Sell my Benchmades? Move on to better knives?

Thanks for the opinions. If there is a way to move the thread i would gladly put it in the right section. I don't have issues with burnt blades or uneven grinds. The north fork does not have a smooth/effortless action. disengaging the axis lock is perfect. But the blade takes too much effort in my opinion and doesn't drop freely when released. Takes a hard flick to shut it. The Freek is almost perfect. The rubber spacers that run between the scales are off. Basically both scales don't line up straight. Again off center. The Grip is the only one that is basically perfect besides off center. So if i can fix the centering i'm halfway there. But my higher end ZT and sebenza has spoiled me to get another knife of that caliber. And that's why i'm thinking about selling. to fund a better knife. I will post pics when i get home. I love the look of the north fork that's why i bought it. But it doesn't get much use. It is a little chunky and i hate the pocket clip. But as far as collecting i would love to keep all 3. The suggestions for a higher end benchmade like a 940 is a good idea. But then again, 3 benchmades off center i would prefer to try a different higher end brand. The brands i'm interested in are WE, Al Mar, Hinderer, Lionsteel or maybe a high end spyderco like a bowie. I have two sage's and a para3 which i love.

All the brands you mentioned have their fans here on the forum for a variety of reasons. As companies, I'm sure they all have their own QC problems as well. The adage around here as of late has been "never buy a Benchmade sight unseen," but that could hold true for just about any knife from any brand/company. The practice of "try before you buy" will likely save you a lot of money/headaches on knife purchases that you're undecided on and help to alleviate those F&F issues you brought up. If you find yourself moving away from Benchmades as of late though, it's up to you if you want to sell them (at a loss more than likely), but again, I'd suggest keeping one/all of them. As functional tools, they definitely aren't chopped liver (especially the grip)!

Last edited:
The north fork does not have a smooth/effortless action. disengaging the axis lock is perfect. But the blade takes too much effort in my opinion and doesn't drop freely when released. Takes a hard flick to shut it.
Have you adjusted the pivot yet? Don't complain about the action until you do that. Have you polished the washers?

It is a little chunky and i hate the pocket clip.
so, call and request a different clip. They're free...

But as far as collecting i would love to keep all 3. The suggestions for a higher end benchmade like a 940 is a good idea. But then again, 3 benchmades off center i would prefer to try a different higher end brand. The brands i'm interested in are WE, Al Mar, Hinderer, Lionsteel or maybe a high end spyderco like a bowie. I have two sage's and a para3 which i love.
My 940-1 was perfectly centered, as is my 940-1501. I sold my ZT0808 and 0801. The 940-1501 stayed.

If you think that by buying a more expensive knife you're going to enter the realm of perfection you are in for a rude awakening. I've had Sebenzas with ridiculous lock stick, bad centering and uneven grinds. And plenty of other $500 plus knives with issues that made me get rid of them. It's a gamble no matter what you buy, unless you handle the knife in person first. Plus, when it comes to knives, the idea of a "better" knife is 100% in the eye of the user. Some people think medfords are the best thing ever, but i myself think they're useless paper weights. It's really all about what you like and what aspects or funtions in a knife you find that tick your boxes.

As for your question, i have some Benchmades I'll never sell, like my M390 Contego, 940, 943, Adamas and Stryker. But i have some i sold off that just didn't do it for me. Only you can decide my friend.

Last edited:
All the brands you mentioned have their fans here on the forum for a variety of reasons. As companies, I'm sure they all have their own QC problems as well. The adage around here as of late has been "never buy a Benchmade sight unseen," but that could hold true for just about any knife from any brand/company. The practice of "try before you buy" will likely save you a lot of money/headaches on knife purchases that you're undecided on and help to alleviate those F&F issues you brought up. If you find yourself moving away from Benchmades as of late though, it's up to you if you want to sell them (at a loss more than likely), but again, I'd suggest keeping one/all of them. As functional tools, they definitely aren't chopped liver (especially the grip)!
no, they have constant issues, the most well known for the majority of knives is not centered, uneven blade grinds, side to side and or up and down blade play. among many other fit and finish issues. yes every company has issues, but they are not nearly as common as this brand.

They have acknowledge thats its an issue.

and as mentioned before they are working on making that better.

Last edited:
no, they have constant issues, the most well known for the majority of knives is not centered, uneven blade grinds, side to side and or up and down blade play. among many other fit and finish issues. yes every company has issues, but they are not nearly as common as this brand.

They have acknowledge thats its an issue.

and as mentioned before they are working on making that better.
True, you do hear of quite a few benchmades with those issues. I've been lucky enough to have had good luck, out of about 12 benchmades I've only had one that had some issues, all others have been almost perfect. The small vertical play most talk about is actually due to some play in the pivot hole and pivot screw, not the lock so much. It's always a gamble, it's funny i held off on a sebenza back in the day for so long, then my first one came and it was a lemon, oh well. Hopefully all manufacturers start tightening up their machining a little.

