Shave of the day?

Bring this back!

Used RazoRock Classic, bowl lathered and started with first pass with a customized shavette due to 5 or 6 days growth. Finished off with a British Super Speed loaded with a Feather for three more passes and finally Nivea sensitive ASB.

Of course I had Wax Tailor on the turn table while shaving.

-Xander

Mine today was this one, early Merkur slant imported by POMCO -

Rs0Gi3z.jpg

wm stenton and sons again superior 11/8 straight, omega silvertip badger brush, martin de candre soap,with a splash of pinaud bay rum afterwards, refreshing shave to say the least.

Been trying out a Merkur 37c Slant razor the past few days with different blades. Seems a very nice shaving DE no matter what blade I have used.

Bob

Got this yesterday, stropped it, did an arm hair test, was so impressed I shaved my beard off with it. And to my surprise it was extremely smooth and close shave. I wont do it again though just because it was nerve wracking having a knife that sharp that close to my throat :eek: But it felt just like a straight razor (though it's been years since I used a real straight razor, it was my grandfathers and one of my relatives sold it when he passed, I was pissed), but I was very impressed with the shave quality the GB gave.

FhHsqyT.jpg

Got this yesterday, stropped it, did an arm hair test, was so impressed I shaved my beard off with it. And to my surprise it was extremely smooth and close shave. I wont do it again though just because it was nerve wracking having a knife that sharp that close to my throat :eek: But it felt just like a straight razor (though it's been years since I used a real straight razor, it was my grandfathers and one of my relatives sold it when he passed, I was pissed), but I was very impressed with the shave quality the GB gave.

Yup different sharp implements have been used to shave with including sharp rocks and axes. Why would using a knife to shave with be any more daunting than using a straight razor? They are after all both knives. The Germans call a straight razor a Rasiermesser which translates in to shaving knife in English.

Bob

Yup different sharp implements have been used to shave with including sharp rocks and axes. Why would using a knife to shave with be any more daunting than using a straight razor? They are after all both knives. The Germans call a straight razor a Rasiermesser which translates in to shaving knife in English.

Bob
Interesting stuff thanks for that info. I guess it really is the same as a straight razor it just felt a bit awkward since I've never shaved my face with a knife before and have only used a straight razor a few times and that was a few years ago. I think I may buy a new straight razor and start using that though. Feels more manly or I don't know what but it's more satisfying imo. Not to mention the fact that it would pay for itself since I wouldn't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money on those 4 bladed refill cartridges. Yea I think I'm gonna do that. I don't know how to pick out a quality straight razor though I'm not really sure what to look for. Any recommendations on brands or anything?

Interesting stuff thanks for that info. I guess it really is the same as a straight razor it just felt a bit awkward since I've never shaved my face with a knife before and have only used a straight razor a few times and that was a few years ago. I think I may buy a new straight razor and start using that though. Feels more manly or I don't know what but it's more satisfying imo. Not to mention the fact that it would pay for itself since I wouldn't have to spend ridiculous amounts of money on those 4 bladed refill cartridges. Yea I think I'm gonna do that. I don't know how to pick out a quality straight razor though I'm not really sure what to look for. Any recommendations on brands or anything?

I don't know if shaving with a straight is any more manly but it is certainly more satisfying than using a DE or SE razor for me. If I were starting again from scratch I would find a reputable vendor the hones the straight before sending it out as factory edges are hit and miss as to being really shave ready. A reputable vendor also will not sell poor quality straights. The straight razor shaving community is a relatively small group and shoddy practices get exposed pretty quickly. For reputable vendors I would search the dedicated shave forums to see who is being used with satisfaction. When you are looking at straights any 5/8 to 6/8 sized blade will do nicely and preferably in a round point style as a first razor. A spike point will bite if you are not careful with it.

Bob

I don't know if shaving with a straight is any more manly but it is certainly more satisfying than using a DE or SE razor for me. If I were starting again from scratch I would find a reputable vendor the hones the straight before sending it out as factory edges are hit and miss as to being really shave ready. A reputable vendor also will not sell poor quality straights. The straight razor shaving community is a relatively small group and shoddy practices get exposed pretty quickly. For reputable vendors I would search the dedicated shave forums to see who is being used with satisfaction. When you are looking at straights any 5/8 to 6/8 sized blade will do nicely and preferably in a round point style as a first razor. A spike point will bite if you are not careful with it.

Bob
Yea manly may have been the wrong word but definitely more satisfying. Thanks Bob for that info to help get me started again cause I would've been lost and ended up with a piece of junk likely. I'll take your advice and start looking into it. Appreciate your help I'm really looking forward to going back to the straight razor shave!

