Serrated Steak Knives?

Serrated steak knives rip the meat, therefore it's very hard to cut a thin slice of meat. Your best bet is to purchase steak knives that are not serrated and not super hard steel. Steak knives that are what they call differentially heat treated stay at a Rockwell hardness of around 58-59 is perfect! Remember to use a good high-end steel. If it's heat treated properly then it will hold a razor edge and be able to cut clean and super thin if needed. In my opinion Wusthof Trident make the best steak knives. They are forged out of the one solid piece of surgical German steel and they will not rust either. Hope this helps you! We do sell them on our website at kuttersknives.com. At least you can check them out to see what they look like.

This is a bone of contention with my wife. She likes serrated steak knives, but is not much of meat eater. I prefer sharp slicers for my meat, I am a carnivore. My EDC always contains either an 8 or 10 Opinel efile and I use one of them in restaurants. At home is one of my sharpened and sharp paring knives for any meat.

Restaurants have not commented on my use of my own knike.

Barman covered the why. I love those walnut plates!:)

Martha Stewart would get her panties in a bunch but I use a straight edge but toss the meat on 2 paper plates that sit on the ceramic to act as a "cutting board" and stop slicing at the bottom of the meat.

Been known to whip out the pocket knife in restaurants as well.

Jim

Anyone remember the Spyderco Centofante print ad for the C25? It showed a fully serrated Spyderco/Centofante C25 slicing through a steak, some asparagus and the plate the food was served on. I bought that knife when it first came out and used it specifically for eating out at restaurants and dinners out at friends homes. I've been lookin' for that ad too, just cant seem to find any decent size copies.

Here's the knife, not mine but from the internet and mine has a black rubber inlay, I'm too lazy to take mine out for a pic. ;)

192137467537_1.jpg

I hate serrated knives, but:
IMNSHO, all eating knives that can be expected to be used on ceramic or by non-knife freaks should be serrated. No point having a knife that is only sharp the first time it is used.

Of course crappy serrated knives are still crappy knives. And most serrated table knives are crappy. :-(

you are cutting meat on a piece of glass or china. a good thin conventional edge will be quickly ruined. get some serrated ones that look nice. if the host or the cook cared that serrated knives may tear the meat, they would serve the meat sliced.

Back