How To Sharpening the sirupati..

Now yes most of you are already probably thinking..why would I be asking this..there is already many answers...but have done most of the kurkri sharpening techniques and I have made no progress..I need your guy's help please..also I am considering taking it to a knife sharpening service..which isn't a bad idea..my sirupati came very dull interesting enough...but please once again any pointers?

I've had a lot of luck honing them with the little flat knife thingy that comes with them. I just run the thingy along the blade at the proper angle with a little pressure, do it on both sides, then less and less pressure and it becomes ridiculously sharp like that.

I don't know what you've done to try to sharpen the blade, but the methods provided to you in the earlier thread and in many past postings in this forum really do work. The edge is probably well-hardened, so it might take some time and elbow grease to get it sharp.

If you do take it to a knife sharpening service, make sure to emphasize with them that you want the convex edge geometry preserved. Ask them if they can do that. This is not a kitchen knife, a pair of scissors or a western type blade. If they sharpen your sirupati with one of their standard sharpening devices, most likely they will give it a secondary bevel, which will ruin the edge for chopping, or at least make it worse than it should be.

Like David said, keep the full convex edge! Do not let them talk you into anything else. Did you try the mousepad method, and use a sharpie marker as a guide? Ndoghouse should be along shortly to explain, or Mr. Tall can find it for you with his super searching skills.

Guess I dont miss much eh cul?

First thing im going to tell ya is what you shouldnt do:
The number one thing (next to taking it to a grinder)NOT to do is apply too much pressure with the sandpaper mouse pad or any other method for that matter but especially with something soft underneath the abrasive. What happens typically is one gets frustrated because it just aint gettin sharp so they apply more pressure and what happens is the paper rolls around the edge actually rounding off the edge dulling it more than it already was. Then you really have to work hard to get it back to dull where you started from then start over.
DO NOT APPLY MORE PRESSURE IN ATTEMPT TO CUT FASTER!!! Let the abrasive work like it is designed too. If it aint getting sharp then go to a coarser paper and by all means use abrasives like they are free. If your one of those thrifty kind of guys you better be a professional and already know what you are doing. It dont take more than the weight of the khuk itself and a bit of patience. Sharpen off the edge and start at the tip because its softer there then work down toward the cho. Once you found the angle using the sharpie then stick with it. What you want to do is feel the opposite edge your sharpening with your fingernail or finger tip and when you feel a "wire" (micro-rough overhang) or a bit of bent back metal then you can stop sharpening there and move up the blade. You will be able to detect the hard and soft spots of the blade at this time. Feel both sides of the edge so you will have a reference of what im talking about. Keep sharpening the entire blade length until you feel the wire across the entire blade. Then you can start on the opposite edge. Feel again with your fingernail after swapping sides and when you got a wire all the way across the second side then you can switch to a finer paper or abrasive and repeat the whole process. The finer the abrasive the harder it is to feel the wire but you will be surprised how well human fingers can detect this. I can feel better than 2000 grit no problem. dont use anything softer than a thin mouse pad because you will have a very hard time getting it right. I would recommend using a magazine or even phone book if they aint totally extinct nowadays but that will help prevent rolling the paper around the edge dulling it.
One note to the new Khukri buyer: I believe the Kamis do a final polish or buff after the final sharpening of these khuks which gives the edge a micro polish or "apparent dull" and to the new owner it can feel like its actually very dull. I have taken 800 to even 1000 grit or higher and run the blade literally one or two light swipes across on each side and results were hair popping. Most of the time thats all my new khuks get. Rarely do I have to sharpen before a year or so. Kamis are different but they are all good so your mileage may vary.
If you dont understand the "wire" thing then dont even try to sharpen your favorite knife till you do. Try a junk kitchen knife first. Ill walk you through it or whatever it takes but do it right first or it will take a lot of work just to get it back like it was when you you got it.

Guess I dont miss much eh cul?

