Shave of the day?

Sounds like a wonderful shave. Sometimes I wish I could get away with a two pass (WTG/ATG) shave, but any time I have tried it, it didn't work for me. How would you describe you beard type? Mine is fairly thick, and wiry tough, then throw in sensitive skin on top of that I have to go with a very light touch and lots of reduction to get a good smooth shave. Right now my normal shave is a 4 pass with a New Improved and a IP Red.

Today's Shave

Merkur 39C
Valobra Mentolado
Semogue 620
Insense AS
Insense EDT

DSC02654.jpg

So, tried the 7O'Clock platinum today. Pretty decent shave this time. A few scattered weepers, but all in all, a smooth shave. I've decided to interrupt my testing with a Bic blade, just to get back to a baseline feel. I'm wondering if my technique is getting sloppy. Either way, the first two blades of the test were a write off, even if I was not shaving as well as I should, they were well below my current standard.

How would you describe you beard type? .

Well, I wouldn't say it is thick but is wirey and tough to cut. Skin is on the sensitive side complete with rosecea that will flare up with certain products. So I have to experiement with what works and what doesn't.

Biggest thing I face is a little redness on the folicles on my neck. Today's shave for example:

1965 Gillette Slim, mint, on 7
Fresh Feather
Shave Secret
Palmolive Lemon
Lemon Thayer's
VDH boar brush
Pinaud VI bay rum

The bay rum, I suspect, causes a bit of redness but it is ever so slight. Seems menthol AS helps on that. Anyway, it's not bad and I enjoy a bay rum from time to time.

Can't decide if I like my Fatboys or my Slims better. Love the weight of the FB but the Slims seem to be more agile.

Just ordered 100 more Feathers. Gonna be my blade, I guess. They seem to whack those tough hairs down with ease with very little pulling.

Ok, so did one shave with the bic, and then one with the black 7o'clock. It seems like I've been getting spoiled by my Bic blades. The gillette was definitely sharper, but it also had a greater tendency to hang up, I think it is due to the flexibility of the blade, and I'm trying to come up with an objective test. I had a pretty decent second shave with the gillette, mostly due to more careful technique. once I've gone through the other blades, I'll do a side by side test with a feather, to see how they compare, but since I use feathers so rarely, I doubt I'll be replacing them, even if cost became a consideration. At the end of my shave I was just left with a few sharp feeling hairs, mostly along the corner of my jaw. I very rarely get a true full BBS shave as the added passes leave more irritation than is worth while. not a big worry for me though.

I've been so happy with the Futur + Astra combo set at # 4 I wonder when, if ever, I'll get to trying these other blades :D

or razors for that matter! think I'm close to a dozen now, all Gillette's + the original Vision.

ps. got some Skin Bracer original green and just love it. completely replaced my razo rock stick routine, way less irritation.

take care guys and have a blessed day!

Progress with Astra blade, AOS pre-shave oil followed by unscented shaving cream followed by Aubrey Witch hazel lotion. Three passes followed by touchup is the rule around here.

Got 2 days home then I fly back out for a month to assist. Happy but sad same time. Anyways, left the Futur there since returning so giving an Aristocrat a try! Loaded with same Astra blade been using. Is this thing working? Feels like it's not but it is and barely any audible like with the Futur. Try not to add pressure but did and even got very tiny cut :p Very weird. I also was using Jack Black clear shave oil/liquid/cream "stuff" so I could watch what's going on or not. Took many many strokes and buffing to get to what the Merkur gets but no irritation whatsoever.

My Mom collected a bunch of miniature fragrance bottles so now I have a keepsake to put with Dad's Gillette - Narciso Rodriguez for Him. Smells great, very "latin" and "macho", which is a lousy description on the intarwebs but you got to smell it for yourself. Found all kinds of his stuff online and if you sign up they email you discount coupons right away so that was cool.

Take care and may God Bless you all!

Gave the persona reds a try the other night. Pretty solidly average. nothing special, not bad. Very Meh.
In other news, got a new job, its casual, and a small commute, but its in the right industry, and seems like a good crew. first job is tonight.

I did it, performed my first straight razor shave. One saying goes you find out who you really are when you lose your parents and now is my time. Plus after watching numerous videos, notably Oskar's in which is he totally calm yet extremely focused, I was ready. Stropped my new Dovo Pisces Astrale listening to the blade edge gliding over the leather with almost an echo, prepared the Proraso green and went about it cautiously and at times with two hands trying to find the right support, angles and strokes. Calm, cool, with purpose. One small weeper on the sideburn area from a skin bump? I shaved my whole face one pass, tried ATG sideburns only, then switched to the Futur with Merkur blade still on setting 4 to finish up. I like the Astra blade better but will give it more time.

And so, it has begun. Thank you Mom for everything, including introducing me to Narciso Rodriguez shave products for Men. Rest in Peace.

Attachments

• Dovo-Astrale.jpg
    Dovo-Astrale.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 12
Today was the most terrible, horrible, no good, very bad shave. I was rushed for time, so I rushed in th shower and skipped making my lunch to give myself the proper time for a shave. Two days growth, had a slight bit of irritation on my neck line last shave, but I have hair that swirls there and is difficult to get. It was healed by now.

