Sharpening methods?

Hey guys, just yesterday I picked up a coarse DMT folding diamond stone (Diafold), and frankly I am impressed by how easily I could get almost all of my knives (The exception was a glock 78 (IE the crowbar with an edge, nuff said)) about to the point of hair shaving sharp in just a few minutes. I've been looking for an all around method/tool combination for the regular maintenance of my blades that

A. Minimizes work.
B. Doesn't remove too much steel (I have this vision of some of my more expensive knives being reduced to toothpicks after a few years, though of course that would be ludicrous) when used (on average) lightly enough to maintain a workable edge.
C. Can easily be carried. I hike a LOT, and spend huge amounts of time in situations where the best bet is to have a small sharpening utility (Like the DMT sharpener).

I understand that different utilities have different uses, but from just what little experience I have with this diamond sharpener, would any of you agree that this can be considered an all around method for ordinary edge maintenance? I of course don't mean having to completely refurbish an edge or essential start from scratch, but just for a quick few swipes after a few sessions of use.

Thanks!

Agreed that a single, coarse DMT can serve as a all-around field sharpener. Moreso that you are satisfied with the results. If you like it, keep it going. Though I would water the stone to keep diamond dust at bay (potential minimization of its health risks are important to me, may not be to you).

adamlau, I'll take that advice for sure actually, I appreciate it! Ratman, they do sell that locally where I live, I'll be sure to try it out when my budget i more fitting ;)... The sharpener I got was on sale for 17 bucks, not bad for something that seems to be of such good quality!

If I can have only one sharpener, it would be my coarse (250 grit) eze-lap credit card/wallet size.

If you are good at free-hand sharpening (which it sounds like you are) and understand burr formation and removal, a decent medium-coarse stone is all you need. I consider the 325 to be in the medium-coarse category.

I've used one for years. Wipe it down with BreakFree CLP occasionally to lift off the swarf when it gets loaded up.

If you like the coarse 325 diafold, try a double sided coarse 325/fine 600 diasharp stone
^this. I just use the coarse side and occasionally the fine side if using it on a folder or a stainless utility blade (like my Ritter MK3 or my stainless Mora) that are more for light duty, slicing, and food prep.

A coarse DMT, followed by diamond paste on a balsa wood strop will work wonders on most any steel.

coarse folding dmt works well and gives super aggressive toothy edge ,just with light strokes.excellent meat cutting edge.

Back