First thing im going to tell ya is what you shouldnt do:
The number one thing (next to taking it to a grinder)NOT to do is apply too much pressure with the sandpaper mouse pad or any other method for that matter but especially with something soft underneath the abrasive. What happens typically is one gets frustrated because it just aint gettin sharp so they apply more pressure and what happens is the paper rolls around the edge actually rounding off the edge dulling it more than it already was. Then you really have to work hard to get it back to dull where you started from then start over.
DO NOT APPLY MORE PRESSURE IN ATTEMPT TO CUT FASTER!!! Let the abrasive work like it is designed too. If it aint getting sharp then go to a coarser paper and by all means use abrasives like they are free. If your one of those thrifty kind of guys you better be a professional and already know what you are doing. It dont take more than the weight of the khuk itself and a bit of patience. Sharpen off the edge and start at the tip because its softer there then work down toward the cho. Once you found the angle using the sharpie then stick with it. What you want to do is feel the opposite edge your sharpening with your fingernail or finger tip and when you feel a "wire" (micro-rough overhang) or a bit of bent back metal then you can stop sharpening there and move up the blade. You will be able to detect the hard and soft spots of the blade at this time. Feel both sides of the edge so you will have a reference of what im talking about. Keep sharpening the entire blade length until you feel the wire across the entire blade. Then you can start on the opposite edge. Feel again with your fingernail after swapping sides and when you got a wire all the way across the second side then you can switch to a finer paper or abrasive and repeat the whole process. The finer the abrasive the harder it is to feel the wire but you will be surprised how well human fingers can detect this. I can feel better than 2000 grit no problem. dont use anything softer than a thin mouse pad because you will have a very hard time getting it right. I would recommend using a magazine or even phone book if they aint totally extinct nowadays but that will help prevent rolling the paper around the edge dulling it.
One note to the new Khukri buyer: I believe the Kamis do a final polish or buff after the final sharpening of these khuks which gives the edge a micro polish or "apparent dull" and to the new owner it can feel like its actually very dull. I have taken 800 to even 1000 grit or higher and run the blade literally one or two light swipes across on each side and results were hair popping. Most of the time thats all my new khuks get. Rarely do I have to sharpen before a year or so. Kamis are different but they are all good so your mileage may vary.
If you dont understand the "wire" thing then dont even try to sharpen your favorite knife till you do. Try a junk kitchen knife first. Ill walk you through it or whatever it takes but do it right first or it will take a lot of work just to get it back like it was when you you got it.
Well I used 500 grit sandpaper, I tried using the chamak thinking that might work...the blade wasn't too dull...i wanted it to be sharp enough to cut paper and hair I guess...but anyway if maybe you can send me a link to a video of using sandpaper...to sharpen a kurkri/sirupate that would help a lot...other than that even using a kitchen knife sharpener to work wasn't working...so yeah..maybe I should try using higher grit

If the knife "wasn't too dull" you should try chopping wood before attempting to change the edge. Take a look at the edges on some axes or hatchets at a hardware store. The edge might or might not be very sharp, but the shape of the edge profile is designed for cutting wood. It is nothing like the kind of edge that a "kitchen knife sharpener" will put on a blade.

This image shows three different kinds of edge profiles:

blade edge profiles.jpg
Your khukuri is much thicker than a kitchen knife, and has a convex edge as shown on the right. If you try to use a kitchen knife sharpener -- intended for a much thinner blade -- the khukuri edge might not even fit all the way into the sharpening slot. That's the best case. If it does fit, you'll probably get a secondary bevel similar to the edge in the middle image. Notice that it is less pointy than the full convex edge on the right. No matter how sharp it is on the very tip, the overall effect is a more blunt edge.

The idea of making a khukuri edge "razor sharp," is akin to those fantasy knives that look wicked but are not practical. Many of them have hollow ground, razor sharp edges that would not stand up to chopping wood even for an hour. If you want to cut hair, buy a razor. If you want to cut paper, buy a pair of scissors. Again: chop some wood and then see if anything needs to be done to the edge.

If the knife "wasn't too dull" you should try chopping wood before attempting to change the edge. Take a look at the edges on some axes or hatchets at a hardware store. The edge might or might not be very sharp, but the shape of the edge profile is designed for cutting wood. It is nothing like the kind of edge that a "kitchen knife sharpener" will put on a blade.

This image shows three different kinds of edge profiles:

View attachment 740826
Your khukuri is much thicker than a kitchen knife, and has a convex edge as shown on the right. If you try to use a kitchen knife sharpener -- intended for a much thinner blade -- the khukuri edge might not even fit all the way into the sharpening slot. That's the best case. If it does fit, you'll probably get a secondary bevel similar to the edge in the middle image. Notice that it is less pointy than the full convex edge on the right. No matter how sharp it is on the very tip, the overall effect is a more blunt edge.

The idea of making a khukuri edge "razor sharp," is akin to those fantasy knives that look wicked but are not practical. Many of them have hollow ground, razor sharp edges that would not stand up to chopping wood even for an hour. If you want to cut hair, buy a razor. If you want to cut paper, buy a pair of scissors. Again: chop some wood and then see if anything needs to be done to the edge.
I see your point but I insist that I want my kurkri to be sharp...slicing is something I would want to do...especially if an animal...much bigger than me came across my path..but I did what you said tested the chopping it did very well...but it still has a dull edge..the end of the blade is very sharp but the belly of the kukri is what I really want to be sharp...that part is very essential for both chopping and slicing...

I see your point but I insist that I want my kurkri to be sharp...slicing is something I would want to do...especially if an animal...much bigger than me came across my path..but I did what you said tested the chopping it did very well...but it still has a dull edge..the end of the blade is very sharp but the belly of the kukri is what I really want to be sharp...that part is very essential for both chopping and slicing...

