Shave of the day?

I've been trying the Trumpers cream samples I got, and the Col Conk lime, with which ever blade I decide to grab, this week was the 7-oclock black. I'm really liking this blade actually, I can see it becoming a regular thing. So far I'm liking those cremes, but I doubt I'll be getting them often. The Col Conk is good, although I find that I get lots of soap running down my hand as I lather, it doesn't seem to soak up the water like the other soaps I've used. Good shaves from it though. I need to get life back on schedule before I forget how to straight shave! On the road for work for a couple days middle of this week, so I think I'll take some prorasso and just hand lather it, as It'll be a light and fast trip, probably not a whole lot of time for anything but sleep. But on the upside, the boss decided to send me out for the event, so hopefully I don't screw up too badly!

gadgetgeek how strong is the lime fragrance? I just tried the AoS lemon and it's nice but could be stronger for me :p Maybe all those wasted years of smoking dulled my senses but have since quit and turned to vaporizing for a year and a half now. love the citrus so far and lime is next on the list if I could find it here.

been using the Xander straight every day and loving it. tabac cream is as effortless as prorasso. found a Varvatos "vintage" kit w/shower gel and aftershave gel and splash. the scent is quite nice and reminds me slightly of bay rum, which I sampled at the shop and didn't quite like that version, so got the vintage without hesitation.

I guess I should put the Vision up for grabs?

Gadgetgeek, I found that the Col. Conk soaps needed some extra glycerine to really make them come to life. I have hard water and they seemed to like that better than soft water. I would use VdH glycerine and double load my brush for a nice super soft lather. I also would let the soap sit with a tblspn of hot water for 5-10 minutes or however long my shower was. This seemed to work ok, but it still is a $3 soap.

-Xander

PapaTango, the lime scent isn't that strong at all. I'm actually kind of glad of that, as I think if it was stronger it might get into lemon-cleaner scent territory! The trumpers lime smells a little less "clean" and I think a little more natural. I've never smelled the AoS stuff, so I can't compare.

Fast14, thanks for the input, I can see what you mean. the water here is not too bad for hardness (nothing like when I lived in Calgary) For my money, I prefer slickness to suds if that makes sense, and it seems pretty slick to me. It holds up fairly well, doesn't dry out on me, and if I take my time and do more than a dozen spins of the brush, I have enough for several passes. It's a fair bit more than $3 where I am, but well within what I consider to be decent value. I'll likely try another scent when this one runs out, but just because that's what I do.

I've been using the same setup I posted earlier, but just for my neckline since I'm growing out my beard. I have a bit of a bald patch underneath my chin (on my neck) so the neckline is a little jacked up lol. I went to the art of shaving that opened in the mall recently and smelled some of the creams and the Ocean Kelp smelled awesome! It smelled almost like grape laffy taffy candy. I also checked out some straights, but they were more expensive than what I could get online for the same razors. I get it though, it's about the experience.

1959 Fatboy, Personna Lab blade, Mike's Barber Shop soap, and Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food.

First use with Mike's Barber Shop soap. Superb performance, but the fragrance is average. Never been to a barber shop that smelled like this soap. :eek:

Today: Merkur Open Comb, Omega silvertip, TOBS 'Mr.Taylor' cream, Feather day 3 , L'Occitane Baux balm.

I don't know, things not so good. This Feather is not cutting close enough (even from day 1) not nicking or cutting mind, but not the usual quality. A dud? It can happen.:mad:

Then there's this new TOBS cream 'Mr Taylor'. Scent is mild to anaemic :grumpy: and the lather is neither as voluminous nor slick as the usual TOBS creams ,which I've found outstanding before. Looking forward to trying the new Coconut 'flavour' and a new Proraso with sandalwod when the packet arives.

Things will improve.

Today's shave; Gillette BD razor, '53 SS 40's style, (Y3) AOS Sandalwood shaving cream, restored Fuller shaving brush w/new 22 X 51 Silver Tip badger knot and Personna DE blade. Good stuff, perfect two pass + stropped goodness.