True, you do hear of quite a few benchmades with those issues. I've been lucky enough to have had good luck, out of about 12 benchmades I've only had one that had some issues, all others have been almost perfect. The small vertical play most talk about is actually due to some play in the pivot hole and pivot screw, not the lock so much. It's always a gamble, it's funny i held off on a sebenza back in the day for so long, then my first one came and it was a lemon, oh well. Hopefully all manufacturers start tightening up their machining a little.
my Sebenza came perfect. but the carbon fiber version does have a flaw iirc (something about blade centering not perfect). in any case, yea, not even CRK will have perfect knife every time. just some companies are much better than others overall.

no, they have constant issues, the most well known for the majority of knives is not centered, uneven blade grinds, side to side and or up and down blade play. among many other fit and finish issues.

Yes they do (at least as of late anyhow), which is why I suggested that before purchasing a Benchmade one handles the Benchmade they intend to purchase beforehand. And yes, while QC issues with other companies would seem by all measures to be less prevalent, having the chance to give any knife you intend to purchase (especially ones that cost a fair bit of coin) a once-over in-hand before purchasing would be nice for all sorts of reasons would it not?

Yes they do (at least as of late anyhow), which is why I suggested that before purchasing a Benchmade one handles the Benchmade they intend to purchase beforehand. And yes, while QC issues with other companies would seem by all measures to be less prevalent, having the chance to give any knife you intend to purchase (especially ones that cost a fair bit of coin) a once-over in-hand before purchasing would be nice for all sorts of reasons would it not?

yes, dont buy sight unseen unless you have zero issues sending it in to benchmade after purchase. best to goto a store to handle one as you mention.

DLT trading a vendor here will inspect the knives before shipping out "if requested" so thats a very good thing they do if you request that to be done. i would NOT expect them to do it unless asked tho. some other vendors will do this but not every vendor will. i assume some vendors will also provide for additional cost sharpening, but i dunno which ones.

but in all honesty they are working to get better at this recently. there will def be issues that popup as discussed every manufacturer has issues. so no matter what you may still get an issue from now and then, but overall you will see an improvement on "newer" manufactured knives. anything currently on shelves is going to be variable.

Like a lot of us here. My first big step into the higher spectrum of knives started with a benchmade. Large Griptilian sheepsfoot to be specific. I was hooked by the action and smoothness. I bought a few more after it (North fork & Freek) It was until i went to ZT & CRK that I started to think differently about my Benchmades. I started to read about their quality control issues. I notice they are all off center and just not quite perfect enough for me. Once i went up to the ZT & Sebenza i became spoiled with the perfection. I'm having a tough time deciding if i should sell all 3 and step up to another 3-400 dollar knife with the perfection i'm looking for. Or maybe spend a little more money and step up to something a little better.
I do like the idea of either keeping my Freek or Grip for a higher end knife that i can beat up and not hurt any feelings

So here are my questions.

-Should i get rid of my benchmades for something with more quality that i'm used to
-What would be something in the the 3-500 dollar range other than a ZT or Sebenza that would give me that perfection. Maybe Hinderer? (i don't know exactly how expensive they are. like 600?
I've purchased two Benchmade knives in the past couple of months... a Griptilian G-10 and a Presidio 2.
Online I've read much about quality control issues etc, but my two knives have perfect centering, no bade play... just solid. Fit and finish nice as well.
In June I bought a Sebenza 21 at the Bladeshow, and I've been disappointed in that knife since. That knife did not live up to the hype.
Everything I'd hoped for in that knife I found in BOTH of the new Benchmades. They are a joy to use.

I've purchased two Benchmade knives in the past couple of months... a Griptilian G-10 and a Presidio 2.
Online I've read much about quality control issues etc, but my two knives have perfect centering, no bade play... just solid. Fit and finish nice as well.
In June I bought a Sebenza 21 at the Bladeshow, and I've been disappointed in that knife since. That knife did not live up to the hype.
Everything I'd hoped for in that knife I found in BOTH of the new Benchmades. They are a joy to use.
why didnt you send back the Sebenza to get fixed?

i have benchmades and a sebenza, i like the sebenza better in every way (except steel type) and i use these knives. one thing is for sure, sebenza is not for everyone's tastes. what hype? no one really hypes about it. i mean its known for great tolerances smooth hydrolic action. its value is great because they stay about the same or get better in value. they are collector pieces too. just so happens they are useful knives aswell, but nothing hyped about its use, as other knives are better in that respect

Last edited:
I think if you like and carry your benchmades you should keep them to use and save towards whatever knife calls to you by doing some reasearch and looking at what appeals to you personally and will accomplish the cutting tasks you uses them for.

