Sheath making tutorial(Pic intensive)

Thanks a million for this thread Nick! It really helps in the process. It inspired me to make my own and I should be done with it in a day or so. This is definitely sticky worthy!!!

Thanks a million for this thread Nick! It really helps in the process. It inspired me to make my own and I should be done with it in a day or so. This is definitely sticky worthy!!!

I haven't checked this thread for some time now.

I would really like to see some sheaths people have built as after reading this thread.:)

Regards,

Nick

Howdy.
Nick681,Did you use Barbour's linen thread #7 (as I saw in the picure in the main page tutorial) or did you use something else size?
If so do you usually use #7 for your sheaths?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Howdy.
Nick681,Did you use Barbour's linen thread #7 (as I saw in the picure in the main page tutorial) or did you use something else size?
If so do you usually use #7 for your sheaths?

Thanks in advance.

I used 5chord linen thread for the sheath in the pictures. I used the 7 chord thread for the picture because i lost the box for the 5 chord spool. I use the 5 chord or #5 thread for most sheaths and I use 7 chord or #7 thread for bigger sheaths or where I think the 7 chord would look nicer. 5 chord thread is adequate for most knife sheaths.

Regards,

Nick

I used 5chord linen thread for the sheath in the pictures. I used the 7 chord thread for the picture because i lost the box for the 5 chord spool. I use the 5 chord or #5 thread for most sheaths and I use 7 chord or #7 thread for bigger sheaths or where I think the 7 chord would look nicer. 5 chord thread is adequate for most knife sheaths.

Regards,

Nick

Thanks for your prompt reply.:)
Do you have any sheaths's pictures to show me about that barbour's linen #7 cord ?

Thanks again.

Thanks for your prompt reply.:)
Do you have any sheaths's pictures to show me about that barbour's linen #7 cord ?

Thanks again.

Not right now. I will have some pics this weekend, I am teaching some people how to make a knife sheath at our local Tandy/Leather factory on Saturdays and they are using the 7 cord thread. I will take some pics and post them for you this weekend.

Nick

Regards,

Nick
Thanks Nick, that's nice of you.
If I don't ask too much could you take a picture with a sheath where you used a barbour #5 cord and in the same pic a sheath where you used a #7 cord? I need to see the difference.

Thanks again.

Ps
The thing is, I would like too buy a roll of Barbour linen therad for general purpose and I'm wavering in between 5# or #6.
I am afraid that #5 would be too thin but not sure at all :rolleyes:.

This thread is awesome. I have my Grandpas old sheath knife and the original sheath is pretty much dead. It was cheesy to begin with so i didnt want to try to duplicate it. The techniques in this tutorial will be put to good use soon. I am dying to make a new scabbard for Grandpas old blade. I am so glad I found this forum. Thanks for the time and effort to post this nick681.

Wow, just wow... Thanks OP for putting this together!
Working on my first sheath and this is really going to help. For anybody else in my shoes I thinkthis link is pretty informative too.

Great thread.....awnsered alot of questions I had. I just finished my first sheath not long ago, before I read this. It looks like hell IMO, but I learned alot, and cant wait to make another one now....

Great work and in my case, those pictures with the basic info is worth thousands of words. Good Job.

A little bump to the top for those who have not seen this thread

Nick, I was fortunate to find this thread looking for a materials list for making axe/tomahawk bit covers. What a great thread, thanks for taking the time to share your experience and posting it.

That was a great tutorial! And the sheath looks amazing! I don't doubt the quality of that sheath at all. Way to go!

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for this tutorial! I know this is a couple years after you posted it, but I was searching the internet to find a sheath tutorial, and I was lucky enough to stumble upon this. This is only the third sheath I have ever made, and I wanted to try this style. I will post a pic of the sheath when I get it finished, which should be within a week. Thanks again nick681!

Thanks for this informative tutorial. I have learned a lot from this, mostly: You do great work and I could never top this. I do not have the time, patience, fine motor skill, equipment and most of all money to make a quality sheath. Also, I don't have the space to do it in. I really just wanted to take a few days, maybe a week, to make a sheath because the one I got with the knife really sucks. So, for me, making my own seemed easy at first, but after reading this tutorial I realized I cannot do this and expect the sheath to be of any great quality. I will be purchasing a sheath from professional who does this for a living. That way I can guarantee the sheath will work and serve my purpose, and lastly I don't have to sell all that crap I bought after I'm done making the sheath. I never intended for this sheath making process to become a burden to my wallet or a hobby.

Thanks for enlightening me.

All the best!!

Back