SharpByCoop • Gallery of Customs

One of my better-kept secrets. Shhhhhhh! ;)

Coop

I like polarized filters too - but sometimes you can get strange results. For example, a pretty blue mountain lake is only blue because of the sky refelecting on the surface. Take out the reflection and the same lake could look dark green like a swamp!

On a totally different note, I thought I would just throw into the mix this outstanding shot Coop did on a Curt Erickson fighter. Thanks, Coop, came out terrific!
orig.jpg

Thanks Bob. Curt is doing exceptional work again. Back from a hiatus of not making knives for years.

This photo has all the trademarks of a style I have tried to develop. I love to show a tapered tang when it looks as good as this one, and you can see the other side of the scales in that view.

The large inset is NOT a larger version of the same sideview in the core image. It is expanded, but the angle is such that the viewer can see the all-important fitment of the blade into the guard. You will see that often, especially on the stock removal guys with solder joints. ( I don't know if Curt utilizes solder. Whatever he is doing is tight.)

Thanks again. :)

Coop

Coop - Curt told me he never uses solder when he fits and finishes a knife. I like to say "he relies on a bias toward perfection". And looking at what I have of his, the bias seems to be achieved EVERY time. Seeing the fit, it is hard to imagine anyone being able to achieve a better one. But what else would one expect of someone trained so well by Buster Warenski?

I have been super busy this summer. Lots of opportunities to work with fresh faces and really cool knives.

Here are some that haven't been posted. All clickable to larger:

Jeffrey Cornwall from Anchorage Alaska. It's his 'Mermaid' knife in pearl with Bob Eggerling's vibrant damascus.

I took a second shot of the other side:

Stephen Vanderkolff hails from Ontario Canada. This one will be sent to the Lark Books '500 knives' project:

Dan Gray is no stranger around Bladeforums. Here's a VERY stunning horn-handled dagger by him:

J.D. Smith, MS has been making quite a few warm pieces in the last year. Here's his latest (check out that guard) :

I did two shots for J.D. and we went back and forth. In the end he thought the first shot was his favorite. On this one I drew out the hamon:

Lastly, for those of you who are attending the Chicago Custom Knife Show, you may be attending friday night's 'Tactical Invitational' show. This will be made into a small poster to display, along with the other 13 makers names. Phil Boguszewski :

Please feel free to comment on any knife.

One SharpByCoop Kumbaya rule: Only negatives comments joined with a positive. ;)

Coop

In the digital business world, technology moves at speeds that most of us don't need to keep up with. On the other hand, the changes are imminent, and to not keep up with technology is to leave yourself vulnerable.

I live in the NYC metropolitan area, so I have more opportunities than most to stay abreast. Last month the Photo Plus Expo was a convention for 50,000 members held in the Jacob Javitts Center. I went there for two of the the four days, researching equipment and ideas. I had many areas I wanted to explore, and in the end I made some key purchases:

Strobes:
After I burned out my Norman setup while on-duty in Chicago, I was able to borrow a set of monolights. I am convinced this system is right for me. So I went to B&H and ended up purchasing this set of Dynalite strobes and a third for front fill-ins, when needed. I opted for larger reflectors which spread the light out smoother and less pinpoint.

Lenses: My primary lenses are both Canon fixed lenses--50 and 100mm macro. Each tends to be a compromise. The 50 is best for large blades and the 100 is just a bit too telephoto for anything but small folders. BOTh are great lenses. Fortunately Sigma just produced a fixed 70mm f2.8 EX DG Macro and the sharpness equals any lens on the market. I am quite pleased with it.

Printer: All the big players (Canon, Epson, HP) had large booths at this show, and each of them had incredible quality prints pumping out. What is important to me was a comparison of MY prints (Canon i9900) and MY files to the current output. That wasn't quite so easy to accomplish. (Imagine 50,000 people all wanting a personal print....). So with a bit of quiet talk and handshakes I was able to get a print from each of the vendors. I chose the Epson 3800 printer from InkJet Art.com. REALLY nice quality, and the prints look perfectly matched to my calibrated monitor without needing a custom color profile. At $55 per ink cartridge (There are nine) it is not cheap, but cost per milliliter is less than $0.75, so it actually is the least expensive in ink costs of the three vedors. (Tip: I have attempted to use aftermarket inks and custom profiles to adjust them. I spent days trying to make a less-expensive alternate look good. Never, ever, had them work well. For charts and graphs, that would be fine. But, not if someone is paying for a professional quality image.) OEM inks are formulated with viscosities and proprietary ingedients that outside vendors cannot duplicate.

Monitor: I spent more time researching this vital area than any other. In the end I learned a slew of information, and learned of the in-depth secrets that most monitor vedors will not share. (75% of the monitors have displays made by (LG Philips). What is the difference between TN, MVA, PVA, S-PVA, IPS, S-IPS? There IS a difference, and depending upon whether you are a gamer, a movie/video pro, a graphics pro, or a photography pro, they all have attributes that are better or worse than others. I found this exhaustive thread to be my baseline for learning.

