Second CRK... need some help

Hello Blade Forums.

My name is Joe. This is my first post, but I have lurked for a long time. This is actually a repost from another forum, but I know how active the CRK room is on BF, so I knew I'd get some great feedback here. Here is my issue...

I posted a pic of my first CRK a couple weeks back; a silver small 21. I was warned it would not be my last. I freed up some internet dollars, and I am ready for #2. I have some thoughts, but I could use a nudge in the right direction.

Option 1- Large Silver 21. I like the big brother/little brother thing. I did not know what a pivot bushing was 4 weeks ago, now I can't imagine buying a folder without one. BUT, I just sold my Dauntless because I found it too large to carry M-F. The large Seb will be relegated to weekend carry.

Option 2- Small Silver 21 Insingo. Everything I love about the design and form factor of the small 21, but with a new blade shape that many love. It would also give me a good swap knife if I have its brother in for service/sharpening. BUT, it is basically the knife I already own with a slightly different blade shape. This brings me dangerously close to collecting, and I am trying really hard not to be a collector.

Option 3- Small Silver Inkosi. A well spoken of knife on several forums. This knife had my eye for some time, but I went with the 21 because it seemed like my first CRK had to be a 21. Like the size. It is a little different from my 21, so it would be fun to own both and do a little compare/contrast of the two designs. BUT, No pivot bushing (see option 1) - I can't tell if this... and Finger choiles, and aggressive jumping, and ceramic ball interface, and smaller size, and blade grind, and angled clip, and floating stop pin... improves the Inkosi in every way compared to the Sebenza, or makes it worse in every way compared to the Sebenza. Will the Inkosi be around in 10 years? Why is it the only TNK exclusive still available?

Option 4 - wild card... Professional soldier. I kind of want a small fixed blade that I can just romp on with no regard. The price point is low risk relative to the other choices. BUT, its use will be limited to yard work, home improvement, and day hikes. Also, I know this is stupid, but I wish CRK would have called this knife anything other than the Professional Soldier. I am the furthest thing from being a professional soldier, so me carrying something designed for high speed/low drag is insulting to actual professional soldiers everywhere. Also, there are like 4 reviews of this knife, and only two of them are in English, so I can not get a great concensus.

Thanks for indulging my ramble. I think I am leaning, but I'd love some thoughts from the community.

I'll tell ya, I just got my second CRK, a small plain 21, that I traded my small inkosi for, and I wouldn't say that the inkosi is better in every way to a sebenza. After having one and now having the other, the differences are rather apparent. The inkosi definitely feels tougher than the 21, just due to the thicker blade and beefy pivot, but I'm sure the actual difference in strength is miniscule. I'm not sure if they are different enough that I would want both at the same time though. Personally I'd spring for a Ti-lock, the true wild card.

I'd go for a large 21 with Micarta inserts for grip but with a different blade style. Thats just me.

The Ti-Lock is something I Have been looking into. So different. The G&G Hawk heritage plus CRK manufacturing is a pretty interesting combo. One thing that keeps it off the top of my list is the bearings. I prefer bronze washers. Not ruled out.

Micarta inlays are supposed to be pretty nice. Also nice that they can be refinished. But I don't love the premium, and I think that plain scales appeal to me more.

You guys are enablers... I list 4 knives that interest me, and you add two more to the list.

All good choices. I carry mostly smalls but I have a large and enjoy carrying it weekends. I love the inkosi and insingos as well. I think the inkosi and small insingo with micarta inlays are becoming classic EDC options. You really can't go wrong. In terms of your question on the inkosi pivot, it's different from the bushing but the action is smoother IMO. Just takes a little more fiddling to get it right. I wouldn't call it an improvement or a drawback. Just different. The lockup is also different as the inkosi has the large ceramic ball and it has a different sound. It is smaller than a 21 but not by a large amount and I feel it's a tougher knife than a 21.

If you feel like the large is too bog to carry five times out of seven maybe it is too large to be practical for you.

Even though the small Inkosi is abit smaller than the small 21; the large inkosi is the exact same size as the large 21. So if the large 21 is too big for you then the large Inkosi will be the same thing.

That said my large Inkosi is one of the nicest knives I own. Everyone should have one including yourself.

Welcome to BFC jfowler1 !!!!!!!!
You threw me with the description "silver 21", then I realized you are describing a plain 21.
If you have the fever and are becoming an addict to CRK's, then your reasoning to not be a collector is out the window. Both the Insingo and small Inkosi are great choices. I've got three large Inkosi's and absolutely love the knife. Most folks that have gotten a Inkosi love them. But on the other hand I've read nothing but good things about the Insingo. So, for your next CRK, go with what you know and get the Insingo, because you will definitely have more than two. You can make the Inkosi the one after this buy :):)

Thanks for the input. The knives I am referring to as "silver" are dealer exclusives that come with a silver thumb stud and silver hardware.

A small insingo with micarta inlays was my first
It has been completed by a small silver Inkosi and a large CF Inkosi since that time
I am now waiting for a large Damascus 21

It's funny you post this because I am in a similar boat as you. My first was a small insingo micarta I got last September. The ones I am thinking about are the knifeart carbon fiber insingo, wilson combat starbenza, or a regular insingo (all smalls). You sound like me actually. I know I won't carry a large enough to justify the price but damn the umnumzaan looks amazing too! Another option would be order one from chris reeve (with double lugs).

So here is where I am...

PS is out for now (maybe forever). It is not me, I do not know if the style will hold up, and it's use will be extremely limited.

Small Insingo is out. Nice knife, well liked, but it is basically the knife I have.

So I am down to Large 21 (PJ silver) or Small Inkosi (PJ silver).

I see a possible future with S/L Sebenza and S/L Inkosi, so I am not going to fret much when narrowing down these two. I can also see myself continuing to EDC my small 21 through the work week (it is a perfect knife), and flipping to a large 21 or large Inkosi on Saturday and Sunday respectively.

In every scenario, there is a large 21 in my future, so that is how I am leaning for now.

I'd go with a large 21, no question. Insingo if you prefer. Perfect combo with your existing small 21.

F94AD1E9-CA02-4E60-8134-D759AE96B933_zpszur3qxhk.jpg

The large 21 is a nice knife, but if you start out thinking it will be a weekend only knife then eventually it might not get carried at all! Personally, I would go for the Inkosi. They are similar, yet quite different.

Anarchy84 - that is the one! Call me crazy, but the blue anodizing always turned me off, but I love the silver.

Currently out of stock on the large 21, but I am going to try wait it out. If the money starts burning a hole in my paypal pocket, then I will pull the trigger on the Inkosi. I think it is a win win.

Well, some funds freed up last night, and the money burned its way right through....

Small Inkosi is on order.

I will try to do a little comparison thread once I've had some time with the Inkosi.

Thanks for all the input

Well, some funds freed up last night, and the money burned its way right through....

Small Inkosi is on order.

I will try to do a little comparison thread once I've had some time with the Inkosi.

Thanks for all the input
You probably couldn't have gone wrong either way but I think you made a great choice. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

I have liberated the Small Inkosi from its packaging.

While looking superficially similar to my Small Sebenza, IMO, these are very different knives.

I am loving the smooth and intuitive action, and lock up is equally perfect to the Sebenza.

I'll follow up after I carry this thing for a while, but I predict that it will be a keeper.

Back