Shiv uses

Scaring the living bejebus out of a bad guy comes to mind, but I'll assume you want serious answers.

Yea, figured that! Wish I could get a utility fighter, would probably work a little better for my uses, but I'm sure I could make the Shiv work. I wonder how many people have put their Shiv to use? Let me know what you guys use it for!

Perhaps the allure of the Shiv is similar to that of Busse WTF, quad-fluted dirks, CS Magnum Tanto XII satin San Mai III, etc. in that it looks so bad ass you have to get one (or two) despite it being less reasonable compared to your other blades when it comes to performing most tasks.

It would obviously excel at taking out the sidewalls of tires and things of that nature, but even then a 1-2" sharpened swedge would be preferable, and I'm not sure how practical of a task this really is.

It is not a fighting tool; rather it is a "fight avoidance" tool because nobody in their right mind would want to screw with someone who has one in their hand. ;)

Other uses? Opening envelopes, sticking wild hogs, and owning one helps to put food in the mouths of Nathan's family and pay his mortgage. :thumbsup:

Per Nathan's website description
It is an 8″ modern combat fighter that was originally developed as a combat knife during the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. It is a heavy duty stabbing weapon that will not fail at a bad time. It can open a hole in a brick wall, pry open a glove box, breach a door and butter your toast. It’s also used by pig hunters.
Nathan's knives are quite simply superior to any other knife maker in term of Price to Performance ratio:thumbsup:

It's a very cool fighting tool within Nathan's patterns and roster, and a must own for an enthusiast to add to one's repertoire whether for collection and / or use. That said, I have psychologically conditioned myself to walk away from a shiv, if the chance to own one never presents itself. Pacifying words for sure for my own sake, but I have made my peace with my maker, er, I mean, its maker ;)

It's the fighter I would most want in hand to hand combat. Better yet, two of them, one as a main gauche/forward slicer.

I'll add more images of mine tomorrow or early next week in the CPK Post Images thread, since such interest is being expressed in Shivs.

But I think the most telling comment here has been about Nathan's knives (all models) being the best you can get for the price vs the performance. Absolutely.

Last edited:
Oh it at least doubles your sex appeal. It tripled mine.

Owning a Shiv:
Your passport requires no photograph
Superman has pajamas with the CPK logo
You no longer need to wait 15 minutes after finishing a meal before returning to the pool
When a tree falls in a forest and no one is there, you can hear it
Sharks have a week dedicated to the Shiv
You can bowl overhanded
In museums, you're allowed to touch the art
You're allowed to talk about the fight club...

Back