Running a bit of an impromptu longevity test, popped one of the 7 o'clock blacks into my tech about two weeks ago, and its still going strong. I wish I would have planned it, so I could do a proper test, but so far its way out-preforming the Bic yellow pack blades I've been using. Might be a very solid contender for my next daily blade buy. 100 of those should last me a very long time!

Merkur Progress XL, red Israeli Personna blade, AOS unscented shave cream and after shave balm.

Been trying out the new Taylor of Old Bond St 'Coconut' cream. It certainly smells the part, very tasty! A good rich lather that doesn't dryout on you. Like this 'flavour' a lot together with their 'Lavender'. Not so struck on the 'Shaving Shop' or 'Mr Taylor's' though. 'Almond' and 'Eton College' (before they changed it) are also good.

Got a few more soaps and creams in. I like the Col. Conk Amber and the Bay Rum. To those of who are you Americans these are probably nothing special but they're harder to get in Europe. I find them decent and very effective soaps, nice smell, economical too. Tried a sample of Proraso's Sandalwood. Good cream but anaemic scent, won't buy the whole tub. Also got a free tub of Proraso Sensitive Skin shaving soap and this is thick rather like Cella (one of my firm favourites) in that it is a kind of soap/cream. Seems promising.

So much to choose from when you use a brush. The canned gel seems a far distant bad dream now.....:D

Last edited:
Gillette 59 Fatboy initially set on 7 but then 8 and finally 9.

Feather.

VDH luxury unscented and Kiss my Face pomegranate superlather. Shave Secret pre oil. Badger brush.

Outstanding shave. Still pretty daggum close even after nearly twelve hours.

Lagerfeld Aftershave. Blast from the past.

Regards.

Finally swapped out the well used Gillette blade. It was still shaving smooth-ish, but I was finding it was taking more passes to get everything cleaned up. So an interesting "dullness curve" some of the other blades I've tried start to tug and dig when the dull off, this one stayed nice and glidey, just didn't cut much. back to the bics for a while. The next time I use one of the gillettes, I'll date it and go for distance, see how good it really does.

I think I used my Flare Tip Super Speed for the last time yesterday. I usually use my Fat Boy or my Fat Handle Tech, but I decided to give the Super Speed another go (it had been my main razor until I got the Fat Boy). New Dorco 301 blade, DR Harris soap, great lather, and it just didn't feel right. Put the Dorco blade back in my Fat Boy and it just felt so much better. Until I get a EJ89L or EJ89811, I think my user inventory will be reduced to two.

I echo your post LB, (and greetings...) with my Progress and Slim, and Israeli Reds installed, my three Super's aren't seeing much time. And to add insult, I picked up a Merkur 180/23C the other week, and it shaves beautifully...even if we have to take the thing apart to install a fresh blade, it's worth the trouble. I am rapidly becoming a fan of Merkur's - they just work really well for my shaving needs.

Aside; today it was my 180/23C, Red Israeli red, (Personna), AOS Sandalwood cream with a splash of North Woods scented balm.

Self made Kamisori razor (first shave with it!)
RazoRock classic cream
El Cheapo brush
Nivea Sensitive Skin ASB

Classic barbers prep, 3 passes and a touch up ith the DE (edge still needs some work) DFS!

2012-10-04145343.jpg

-Xander

Proraso Sensitive a kind of soap/cream cross like many Italian things. My skin isn't very sensitive and this was a FREE tub due to a mixed up order.

Mild smell-no surprise-works very well indeed and will be economical.

Feather

Muhle Open Comb you HAVE to be careful with this one, it has an attack dog side....Slow work but ultra close if you concentrate. NOT the razor for a rushed job or you'll look like you've taken a blast of birdshot.....aaargh!:D:eek:

Omega silver tip. Now this is where I'd like some advice please: My other badgers are smaller and cost less, this is big but it moults, it continues to SHED!!! I've not had a badger that sheds bristles before, boar yes. Is this common? I'm getting annoyed with this.:mad::thumbdn:

Thanks, Will

Back