That being said I haven't purchased a Benchmade in years but have some that are great knives ... have heard some QC issues recently but I can't speak on that I"ve not dealt with them in awhile .

ZT makes several knives I like and a few I love and carry alot. And make some wonderful knives.

CRK Sebenzas again I have a handful of sizes and styles and they are well deserving of the respect they get from knife owners ... great knives.

I own a few Hinderers that I like but can't say I like them alot better then the ZTs ... but they have enough differences in some that I have a few and think they are another very high quaility sturdy knife.

After the brands you"ve mentioned you kind of step into custom ranges which I only own a couple customs both fixed blade

So I guess my overall advice is try to handle some different knives ... reasearch the ones that you like the style of and find what appeals to you ... you may be surprised that after youve spent a big lump sum on one knife that you may not think they are worth the premium costs over others.

Keep the knives you enjoy and use ... sell the rest as you arent getting any good out of them anyway and don't worry about chasing knives because they cost alot or because they have a fan base on youtube or somewhere ... find what you love and follow that and it will take you towards the right knives for you ... whatever the price range.

why didnt you send back the Sebenza to get fixed?

i have benchmades and a sebenza, i like the sebenza better in every way (except steel type) and i use these knives. one thing is for sure, sebenza is not for everyone's tastes. what hype? no one really hypes about it. i mean its known for great tolerances smooth hydrolic action. its value is great because they stay about the same or get better in value. they are collector pieces too. just so happens they are useful knives aswell, but nothing hyped about its use, as other knives are better in that respect
No fit/finish issue with Sebenza, just that it won't hold an edge. I mean the hype being it's the "best" work knife on the market. Sebenza does not hold up to my 2 Benchmades nor any of my Spyderco knives. My Sebenza can't even come close to what I can do with my Delica 4 as far as a tough work knife goes.

No fit/finish issue with Sebenza, just that it won't hold an edge. I mean the hype being it's the "best" work knife on the market. Sebenza does not hold up to my 2 Benchmades nor any of my Spyderco knives. My Sebenza can't even come close to what I can do with my Delica 4 as far as a tough work knife goes.
Who said it's the best? And define won't hold an edge. Did you get an older version which tend to be softer? If not maybe you got one with a bad ht? It's possible, they are production knives after all. Cut tests of recent models, indicates they hold very good edges. Not like m4 or high m390 etc.

Who said it's the best? And define won't hold an edge. Did you get an older version which tend to be softer? If not maybe you got one with a bad ht? It's possible, they are production knives after all. Cut tests of recent models, indicates they hold very good edges. Not like m4 or high m390 etc.
Re: "Define won't hold an edge' O.K... having to sharpen 3 times during a workday where I don't have to do that with other knives. Re: "Who's says best?" Tons of Youtube reviewers. Really, it's no big deal, I have my Spydies and Benchmades that do everything and more for what I need in a good working knife. I tip my hat for those who love Sebenzas, rock on, mine is just not as good as my other knives. It was a disappointment.

Re: "Define won't hold an edge' O.K... having to sharpen 3 times during a workday where I don't have to do that with other knives. Re: "Who's says best?" Tons of Youtube reviewers. Really, it's no big deal, I have my Spydies and Benchmades that do everything and more for what I need in a good working knife. I tip my hat for those who love Sebenzas, rock on, mine is just not as good as my other knives. It was a disappointment.
Well if you look at Jim Ankersons and Cedric Ada testing the current generation s35vn works flawless in there cut testing for the sebenza's. You can probably send it back for them to fix for you. And oh man sorry to hear some YouTuber got you on there opinionated bable about work knives. It's certainly no slouch for sure tho.

I've read a number of opinions on different forums that the heat treatment runs soft for Chris Reeve knives. That the edge issue seems to be common as the steel he tends to run on the soft side. I REALLY want to like this knife, but when I use it, I get disappointed with it. My knife was made last year... I don't know if that makes a difference. What might I expect sending it in to them and explain my issue of edge retention? Thank you, by the way for your insight, I appreciate greatly!

I've read a number of opinions on different forums that the heat treatment runs soft for Chris Reeve knives. That the edge issue seems to be common as the steel he tends to run on the soft side. I REALLY want to like this knife, but when I use it, I get disappointed with it. My knife was made last year... I don't know if that makes a difference. What might I expect sending it in to them and explain my issue of edge retention? Thank you, by the way for your insight, I appreciate greatly!
Older versions ran soft. Your new one should last quite awhile. I'm sure your cert that came with it should be 58-60 range. Unless your not sharpening it correctly (which is possible) . Else it's a ht issue. I would let crk determine that. Just like any mass produced knife, a few will pass through.

Back