I ended up purchasing a Dell 3007FWP-HC 30" monitor. It is a true IPS monitor and has other features (Pivot to portrait, card reader, and USB ports all built in.) IPS is best for photography, as the clarity and luminance does NOT chnge much at various angles. (My Samsung 226BW has to be watched dead on. At any other angle it distorts the image luminance. It is the low end TN-style monitor, but GREAT for gamers. Wrong for me.)

Education: I spent a day-long seminar learning Photoshop CS3 from reknowed industry expert Scott Kelby. There were 1300 participants in the auditorium with (4) large screens. He went over a variety of methods and techniques that the top pros use to make images sizzle and workflow move quickly. It was the best $100 I have spent. I came back with his prepared workbook and it negated the need to take notes. Incredible delivery by the sharp-witted Kelby, who was just as willing to make fun of the obscure Adobe menus and naming of adjustments--as we all rolled our eyes in laughter and agreement.

Editing: Photoshop CS3 trial is now on my PC computer for the next 30 days....

Computer: In August I bought a Mac Tower Pro and the final CS3 upgrade will reside on this, as soon as I take the time to convert. It is not quite as easy as they want to make you believe (after all, Windows XP is easy if it doesn't crash. Don't get me going.... ;)) I have many macro automations which would all need re-recording, so it's not as easy as just switching over.

My Canon EOS-5D camera has remained as good as I need. No upgrade there, till I go to a medium format someday.

And so, I have been managing my technology very closely. Now remains the most important aspect which is to keep my 'artistic' skill level abreast. That doesn't need any of the tools above and defines all of our work.

Any questions? I learned a lot!

Coop

The 5D is starting to be available at amazing prices. Lots of rumors of an updated version to come out "soon".

Terrific post, Coop. I appreciate your willingness to share what works for you. The results speak for themselves.

Funny, I do all my outdoor shooting with a 5D and L glass, yet find I find it difficult to shoot knives with it. I've been using an Olympus C5050 with OK , amateur results, for knife photos.

You're definitely my hero.

Win

Thanks for sharing the info above, Coop. I'm about to pull the trigger on some new gear and my own research suggests you have made excellent choices all around.

Re monitors: I assume you got the appropriate video card in your Mac Pro tower for the big Dell monitor.

The "exhaustive thread" you referenced had a lot of great information though I was dismayed to read this - Several manufacturers, including Dell and Samsung, have played the panel "bait and switch" game thinking no one would notice. A controversial practice called a "panel lottery" by others, they will originally release a good panel (for reviewers) and switch to an inferior one later on. Dell first put an S-IPS in their 2007WFP and later switched to an S-PVA, whose performance was deemed very low compared to the S-IPS. Samsung originally was making "S" (Samsung) TN panels for their 226BW, until they outsourced their production to AU Optronics ("A"), CMO ("C"), and CPT ("P"). The A, C, and P panels performed poorly at the default color settings. All of their colors were equal after calibration, although the C panel had more issues with response time. Since many folks don't own a colorimeter, they will end up with a panel that can't display colors with the same fidelity as the original "S" panel. Later, both Dell and Samsung began hiding the panel information from the service menu and the back panel.

I found no mention of Eizo or LaCie monitors - understandable as they are both so high end and so expensive (however they are generally thought of as 'the best').

The Sigma lens sounds great, and a great value as well. Your statement that its "sharpness equals any lens on the market" sounds a bit enthusiastic. (I don't doubt it's a great lens though.)

Re printers: Undoubtedly the Epson is a great printer but at 43 lbs methinks it wants to stay put in your studio. If you're planning to transport the big Dell monitor and the Epson 3800 to and from shows, along with all your other gear, you're gonna need some roadies! (not in your attractive wife's job description, I bet)

Everything I've read suggests Photoshop CS3 is THE way to go. I'll also upgrade when computer decisions are finalized. And Scott Kelby is numero uno in the PS workshop world. I value his magazine, Photoshop User, and a couple of his books as well.

Re computer: I'm tempted to go with the Mac Pro quad core 3.0 with 8 gigs of RAM but strong rumors persist that the Mac Pro will be significantly re-designed and upgraded, announcement of which may come as early as January, following on the heels of the Leopard operating system just released.

The rapid advancement of digital technology can be very confusing as it relates to each critical piece of gear in photographic workflow chain. Locating reliable information, though easier than it's ever been, is still quite a time-consuming project. And, I've found that integrating all the equipment is a challenge, most especially in the realm of color management. None the less, it's wonderful to have so many great choices these days!

Thanks again for sharing your choices and the sound thinking behind them. Much appreciated!

Hi Buddy, thanks for reading in-depth. I know you understand all of what I have learned.

