Sheridan Leather Show / New projects

It'd been a while since visiting Sheaths and Such so thought I'd drop by and hi. Haven't had time to do much leather work lately but we did just get done with the Sheridan, WY Leather Show this weekend which I greatly look forward to every year. Acquired a couple sides of Herman Oak, a new Swivel Knife, and a whole bunch of nice exotics ranging from Shark, Elephant, Stingray, Croc, Hippo, to Ostrich Leg. Should keep me going for a while :). Wanted to share one the coolest and most unique hides I've ever seen or been lucky enough to acquire. Picked up this 9 sq. ft. piece of Elephant from my favorite exotics dealer. Boy is it a stunning piece of leather!

34025980154_794c39f040_c.jpg

Which of course I had to make something out of and ended up being this little front pocket minimalist wallet. It is laminated to a 2/3oz Herman Oak veg tan liner. Boy are those edges hard to get smooth and nice with this hide. Not that any chome tan exotic is easy (well except Shark and Hippo) but Elephant proved to be especially challenging.

34705837332_339253dae3_c.jpg

I also made a cigar case for my knife maker buddy in Florida (if you remember the valet tray with his Wolf head logo). It turned out pretty nice but these photos unfortunately are not the best and don't do it justice. Talk about a challenge to carve / tool that wolf head logo in a 2" x 3" size! Pulled it off though. The front bottom is Warthog and the rest is dyed and textured / tooled veg tan.

34705837062_c19eb4e51a_c.jpg

34025979804_1f9cbfd70b_c.jpg

and a better photo during construction of the Wolf head logo on the back:

34829842176_f820aeaf70_c.jpg

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!

Wow, both projects are truly nice. Love your wolf logo. The swivel knife I have might as well be from an alien planet. It's just completely unnatural to me in my hand, so I love seeing folks who know how to use and create beautiful works of art with one. Hope you have a great Holiday as well!

Wow that leather is gorgeous. I see a 1911 holster in its future with a matching mag carrier. Great work! Ya got any pics of the show to share??

It'd been a while since visiting Sheaths and Such so thought I'd drop by and hi. Haven't had time to do much leather work lately but we did just get done with the Sheridan, WY Leather Show this weekend which I greatly look forward to every year. Acquired a couple sides of Herman Oak, a new Swivel Knife, and a whole bunch of nice exotics ranging from Shark, Elephant, Stingray, Croc, Hippo, to Ostrich Leg. Should keep me going for a while :). Wanted to share one the coolest and most unique hides I've ever seen or been lucky enough to acquire. Picked up this 9 sq. ft. piece of Elephant from my favorite exotics dealer. Boy is it a stunning piece of leather!

34025980154_794c39f040_c.jpg

Which of course I had to make something out of and ended up being this little front pocket minimalist wallet. It is laminated to a 2/3oz Herman Oak veg tan liner. Boy are those edges hard to get smooth and nice with this hide. Not that any chome tan exotic is easy (well except Shark and Hippo) but Elephant proved to be especially challenging.

34705837332_339253dae3_c.jpg

I also made a cigar case for my knife maker buddy in Florida (if you remember the valet tray with his Wolf head logo). It turned out pretty nice but these photos unfortunately are not the best and don't do it justice. Talk about a challenge to carve / tool that wolf head logo in a 2" x 3" size! Pulled it off though. The front bottom is Warthog and the rest is dyed and textured / tooled veg tan.

34705837062_c19eb4e51a_c.jpg

34025979804_1f9cbfd70b_c.jpg

and a better photo during construction of the Wolf head logo on the back:

34829842176_f820aeaf70_c.jpg

Hope everyone has a great Memorial Day weekend!

Hey I was at the Sheridan show also and got some very interesting looking elephant nice stuff for inlays

Nice work!

Thank you, I appreciate it!

Wow, both projects are truly nice. Love your wolf logo. The swivel knife I have might as well be from an alien planet. It's just completely unnatural to me in my hand, so I love seeing folks who know how to use and create beautiful works of art with one. Hope you have a great Holiday as well!

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words! Yeah swivel knife work and the subsequent beveling, backgrounding, etc. is all difficult stuff. Especially when you get into small stuff and tight turns. It's fun and rewarding though. Maybe you can get somewhere sometime to try a bunch of swivel knives out and find the one that is right for you. I know I only have one that really fits and feels right to me. The rest are almost unusable.

Wow! that elephant leather is stunning.

Thank you! It really is. One of the most interesting and unique pieces of leather I've ever seen let alone be lucky enough to have.

Wow that leather is gorgeous. I see a 1911 holster in its future with a matching mag carrier. Great work! Ya got any pics of the show to share??

Thanks Dave! Ha ha you know me too well. I think a matching belt, holster, mag carrier, and knife sheath might just be in order someday :). Unfortunately, I do not. I was going to take pictures this year but once I step into that convention center, the atmosphere is electrifying with all sorts of great eye candy and I forgot all about taking photos. Next year!

Hey I was at the Sheridan show also and got some very interesting looking elephant nice stuff for inlays

Right on! It's quite the show isn't it? I'm betting you visited Jerry for that? Great guy with a great selection and prices.

Ok your project for next year is to be our correspondant! A matching belt would be great too! Ya got the length on that piece?

Ok your project for next year is to be our correspondant! A matching belt would be great too! Ya got the length on that piece?

I'll certainly do that! I think I do. It's got plenty of length and I'm not the biggest guy with a 30" waist so should be doable. Will be sure to post photos when I get around to it.

Back