Classic text book prep, lather and hot towel over it for 2 minutes, wipe and relather.

RazoRock classic cream
Gillette slim on #3
One shave old Astra SP
First pass was easy goin, that classic prep makes short work of my tough beard. Wipe and wet face thoroughly with hot water, relather. Second pass is XTG, starting at my sideburn. No problem, then I get to my jaw line and holy hell, it feel like I have nails for stubble and wet tissue for skin! Immediately it turns red and irritated, I check the razor, then I check the blade, I check my technique, nothing seems out of the ordinary. I went to the other side and tried that, same thing! Crap, so I just say screw it and finish off with another WTG pass and call it acceptable for now.

I am beginning to not like these astras in my slims, they are nice in my British super Speed, but just aren't going to cut it for me in the slims. I'm completely out of feathers which seem to be a steady performer for me, and I need to order more, but I have 19 packs of astras left! I guess next shave will be with a new to me Z3 Super Adjustable long handle Black Beauty I just repaired. It wouldn't even open when I got it! Then hopefully I can have my first straight razor shave on Wednesday, since I have it and the next day off.

I desperately need a new brush and some feather blades, maybe its time to check out TGN and make my own brush for a fraction of the cost of a new one. Then finish another straight razor I have on the bench, and a scratch build Kamisori, then learn to shave with it.

-Xander

William's shaving soap applied with old Everready boar brush, shaved off with Gem Micromatic with a Gem Stainless blade. Boiling water in a mug used to make lather (hot lather on the face) and to dip razor in prior to each shaving pass.

Glad to report that the shave following the terrble one I posted was absolutely delightful! I went bck to my usual C.O. Bigelow and a Super Adjustable on 3 with a fresh astra and got BBS on 95% of my face even the day after an irritating shave. I'm not entirely sure of the culprit because I changed a few variables in my routine when I got the bad shave, but maybe I'll give the astras another shot in the slim with my usual gear. It just seemed to bad to try that combo again. I did a three pass shave with a little buffing and only two passes over the worst irritation and never had a problem more than what was there previously. 1.5 solid days of acceptable skin, not warranting a shave.

Gotta use my travel kit now, so hopfully it will still be just as nice!

-Xander

Still learning the straight razor strokes and cannot for the life of me get the WTG sideburn pass as my hand blocks my vision either side no matter how I try to tilt my head. So doing only ATG / XTG / ATG. Did initial sideburn pass completely dry to hear and feel it all and saw even dry skin flakes on the edge - whoa. Mustache pass ok but still daunting as well. Lathered up and did the one pass + DE finish. Lots of irritation, to be expected with all this experimentation I guess. Oh yeah, dumped the Merkur blades and back to the Astras which I totally like better and have dialed down in the Futur.

Can't get the OSMA puck to lather decently in a bowl or on the face too. Sticking with the creams from here on out!

update: Completed first all straight razor shave today! Been stropping the Dovo on the Flexx both sides, then the full on barber strop for 30 strokes before + after. Added 2 drops of tea tree essential oil to the T&H sandalwood cream. Strokes improving much now, sideburn and moustache areas still a work in progress but no cuts or nicks. Am certain a shorter blade will help but will continue using just this one for now. Just feels like I'm wielding a samurai sword around my face :p Saw a video of guys using a Chinese cleaver to shave with - insane. Have a "professionally honed" Boker waiting in the wings! :)

Last edited:
Xander Razor!.jpg

Just received this beautiful razor from fast14riot / Xander of the forum! a nice note and extras included too, thank you very much :) so with all the patience of a 10 year old on Christmas morning I ran, carefully, back upstairs to give it a whirl err, scythe errr, shave. First impression: WTH! I mean WTH!!!

This *is* the smoothest straight I've used yet. All those fancy ones, pro honed, etc. etc. W. In. The. H! shave the other sideburn - omg smooth and all the audible is there too. under the nose carefully, moustachio, chin. I am freaking out.

THANK YOU XANDER.

Gillette Fatboy (1959), Astra SP blades, Thater 49125/0 (Plexi Zero), Jabonman Ylang Ylang-Patchouli-Orange soap (from Spain), and Nivea For Men Post Shave Balm (for sensitive skin). It was all that. . . .AND a bag of chips. :D

View attachment 298018

Just received this beautiful razor from fast14riot / Xander of the forum! a nice note and extras included too, thank you very much :) so with all the patience of a 10 year old on Christmas morning I ran, carefully, back upstairs to give it a whirl err, scythe errr, shave. First impression: WTH! I mean WTH!!!

This *is* the smoothest straight I've used yet. All those fancy ones, pro honed, etc. etc. W. In. The. H! shave the other sideburn - omg smooth and all the audible is there too. under the nose carefully, moustachio, chin. I am freaking out.

THANK YOU XANDER.

You are very welcome! I'm stoked that you like it! That edge was done on sanding films up to 12K then to leather and newspaper. Two layers of masking tape on the spine seemed to give a good edge angle to me and certainly seems to work well for you!

Cheers!

-Xander

Back