My Mac has the proper video card, my PC, no. It just came today. No time to fuss with this just yet. Soon.

BTW, I was going to go with a dual monitor setup, but, Jeez, who needs two monitors with 30" of screen area...?? :D

Yup, I got the Samsung 226BW and the serial # refers to it as the 'C' version. When I bought it a year and a half ago, I knew nothing about the distinctions of the panel types or my version. It's a fine screen, but only dead on.

Eizo and LaCie have to watch their backs. Yes, they set the early standard for LCD's, but now other mfg's are producing equal quality at far less exclusive pricing.

If you can tell me of ANY lens sharper than my 50 or 100mm Canon EF models at the upper f-stop range I use, I will explore them. I do not need fast glass, as none of my range is below f14. I would have bought the Canon 50mm 'L' lens, but it is simply not as crisp at f-16. My own testing of the Sigma confirmed it is equal to both of my others. The TS series also did not compare as well. This site YOU pointed me towards gave me this info.

This printer is staying put. For that matter, so is the monitor and my Mac. I have determined, for me, that I will not attempt to do any editing and prints at a show. I want and need to spend quality time on the adjustments, and I would severely compromise my workflow to bang out a photo on a show site. Probably because I am my own best photographer and editor. I have not trained an assistant to do this.

Being honest and upfront about this delay, yet delivering quickly and as-promised have been worthwhile.

I wish to spend time on the Mac, but it won't happen in the next week or so. Once again, I have a show upcoming and I can't be learning anything new while producing. BTW, I only ordered 4 gigs of RAM. ;)

Coop

Coop/Buddy .....

Now:
D70
6 yr old eMac, elements 3
Work lights

..... on order:

D300
IMac (4G), BookPro, CS3
3x400W heads with 120,90,60 Diffuser heads!

...... I'll get ya , you buggers!

Stephen - That's great news. Now you will have up-to-date gear to go with your good eye and taste for quality! Your "I'll get ya" attitude is both healthy and welcome.

I hope you will post lots of blade images for sharing and discussion. High quality photographs do so much to educate and stimulate interest in custom knives. (There is no better proof of that than this wonderful thread of Coop's.)

I have recently completed these works from the makers or dealers.

Keith Ouye: I am always impressed with the quality and sturdiness of his work. Very recognizable as well. His work lends itself to finer engravers:
orig.jpg

Ken Onion's reknown is legendary. Soon to be, is C.J. Cai, whose work adorns Ken's piece:
orig.jpg

Knife courtesy of Hoffman Knives.com

C.J. Cai decided he would also become a knifemaker. He pulled out ALL the stops on this delightful tanto:
orig.jpg

(I returned to a photo style I pioneered early in my career, which is the 'collage' view (distinct insets). All my multiple insets are considered a 'montage' view (blended insets), although the Cai photo is both. :))

Hope you enjoy. It's been a while since I filled in the gaps....

Coop

Coop if you ever feel the need to have a holiday in Perth I will put you up for a few weeks in exchange for a few photoshop lessons.
Richard

GREAT news for me, and twelve of my clients! I got a note from one of my clients (Simon Lytton) who was submitting my photo to a VERY popular magazine in Japan, called 'Knife' magazine.

He gave my name to the editor (Natsuo Hattori) and I gave him a link to my online library with a large sampling of shots to look over. He chose twelve images of mine, and wishes to do an EIGHT-PAGE spread in the March issue. Wow! :thumbup:

The printing and photography is like a coffee-table book. Incredibly well-done. The Japanese photographers work is masterful, and their lighting is completely different from mine. I am always in awe when I catch a copy.

Natsuo asked if I would take a portrait shot for inclusion. And so I did a layout of my indoor studio. Yes, it's a bit staged, but this is all the ingredients I use daily. Shot with my pocket digicam also triggering a strobe on the left.

orig.jpg

I never sit down, but I needed to be in the shot without crouching down, so I sat. I had just enlarged my light tent to 36"x40" and this is the latest, along with the strobes I purchased last sept.

Lastly, I have a huge selection of backgrounds to choose from. How to I manage all of them? I acquired a large architectural cabinet for blueprints. Check THIS out!

orig.jpg

So, this answers a question that was never asked.... :p

Looking forward to the copies of the magazine when it comes out. I get ten copies!

Coop

I don't think this one has been seen. Look carefully at Johnny's damascus blade, and the clever matching engraving on the bolsters. Outstanding work!

orig.jpg

Busy knife = simple background. :D

Coop

Congratulations on the Japanese exposure. Bet its an honor. What percentage of those backgrounds would you say comes to a show?

Thanks guys!

Jon: Probably 75%. I carry more than I need, but it takes too long to pick faves, so I pack 'em all, and spread 'em all out. All the portfolio bag has to do is weigh in less than 50lbs.... :eek:

Coop

Back