Scored a Mamushi, need sheath

I just scored this yesterday! Very excited.

Mamushi-
3/32" (.103" ) CPM154 Tapered Tang
Thunderstorm Kevlar over Natural w/ Ruby Red G10
Natural Pinout and Lanyard Tube
OAL 8”
Blade 3 7/8”

I have been looking through all the sheath posts, but would like some personal recommendations. I'd like the possibility of both inside pocket carry, as well as on a belt (though less often). I've contacted Joufuu to see what he recommends, but what say you guys? I've never used a leather sheath before and it seems like it would go nicely with this knife, but as an edc, would kydex be better?

Last edited:
There are several leather guys out there who are regulars on the forum..Diomedes is one Joufu another. Take some time and research the forum and you'll no doubt come up with what you're looking for! Good Luck

Thanks Varga49. I think I've narrowed the leather sheaths down, and may order some kydex sheets and try my luck making my own. I seem to have lots of time at the moment.

Mamushi is pushing it for pocket carry. David Brown / Buy Brown does great custom kydex work. My mamushi rides w/diomedes industry in a custom dangler. I can't recommend any of the prefit ones at this time.

I'm not sure it would scratch Chris's cpm154. I've had kydex scratch INFI, 01, A2, Hitachi white steel, and 52100. It might scratch with a poor fit and dust in the kydex, but at this hardness I would be surprised to see kydex scratching much.

Mamushi is pushing it for pocket carry. David Brown / Buy Brown does great custom kydex work. My mamushi rides w/diomedes industry in a custom dangler. I can't recommend any of the prefit ones at this time.

I agree!! I'm shopping the same market after getting the one off Mamushi [slightly shorter handle and slightly longer blade] haven't tried it in my Diomedes [I forget the name but it's the midsisize one] that fits my Trailhand(s) but will soon...Might consider a dangler although I never liked that style too much years ago!

I think it will fit your trail hand sheath! The handle profiles are similar. Actually, the trail hand is a little wider above the finger notch. Mamushi should fit nicely.

I'm not sure it would scratch Chris's cpm154. I've had kydex scratch INFI, 01, A2, Hitachi white steel, and 52100. It might scratch with a poor fit and dust in the kydex, but at this hardness I would be surprised to see kydex scratching much.

I have other another maker's custom in CPM154 and it got scratches from kydex. But again, I agree that it probably does depend on how the fit is and if there was any extra room built in around the blade.

Also .. My favorite sheath for the Mamushi is a JouFuu HB-2 ambi belt sheath.

Just some quick cell phone pics here for some comparisons and a disclaimer. Hope these help!

Disclaimers/notes: I'm probably a creature of habit and figure if it works then there's no need to change it. :) My preferred carry is on the belt and concealed under a shirt, tight to the body. My belt is a beltman belt 1.5" wide and I've probably had it since around '95. The JouFuu ambi belt sheaths fit nice and snug on my belt so there's no rotation. I don't have any "extra" of me hanging over the belt so take that into consideration. :-D

For comparison purposes, some carbon fiber goodness from Chris. Top to bottom: Warthog, Mamushi, Apache
20170619_1551222-vi.jpg

When it makes sense give handle width and the blade length being close, I sometimes share a sheath between knives. The Mamushi and Warthog share a JouFuu HB-2 sheath (top and bottom in the next pic). Although the Apache could use a JouFuu 4"er sheath, I like having handle to grab onto and I like how the smaller sheath is more concealable with less blade/sheath below the belt line. So the Apache is also carried in an HB-2 sheath (middle in the next pic)
MamushiApacheWarthoginHB2s-vi.jpg

Additional shot on-belt and back view of sheaths (Mamushi on left, Apache on right)
MamushiApacheinHB2sonbelt-vi.jpg

Your reply is incredibly in depth! Thanks for that. I definitely like the option on wearing on the belt, but how would you feel about putting it in your front pocket?
I was expecting the handle to protrude further out. Nice to see it in perspective.

Your reply is incredibly in depth! Thanks for that. I definitely like the option on wearing on the belt, but how would you feel about putting it in your front pocket?
I was expecting the handle to protrude further out. Nice to see it in perspective.
You're welcome, no problemo.

Mmmmmmm I gave this some thought so let me start by saying that, out of about 125 custom fixed blades that have gone through my hands in the past year, I've only ever cut myself (about 3 times) with Chris' knives. :) His knives come more that scary sharp.

I have also pocket carried fixed blades up to the size of an Fiddleback Old School Ladyfinger.

That being said, I'd pocket carry a Warthog, Trailhand or EDU but I kind of cringe at the thought of either the Mamushi or Raptor in the pocket. They're both super pointy besides the sharp factor. Look close at the bottom back of the Mamushi sheath .. the tip dug in at some point and cut the inside a little, trying to escape. I probably did that while not taking my time resheathing it. I'd hate for the tip to do that whilst in a pocket and make its way into a leg. Length-wise it would be workable for inside the pocket though.

Yikes! The thought of slicing my femoral artery kinda make me cringe! I think I will choose one of his sheaths with a pocket clip. It can ride inside my pocket (seems more protection on those) and clip it outside of my pocket while requiring it more. Does that seem acceptable you you guys?

I'm not really sure about any input/advice to give on that one. A lot of this is personal preference and what each person is comfortable with. In the end, I've decided that I'd rather have a folder in the pocket and a fixed blade on the belt. Generally, the folder doesn't take as much length in the pocket and tends to be thinner than a fixed blade plus sheath. So I might not be the best person to give input on fixed ISPs. :)

I get that, warrior108. I stopped carrying folders about 4 years ago. I'm a skinny guy who usually wears Carharrt cargo pants, so I find I can pocket carry fixed blades quite easily.
Looking forward to seeing the new knife arrive!
Oh I ordered a JouFuu sheath with a pocket clip. I hope it works out for me.

I get that, warrior108. I stopped carrying folders about 4 years ago. I'm a skinny guy who usually wears Carharrt cargo pants, so I find I can pocket carry fixed blades quite easily.
Looking forward to seeing the new knife arrive!
Oh I ordered a JouFuu sheath with a pocket clip. I hope it works out for me.

Are you saying I'm fat? hahahahahaha (totally kidding)

That's cool .. be sure to let us know how you like the knife and the knife/sheath carry option.

Chris was gracious enough to let me use one of his duds to start developing patterns for the Mamushi. Here's the first specific pattern for it. This one is available, but I'll be making more by request.

20170710_024336.jpg

Back