Seax WIP

Bill Siegle

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
So I finally got around to working on this project for a very patient friend :) The possibility of the blade shape taking a nose dive during the quench had me very nervous but it came out of the oil as straight as it went in :) This is either a large knife or a short sword at 22 3/8in overall with a 16inch blade. People have used blades in this size for tools and weapons for centuries and holding this one in hand, I can see why! Here are a few pics as it comes to life!
All roughed out and fresh from the oven.

Getting the fullers started.

Bevels in and a quick scotchbrite buff.

This will be wearing some natural micarta scales. Should age beautifully with some use :)

nice !
I guess you'll be able to find out soon enough, but any guesses about final weight? Measures of blade weight?

Last edited:
When It is complete, I will post all it's specs :)

Oh, my. I hope I get to see this one in person.

mmmmmmmmmm........
I do like me some langseax!
looking forward to pics of the finished item.
you're a lucky man!

OMG Bill that is stunning!!!! :eek:
I can't wait to see the WIP shots!!! :thumbup:

Getting a little bit further down the road :) Handles are drilled and cut out for the Seax and a few others. Decided to call it a day after accidentally bumping my booger hook into the band saw blade :( Not a lot of damage as it hit at an angle and only got a small slice due to slow speeds. Had a heck of a jolt though as it took a few seconds to figure out it was not as bad as it felt like.

Ouch! No cutting off your fingers!!!! :grumpy: --- ;)

The handle slabs look great, can't wait for the next installment of the Seax!!! :thumbup:

Band saws and fingers are a bad match. My neighbor was using his finger for a push stick.
Yeah, he did.:eek:

Been super busy but I managed to get the scales attached yesterday :)

Back