tech prices usually. :confused:

Yeah, that's what I am looking at. Having my blanks water jetted out, and the handles CNC-ed, then doing the grinds myself. The problem is I enjoy being a knife user soooooo much more than being a knife maker. There are unfinished knives of mine in five knife shops here in the southeast... I just prefer being outdoors :)

Yeah, that's what I am looking at. Having my blanks water jetted out, and the handles CNC-ed, then doing the grinds myself. The problem is I enjoy being a knife user soooooo much more than being a knife maker. There are unfinished knives of mine in five knife shops here in the southeast... I just prefer being outdoors :)

I know what you mean, I made some knives when I was in my 20's (forged), but like you I went in another direction. :)

Brian, let me know when you have some come available. I camp a lot these days (I'm an Adult leader in the BSA) so would love to purchase one of your knives you actually worked. Believe it! :thumbup:

Just received the 42 d today. The grind isn't even towards the choil, but feather sticks well. Feels good in the hand. Handle is slippery!

Did we ever receive an answer on aftermarket scales?

Sorry for the delayed response guys, a lot has happened in the last two years. Life was more than a little challenging for a while.

There are a couple of options on aftermarket handle scales. Kevin Castle of GKC outfitters on Facebook here in the US makes them, and Simon Hardie of Ash Down Forest Crafts in the UK makes scales and sheaths for them.

These are some of the scales that Kevin makes.
20180804_231021.jpg

On another note, both of the larger models; the SCHF42 and 42D, now have the finer jimping like the SCHF55
20180804_231134.jpg

20180804_231336.jpg

Back