Sheath #1 of the weekend

I've been dialing in my sewing machine, while also working on my edges. Trying to take some advice I heard a while back, which is "go slow to go fast". Many thinks to all who have given feedback in previous posts on areas needing improvement. I almost went off the side of the sheath with my stitching on this one (It wasn't sanded exactly straight right at the top) so I've learned something else to pay attention to and work on. Getting ready to start my second project of the weekend, it's gonna be a hot day in the shop. 20170715_192131_resized_1.jpg 20170715_192256_resized_1.jpg 20170715_192220_resized_1.jpg 20170715_192237_resized_1.jpg 20170715_200859_resized.jpg 20170715_200921_resized.jpg 20170715_200943_resized.jpg

Side note: After fiddling some more with the tension on the Cobra, I decided it was a good time to try the 207/207 threading. What I leaned, when changing my thread was that I was not using 277/207 like I thought I was. It was 346/277. Jeesh. No wonder my knots have been so big on the backstitch. I didn't have any black 207, so did this one 277/277. Def. a big improvement.

Amy, take a look at the back of your sheath. The reason that the stitch migrated toward the edge is because when you made your pattern you failed to narrow the belt loop down to about 2/3rds wide toward the tip. This extra width toward the end of the loop caused the edge of the loop to catch on the edge of the floor plate of your machine and forces it to the outside moving the stitch very close to the edge. You can cure this problem at the pattern making stage by insuring that you have a MINIMUM 3/4" clearance between the edge of the loop and the edge of the sheath giving plenty of room for it to stitch by that area without any contact.

Paul

Last edited:
Amy, take a look at the back of your sheath. The reason that the stitch migrated toward the edge is because when you made your pattern you failed to narrow the belt loop down to about 2/3rds wide toward the tip. This extra width toward the end of the loop caused the edge of the loop to catch on the edge of the floor plate of your machine and forces it to the outside moving the stitch very close to the edge. You can cure this problem at the pattern making stage by insuring that you have a MINIMUM 3/4" clearance between the edge of the loop and the edge of the sheath giving plenty of room for it to stitch by that area without any contact.

Paul
It never occurred to me that's what caused the problem. Now I understand the reason behind narrowing it at the tip, which I have gotten away from doing. Thank you so much!

Back