Yea manly may have been the wrong word but definitely more satisfying. Thanks Bob for that info to help get me started again cause I would've been lost and ended up with a piece of junk likely. I'll take your advice and start looking into it. Appreciate your help I'm really looking forward to going back to the straight razor shave!

No problem, the key is to try and introduce new people with no experience of shaving with a straight razor with an enjoyable first experience. Nothing puts a damper on things than a bad first experience. It may be a little more costly to buy from a reputable dealer a brand new razor that they professionally hone before shipping than going a different route but might save a great deal of aggrivation. Another possible good source is the BST section of the dedicated shave forums for used but shave ready straight razors.

If you do go the brand new professionally honed shave ready razor route, it is recommended that you do not strop the razor before first use. That lets you feel what a shave ready edge feels like and avoids the possibility of damaging the edge by stropping it. The edges on straights are much thinner than on knives and are more easily damaged when stropping then knives are. When you strop before the second use and the edge doesn't feel as good as the first use you have a pretty good hint that your stropping is sub par.

Hope you have a good first experience.

Bob

No problem, the key is to try and introduce new people with no experience of shaving with a straight razor with an enjoyable first experience. Nothing puts a damper on things than a bad first experience. It may be a little more costly to buy from a reputable dealer a brand new razor that they professionally hone before shipping than going a different route but might save a great deal of aggrivation. Another possible good source is the BST section of the dedicated shave forums for used but shave ready straight razors.

If you do go the brand new professionally honed shave ready razor route, it is recommended that you do not strop the razor before first use. That lets you feel what a shave ready edge feels like and avoids the possibility of damaging the edge by stropping it. The edges on straights are much thinner than on knives and are more easily damaged when stropping then knives are. When you strop before the second use and the edge doesn't feel as good as the first use you have a pretty good hint that your stropping is sub par.

Hope you have a good first experience.

Bob
Thank you very much. I'm going to go the route of a reputable dealer. I don't mind paying more for quality especially since it will eventually pay for itself (those disposable cartridges can get very costly) and also like you mentioned I want to feel what the professional edge should feel like so I know what to strive for when I need to strop it. My stropping technique is pretty solid with knives but I'll have to do some research and practice on stropping a straight razor as I understand its a whole different animal.

I would recommend a good vintage razor, either from an antique shop or an old barber. you also can find them in other places as well. a lot of good info as well as b s t on some razor forums. stropping should be slow until you get the hang of it. I have been using straights for over 40 yrs and nothing else fills the satisfaction of a well honed straight. if you look you will find forums such as straight razor place and badger and blade just to name a few. lots of good info on either.
the new made straights just do not compare to the older makers, but there again, the vintage razors have stood the test of time and the bad ones pretty much weeded out.

I would recommend a good vintage razor, either from an antique shop or an old barber. you also can find them in other places as well. a lot of good info as well as b s t on some razor forums. stropping should be slow until you get the hang of it. I have been using straights for over 40 yrs and nothing else fills the satisfaction of a well honed straight. if you look you will find forums such as straight razor place and badger and blade just to name a few. lots of good info on either.
the new made straights just do not compare to the older makers, but there again, the vintage razors have stood the test of time and the bad ones pretty much weeded out.
Thanks for the forum recommendations. Definitely gonna do some research after work tonight.

stropping is not really that hard. keep the spine on the strop, edge away from you pull razor toward you flip edge toward you push away. keep the spine on the strop at all times. the honing is the same with edge directions reversed. you don't have to keep the spine on the stone when you change directions when honing I use rolling x strokes dillicot method.

Yes, stropping is not really that hard to do and neither is shaving with a straight but both have a learning curve. On the shaving forum I belong to there are an amazing number of beginners that hack up their hanging strops while learning to strop properly. I did to an extent when learning to strop but not bad enough that the strop was none repairable. Every time you hack your strop you are not doing the edge much good. Stropping, shaving and honing are all appear deceptively easy to do when you have your technique down pat, getting there can be fun.

Bob

just finished a shave with my 8/8 wade and butcher smiling wedge, honed out 1k bevel set, 4k then coti, finished on the new apache strata. very fine bbs shave.

Prep - None
Soap - MdC
Brush - Plisson
Razor - Leon Pelleray Paris
Strop - Neil Miller 3 inch shell Cordovan leather/English linen
Post - Alum block
AS - 4711

Cold water face lathered shave.

So good to see this thread back and slicing!

Will get some pix of my modest shaving gear up soon.

Thanks, Will

Prep - None
Soap - Tabac
Brush - Muhle Retro silver tip badger
Razor - Vintage Boker
Strop - Neil Miller 3 inch shell Cordovan leather/English linen
Post - Alum block
AS - Tabac

Cold water face lathered shave.

Bob

Back