Sebenza Maintenance

Make sure there is no lube on the lockbar face.

I remember there was a guide on the old CRK website where they recommended to ad a bit of lube on the lock area.

So what is the general opinion? Is this a do or don't?

I remember there was a guide on the old CRK website where they recommended to ad a bit of lube on the lock area.

So what is the general opinion? Is this a do or don't?

In my opinion? Don't.. reducing the coefficient of friction between things that you don't want to move unless by your influence is a bad idea.
It also attracts dirt..

As stated in the instructional, these are guidelines and you can do what works for you..even if you want to put lube on the lockbar face.

I see a Ti-Lock in your pictures. I am curious if and how you clean that knife, and whether it is easy.
I don't own it but am quite interested in getting one.
Thanks.

Miso

excellent work sir! ive been also watching The ApostleP's method as well but havent taken apart the knife yet. Prolly will do so this weekend to see what I can do.

I see a Ti-Lock in your pictures. I am curious if and how you clean that knife, and whether it is easy.
I don't own it but am quite interested in getting one.
Thanks.

Miso

I have taken it apart..Wanted to see what was involved before I did a tutorial on it like this one.
The Ti-Lock is one of the knives that CRK does not really want to be user serviceable. I can do a tutorial, but it will be unofficial.

Wow! Thanks for the new thread as the unofficial Ti-Lock maintenance guide!
And one for Umnumzaan as well! How efficient.....

Miso

Cant seem to make te pictures show for me

Give it some time. Photobucket isn't the greatest photosharing site. At some point, I will transition the pictures to another sharing site to alleviate these types of issues.

Give it some time. Photobucket isn't the greatest photosharing site. At some point, I will transition the pictures to another sharing site to alleviate these types of issues.

If by that you mean is increasing stinks on ice, then yes, I agree.

Hey, every time I put my 21 together, and I put some grease in the detent hole.. my Sebenza 21 develops lock stick. I do the same thing with my small sebenza and it has none of these issues. I've tried to send it in to CRK but they sent it back saying there is no issue. I am not sure what to do / where to go from here.

I don't put grease on the detent hole if possible.
It would be interesting to see the result of running it dry.
Try that for a few days- Clean everything up with a bit of alcohol and reassemble.

I don't put grease on the detent hole if possible.
It would be interesting to see the result of running it dry.
Try that for a few days- Clean everything up with a bit of alcohol and reassemble.

I will try running it dry for couple days or a week. I will try cleaning it now and post my results.

EDIT:

I just cleaned it up. Running dry right now. Still runs really well. It has very slight lock stick still. I took some pictures of the lock face. I don't know if this is normal or not.

CmHcAoq.jpg

Gkf5l9I.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty normal..Some deformation is to be expected and that is what you are seeing here.

Pretty normal..Some deformation is to be expected and that is what you are seeing here.

I will run it dry for couple days to a week and just continue trying to break it in and go from there. It is just weird to me that my small has no lock stick whatsoever and I grease the detent track on that, but my large does.

I will run it dry for couple days to a week and just continue trying to break it in and go from there. It is just weird to me that my small has no lock stick whatsoever and I grease the detent track on that, but my large does.

There really isn't a good reason to grease the detent track at all. Moving and rotating parts should be the focus leaving the lockbar and detent.

If you poll the collectors and users of this forum, I think you will find that anyone that adds lubrication to the detent, lockbar to be in the extreme minority. These users are really having any issues, myself included. Keep the lubricant on the washers between the blade and on the pivot bushing and you should be fine :)

I have taken apart may L21 insingo this weekend for a cleaning and lubing. Easy as it gets.

My question is that it now seems the blade favors the presentation scale just a hair, off center when closed. Not rubbing, or anything, but I am wondering if it can be recentered. In my Spyderco's, I loosen the pivot and maybe the first scale fastener and hold the blade to the side it needs to go to. Then re-tighten everything. Will this work with the L21? I didn't notice the off center blade until after I had put all the tools away or I would have tried it. Is the collective experience that the close tolerances on the CRK going to prevail and the centering is what it is, or can it be tweaked?

There really isn't a good reason to grease the detent track at all. Moving and rotating parts should be the focus leaving the lockbar and detent.

If you poll the collectors and users of this forum, I think you will find that anyone that adds lubrication to the detent, lockbar to be in the extreme minority. These users are really having any issues, myself included. Keep the lubricant on the washers between the blade and on the pivot bushing and you should be fine :)

Its been about a week, the lock stick reduced by about 25%. It is still noticeable and annoying. My Sebenza is also at about 80% lockup. I'm not sure what else to do other than just use it and hope it goes away.

Its been about a week, the lock stick reduced by about 25%. It is still noticeable and annoying. My Sebenza is also at about 80% lockup. I'm not sure what else to do other than just use it and hope it goes away.

My 21 has had lock stick from day 1. It's 2016 model and has way more deformation on the lock face than yours, it's also never once been flicked open ever in it's life, so don't worry about it. I'm in Australia so i'll be dammed if i'm sending my knife overseas to CRK get looked at for a couple months. I'm going to use the crap out of it and let it be whatever it becomes. It's a crapshoot in the lockstick department mate, some have it and some don't. All it takes is the smallest difference in angle geometry where the lockbar hits the tang and it can wedge in a bit too much and stick. Or the slightest bit of heat treat difference on the lock bar. Just use it and don't look back.

My 21 has had lock stick from day 1. It's 2016 model and has way more deformation on the lock face than yours, it's also never once been flicked open ever in it's life, so don't worry about it. I'm in Australia so i'll be dammed if i'm sending my knife overseas to CRK get looked at for a couple months. I'm going to use the crap out of it and let it be whatever it becomes. It's a crapshoot in the lockstick department mate, some have it and some don't. All it takes is the smallest difference in angle geometry where the lockbar hits the tang and it can wedge in a bit too much and stick. Or the slightest bit of heat treat difference on the lock bar. Just use it and don't look back.

I just wish when I sent it back the first time they would have fixed it. My small 21 has no lock stick whatsoever.

Back