Sheath making tutorial(Pic intensive)

I always offset the hole for the keeper strap away from the edge of the knife. Doing this helps keep the strap away from the edge of the knife when drawing or sheathing the knife.

TankbusterSheath3.jpg

Plus one hole makes it easier to remove the keeper strap if need be. For replacement or if the user likes the snap oriented a certain way.

Thanks for the pic. I see it now. Makes sense. So often those keeper straps stretch out etc. It would be easy to replace the strap the way you do it. Great idea on the positioning.

Can I ask one question?

Why do you not use a stitch groover on the back side of your sheaths? You use it on the front - but not the back (the hand stitched one of course).

TF

Nick, absolutely great tutorial.

Now that you do have the Cobra, I assume that on the rare occasion that you may have to hand stitch, that you quietly sneak up on the machine and run the sheath or item through without thread and there are your perfectly spaced and straight holes.

Paul

Very very nice!! It really helps to SEE the process, not just hear or read about it.

It's a really neat group of guys who make leather goods and I have found many who are more than willing to teach... either by phone, email or whatever.

I hope to be cranking out some nice work in the near future!

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Hey, Mr. Moderator! This thread of Nick's should be a sticky. It contains some great information and show how, know how. Please!???

Paul Long

Nick,
Very informative. Maybe you mentioned, but I did not see, How do you tie off the end of the hand stitched thread? I always end up with thread ends sticking out.

Sam

Nick,
Very informative. Maybe you mentioned, but I did not see, How do you tie off the end of the hand stitched thread? I always end up with thread ends sticking out.

Sam

Sam,

To complete a stitch line when hand sewing I pull on thread to give it a little tension and I use my thread snips to cut the thread as close to the sheath as possible. Then I use the needle to push the thread end that is sticking out back into the hole. After doing this some people apply a tiny drop of "Crazy Glue" to the hole, I just leave it.

Hope that helped.

Nick

Wow! great job & info. You've got some nice tools, of course they don't matter if you don't know how to use em'.

Thanks,
Keith

Nice job indeed! I know it takes time to get all those shots!
G2

Wow! great job & info. You've got some nice tools, of course they don't matter if you don't know how to use em'.

Thanks,
Keith

Keith,

I enjoyed doing the tutorial. My intent was to pass on what little I know so others may be able to learn a little something.

As for my tools, many of the tools I use the most I have upgraded and purchased them from Jeremiah Watt and Barry King. I like these tools very much and find that they do make a difference in my work.

As far as my knowing how to use my tools, I am always looking to learn from people who have something to teach. While I am not at the level of Sandy or Paul in my leather work, I think I make a pretty fair knife sheath.

Gary,

Thanks for the kind words, you set the standard for photographs of the sheath making process. I really enjoy your posts.

Nick

WOW!
Great tutorial. I'm just starting, I bungled through my first sheath.

All of the detailed pics and info have inspired me to do the next, the drill press technique does it for me, I drilled holes on first and was not happy.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to share your knowledge.

Mark Behnke

love that bone folder/edger is Weaver the only place to find one of those?
G2

Gary,

Weaver's is the easiest place to get Jeremiah Watt's tools. You can get them directly from him. His website is www.ranch2arena.com. All of Jeremiah Watt's tools are available there. If you are into western saddle work at all be prepared to be blown away.

Mark,

I'm glad you enjoyed the tutorial. I bungled my way through quite a few sheaths so I know the feeling. Heck, I still bungle my way through things when I try a new design or style. The best way to learn is to just jump in and make some sheaths, try different things and ask questions.

Excellent tutorial!!!!
I have never done any leather sheaths but wondered if I could. This thread gives me the confidence to try.
This should definitely be stickied!!! (That way I can find it easily!!!)
Thank you for taking the time to post this.

Uhm, What? :confused:

Seriously? I had respect before, not so much now.

Sorry Nick, but that really needs to be addressed, wow.

Well.. I would like to chalk Keith's comments up to the fact that many times it is hard to get across the tone and emphasis you truly mean when communicating in writing, especially on the internet. If that is not the case then he is entitled to his opinion.

So what I think we need to do is have a beer summit. We can all meet for beers, failing that I will have some beers.

Last edited:
another never mind,

Many Kudos to Nick for posting that tutorial, I did it once for the Swamp Rat crew and it was very rewarding.

Last edited:
While I won't attempt to speak for Keith, I don't read it that way.

He stated right off how he feels about your work and the tutorial when he said "great job & info". Then he also complimented your tools. It seems to me, after all that, the last part wouldn't be a slam. Instead, since he doesn't want it to sound like he's crediting your tools for the nice work, he tries to make it clear that you obviously have the skills to go with them.

That's what I got out of it anyway.

Back