Sending a box of knives to Canada

I'm giving half my Himalayan Imports khukri collection to my brother who lives in Vancouver, Canada.

Problem is, I'm not sure of the Canadian laws regarding large bladed implements being imported into the country.

Can anybody tell me with certainty if there would be a problem sending a large box of about a dozen khukris, ranging from 5 inch kerambits to long 18-20 inch khukris, from New Jersey to Vancouver via USPS? I would of course declare them in the customs forms as Khukri blades.

Thanks in advance.

They're fine. The CBSA cares about stuff like balis and switchblades and some flippers but something like that won't have a problem.

Just make sure you note the value of it all reasonably.

Declare as " used cutlery " x # units in the box. Value is up to you. If used then 20 a piece is fine. If mint then 50. Make sure you note CAD for currency otherwise they will value at USD for any duty/tax applicable. Gift box checked off too if you can. Do not be any more descriptive. Less is more.

I don't think you are likely to have a problem.

I've purchased about a dozen kukris from Yangdu of Himalayan imports and never had a problem in importing them into BC, Alberta, or Quebec. Also, I once crossed the border from the US into Canada with a box of about twenty (!!) machetes I purchased in Mexico. On a Greyhound Bus, no less. The border police certainly had some questions for me... "Why do you need so many machetes?" but after I said "I collect em'!" they shrugged and let me go on my way.

I will be moving to Canada also(Vancuver) and I have small collection ( 2 large bowies 10inc,and couple flipers -z.t. 0562,z.t.0301 ,z.t0392 ) what do you think,will there be any problems? I said to the airlines that i have some camping gear with knives and axes,they replied it is ok,but I did not contact enybody at custom service?

I will be moving to Canada also(Vancuver) and I have small collection ( 2 large bowies 10inc,and couple flipers -z.t. 0562,z.t.0301 ,z.t0392 ) what do you think,will there be any problems? I said to the airlines that i have some camping gear with knives and axes,they replied it is ok,but I did not contact enybody at custom service?

Should be ok, but be careful with flippers. The CBSA has been very loose on the ruling of flippers. Assisted knives from the border atm in Canada (carrying is fine) and some CBSA officers may seize flippers, because they say its the same as assisted knives. My advice is to tighten the pivots down so they can't be flipped open quickly. Also welcome to Canada

Check the Vancouver city, and surrounding suburbs for bylaws, just so you know what and when you can carry. As to the pivots, its common wisdom that gets repeated a lot, but I've never seen any first hand source that gave any evidence for that. That said, they have classed flippers as switchblades, so you won't win a face to face argument with them. In this case, the pivot may not matter in the slightest.

Back