Sharpening Delta 3v

I skinned out a badger for my nephew over the weekend with my EDC. The knife worked great and I couldn't be happier. The edge is still in good shape but it could use some help getting back to it's peak. Any suggestions on bringing an edge back?

For touch ups do you use a strop, ceramic hone, or something else?

I looked at the original specs and the post said it was sharpened at 18 degrees per side. How are you guys able to sharpen at this angle?

I must admit I hesitated when my nephew came into the cabin and asked if I had a sharp knife. My first thought was how nice the knife was and how it should stay that way. I turned to see the excitement on my 13 year old nephews face having just killed a badger and I couldn't say no. I want to create memories using this knife not just store it in my safe. So the plan is for this thing to be a user which means I need to learn to maintain the edge.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Just a badger? You might not need to do a touch up. But, if you want shaving-sharp back... You MIGHT be able to get away with only a stropping. If not, a minimal amount of passes on a high grit stone. How do you keep a consistent angle? Dozens of hours of practice. There is no gimmick, just practice and adaptation. Visit the "Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment" sub-forum. That's where you'll receive specific advice on sharpening techniques.

Just a badger? You might not need to do a touch up. But, if you want shaving-sharp back... You MIGHT be able to get away with only a stropping. If not, a minimal amount of passes on a high grit stone. How do you keep a consistent angle? Dozens of hours of practice. There is no gimmick, just practice and adaptation. Visit the "Maintenance, Tinkering & Embellishment" sub-forum. That's where you'll receive specific advice on sharpening techniques.

Yep, just a badger. The edge is still in great shape as you would assume. I just want to get it back to that shave sharp level. Thanks for your input.

Wicked Edge. They have a model suitable for your cabin and you can easily take it to a level of sharpness beyond what it came as.

For touch up I use either a strop with BRKT white compound or a spyderco sharpmaker with ultrafine rods.

For reprofiling the edge, Justin's suggestion of a wicked edge or edge pro apex system can produce a precise, mirrored edge without years of experience needed.

I use ceramics....Spyderco or even the polished top of an automobile side window. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was going to suggest the bottom of a coffee mug, but the frosted top of a glass window works too. 👍

Thanks to all of you for the ideas. I have a spyderco sharp marker. I am going to give that a try until I decided on the apex pro or a wicked edge

Use a leather strop and compound to hone (straighten and even out) an edge only sharpen (remove material) when the edge is seriously dull, has a chip or you want to reprofile. 99.9% of the time i just use a leather strop.

A strop with BRKT compound will work wonders. Start with black and finish with green for an edge that will shave and do plenty of work. The white is too fine and the edge will not last at that level of polish.

I want to add that one of my most useful tools for keeping a razor edge is a German-made F. Dick polished butchers steel....burnishes and aligns the edge between sharpening on my ceramics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use strop with black and green compound for maintenance and Sharpmaker rods for touch ups. You'll find this Delta 3V sharpens up very nicely and easy at least in my experiences.

I want to add that one of my most useful tools for keeping a razor edge is a German-made F. Dick polished butchers steel....burnishes and aligns the edge between sharpening on my ceramics.

Oh... my... god... the handle inscription on those things can't be for real...?!

D7_5503_30.jpg

I use a Messermeister Ceramic hone on high end steels (3V, 4V, 20CV, ELMAX, M390). It works great bringing the edge back to scary sharp.

No point in making a new thread regarding sharpening / sharpeners, so I searched the subforum and voila, there's this one just about from back when this sub came into existence! Here are some of my findings vis a vis the Wicked Edge Systems:

To be very honest, I don't dare yet using my freehand "skills" on my CPKs although I own a plethora of diamond and ceramic stones in various sizes. Nathan has also cautioned us quite a few times about NOT getting the temperatures too high on the D3V heat treat, by using sanding belts and sanding machines. So with my own CPK posse increasing in both volume and value, I finally decided to drop some extra coin on a Wicked Edge (went with the Field Pro package for my own reasons) because there is no friggin way that I would be willing to freehand an LC, my satin FK, my Shiv or the UF (blasphemy!).

So here is the catch: the existing Shiv and the upcoming NASK (or as I grudgingly call it the HDFK :p) will not fit inside the 3/16" vice that come with the W.E variants which use that Gen 3 self leveling vice. So to all you W.E'ers, you will need to go ahead and order that 1/4" adapter specially if you are aspiring to land a BC during it's lottery sweepstakes and then the MC which IIRC according to Nathan is going to be like that prototype HC (0.220"?) with some production level tweaks and CQI.

Try using MinoSharp and/or Montblanc Super Togeru guide rails with an angle cube to dial in the distance you keep from the guide to the stone. Should get you 15 dps on up with excellent precision and very good accuracy. My WE was gifted away last month (to a deploying family member) as I rarely used it due to concerns over the creation and inhalation of diamond dust.

Back