Sheaths for a friend - work in progress

wildmanh

Part time Leather Bender/Sheath maker
I'm working on two sheaths for a friend and thought I would share them with you. The larger sheath is for a custom Hankins bowie and the other is for a SOG X-42 field knife. The Hankins sheath needs two retaining straps and the SOG sheath needs the edges finished and retaining straps. What do you guys think so far?

Thanks for looks,

Heber

Heber, overall pretty good, nice even dyeing and stitching looks pretty good.Nice touch on the SOG sheath by contouring the belt loop, remember the old saying "it's all in the details". Speaking of that, you should have probably contoured the top of the sheath mouth to match the handle as well as the belt loop.Another thing I hate to see, probably from all the talks with Sandy is not dyeing the inside of the belt loop and sheath. The inside of both deserve equal time for a pro job,and it can make the difference between a good sheath and a great sheath.Keep up the good work. Dave:)

Heber, overall pretty good, nice even dyeing and stitching looks pretty good.Nice touch on the SOG sheath by contouring the belt loop, remember the old saying "it's all in the details". Speaking of that, you should have probably contoured the top of the sheath mouth to match the handle as well as the belt loop.Another thing I hate to see, probably from all the talks with Sandy is not dyeing the inside of the belt loop and sheath. The inside of both deserve equal time for a pro job,and it can make the difference between a good sheath and a great sheath.Keep up the good work. Dave:)

Thank you Dave, I really apreciate the comments/recommendations. :) Am noticing that the little things really count. Will work on staining/dyeing the inside of the sheath and contouring it in the future.

Robbie, thanks for the compliment. Think our friend will like them?

Heber

wildmanh,

I'm thinking your friend will like those sheaths .... both are similar to other sheaths you've made: nothing particularly fancy, just 100% functional for the task.

Lotsa Leather And Well Put Together !!! The perfect combination in both knife sheaths and desireable women.

Great Work !!!!!!!

Cheers,

Carl

wildmanh,

I'm thinking your friend will like those sheaths .... both are similar to other sheaths you've made: nothing particularly fancy, just 100% functional for the task.

Lotsa Leather And Well Put Together !!! The perfect combination in both knife sheaths and desireable women.

Great Work !!!!!!!

Cheers,

Carl

Thanks Carl, Hope I can finish them for you this week. The Hankins sheath will have two straps and the SOG sheath will have one if thats okay.

Heber

I'm short on time tonight but I thought I'd add this in here for future debate, its a good subject and one that I've been working over for a while.

I stopped using dye on the inside of my belt loops and on the inside of pouch sheaths because of dye migration. I still treat the leather though, either wax on the pouches and or gum trag on the loops or both depending. I got a lot of feedback from customers telling me their handles were getting stained from the inside of the sheath. Same feedback about belts and pants getting leached onto. No more dye inside, no more migration. I wasnt having near as much trouble with belt loops leaching, but the sheaths were becoming an issue, and I had to do something. Function sometimes does trump form.

Back