Leather Sheath repair

I slit the side of a leather knife sheath while putting the knife in crooked. The inside is a bit roughed up, but the cut on the outside is barely visible. The knife must have been catching at this point, but I did not notice it until it cut through.

I was thinking of sealing the cut using ordinary superglue. Will this work well with leather? Is there a better way to repair this? Should I try patching the inside of the sheath so the knife does not catch at this point again?

Any advice, or links to other relevant discussions will be appreciated.

If I were you ,I would make another sheath. Your safety is more important than trying to salvage the sheath.
Maybe get one made that fits the knife better so there is no question to how the blade goes in it. Also sounds like maybe a thicker weight leather might be a good idea, or maybe even kydex if that is your thing.

Thanks. There are leather working shops around, but I am not hopeful about getting good quality work where I live. But as I write, I realize that the best place to go is back where I bought the knife. It is made by citadel in Cambodia. I will be back there in a month or so.

In the meantime, I am still interested in repair solutions. Its a small nick, so far, so if I can fix it there should be no safety issues.

Yes superglue will work. Best to have some accelerator around so it doesn't wick to where ya don't want it.

If you're the least bit adept (which pretty well describes me when it comes to leather working:rolleyes:) you can quite easily craft a new sheath, using the original as a pattern. I've done this with a number of knives, such as Roselli blades -- the knives are superb, the sheaths are not. I generally use latigo (saddle) leather, which I waterproof with several coats of SnowSeal melted in with a hair dryer (not my wife's), and stitch with waxed nylon thread using the cobbler's stitch and cobbler's needles.

depending on how deep the cut is down in the sheath, put the super glue on a thin stick and apply it in to the cut that way.
That might save a lot of hassle

Thanks everybody for their advice. I used superglue, applying it with a pin into the slit, and I repaired the inside with an elastic adhesive so the knife would not catch so easiely

Back