I understand your wish, and maybe the belly of your khukuri is too dull. I can't tell. I will note that lots of forumites have reported slicing vegetables and meat for the table with their khukuris, and I doubt that they were razor sharp or hair-shaving sharp. I have kitchen knives that can do that kind of slicing but are perfectly save to handle without cutting myself.

As for meeting a large animal in the woods, I'm not sure if you're referring to the need for self-defense, or the need to butcher the animal to collect the meat. In either case, here is a relevant story from the HI archives:

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/assets/images/Animals.htm

Bear

The incident took place in the Solu District of Nepal, about 30 miles SW of Mt. Everest, on the farm of a neighbor of my father-in-laws'.

The farmer went out to tend to his corn patch in the morning. He arrived to find a Himalayan black bear having his breakfast in the corn patch. The bear did not take kindly to having his breakfast interrupted and charged the farmer.

The farmer had only his khukuri, made by Solu knife maker, Kancha Kami, to defend himself against the attack. He knew that he could not outrun the bear so his only choice was to hold his ground. When the bear came to within striking distance the farmer struck the bear in the head with a single blow from his khukuri. The bear fell dead right at the farmers' feet.

Since there are no supermarkets or refrigeration in this part of the world the farmer took advantage of the situation and butchered the bear on the spot. He then sent his several children to the homes of his neighbors with 30 or 40 pounds of fresh bear meat each. The neighbors, all curious as to the gift of bear meat, asked how the bear had been killed. The children related the story which became famous throughout the district.

From that day forward the farmer got a new nickname, "Bhalu," which means bear in Nepali.

BILL MARTINO 1/2/99

I understand your wish, and maybe the belly of your khukuri is too dull. I can't tell. I will note that lots of forumites have reported slicing vegetables and meat for the table with their khukuris, and I doubt that they were razor sharp or hair-shaving sharp. I have kitchen knives that can do that kind of slicing but are perfectly save to handle without cutting myself.

As for meeting a large animal in the woods, I'm not sure if you're referring to the need for self-defense, or the need to butcher the animal to collect the meat. In either case, here is a relevant story from the HI archives:

http://www.himalayan-imports.com/assets/images/Animals.htm

Bear

The incident took place in the Solu District of Nepal, about 30 miles SW of Mt. Everest, on the farm of a neighbor of my father-in-laws'.

The farmer went out to tend to his corn patch in the morning. He arrived to find a Himalayan black bear having his breakfast in the corn patch. The bear did not take kindly to having his breakfast interrupted and charged the farmer.

The farmer had only his khukuri, made by Solu knife maker, Kancha Kami, to defend himself against the attack. He knew that he could not outrun the bear so his only choice was to hold his ground. When the bear came to within striking distance the farmer struck the bear in the head with a single blow from his khukuri. The bear fell dead right at the farmers' feet.

Since there are no supermarkets or refrigeration in this part of the world the farmer took advantage of the situation and butchered the bear on the spot. He then sent his several children to the homes of his neighbors with 30 or 40 pounds of fresh bear meat each. The neighbors, all curious as to the gift of bear meat, asked how the bear had been killed. The children related the story which became famous throughout the district.

From that day forward the farmer got a new nickname, "Bhalu," which means bear in Nepali.

BILL MARTINO 1/2/99
Well...that was a pretty freaking awesome story if I don't say so myself...but all I want man is my blade to be sharp..and if that means taking it to a sharpening service well so be it...

The sandpaper-mousepad thing really does work Isaiah, I had to learn how to do convex sharpening when I got mine.....but yeah, totally worth it.

If you wanted to I bet Josh at razor's edge knives could make a khuk so sharp it would cut a fly from across the room :D

The sandpaper-mousepad thing really does work Isaiah, I had to learn how to do convex sharpening when I got mine.....but yeah, totally worth it.

If you wanted to I bet Josh at razor's edge knives could make a khuk so sharp it would cut a fly from across the room :D
I got it sharpened already, it's very sharp but not crazy sharp where it's going to cut my hair off my arm, the guy told me it's more of axe type of blade, so it doesn't have to be crazy sharp, even if I am using it to chop someone up lol it won't take much efffort...but how would I tell if the convex edge is fine? Or not ruined?

I got it sharpened already, it's very sharp but not crazy sharp where it's going to cut my hair off my arm, the guy told me it's more of axe type of blade, so it doesn't have to be crazy sharp, even if I am using it to chop someone up lol it won't take much efffort...but how would I tell if the convex edge is fine? Or not ruined?
Find someon... something to chop!
Should throw chips without binding up.
Run chakmak or steel along edge, then try slicing some meat,
even convex edge on thick blade slices amazingly well!
though sometimes cuts better on draw and with slight sideways angle to blade

sounds like the guy who did the work knew his edges! I bet it cuts very well.

Back