Short Day Hike at Lake Grapevine

Been having some beautiful weather out here in north Texas so my lady friend and I decided to take a short day hike around Lake Grapevine. I thought I'd share a few pictures of what we took with us. Keep in mind that we were not more than 4 miles from the car with full cell service the entire time.

Lavonne with her pack, water bottle hiking kit, and with my Izula wearing custom kydex by Marion David Poff. Tactical eyewear by Marc Jacobs. High speed shorts by Under Armour. High visibility headband so I don't lose her in the bush. :rolleyes:

IMG_5590.JPG

This kydex rig is an idea that Marion came up with to always have a fire-starting tool with the Izula. Kydex is cleverly made to accommodate scales or no scales on the Izula. :thumbup:

IMG_5591.JPG

Paracord incased ball chain with heat shrink tips to satisfy my OCD. Paracord makes the lanyard more comfortable around the neck but is still safe as it will break away. Paracord is also good for noise discipline should we start to hear banjos and need to move stealthily through the bush. :eek: The Mini Light My Fire with striker out of the kydex. My embarrassingly clean and unused Izula.

IMG_5596.JPG

Lavonne modeling her water bottle hiking kit. Maxpedition water bottle holder, 1.5 inch shoulder strap, and 1.5 inch shoulder strap pad.

IMG_5599.jpg

32 ounce Nalgene bottle - pink of course, to match her pink Izula (not shown). Stainless GSI cup - to boil water in should the need arise, or to hydrate her boxer (not shown). Johnson and Johnson dental floss - unflavored, waxed - to use as cordage, for fire-starting, or for dislodging beef jerky stuck between your teeth (not shown). Tinder-Quick Fire Tabs - 10 count - pretty obvious. Anodized Aluminum Spark-Lite Firestarter with 8 Tinder-Quick Fire Tabs in the plastic box - I like this one because it is very sturdy, designed for one handed use, and is able to be refilled if the flints wear out. Orange Fox 40 whistle - for signaling should we require medical assistance and both our mobiles are down. 2" x 3" StarFlash Ultra Signal Mirror - for signaling should we require medical assistance and both our mobiles are down, or for Lavonne to check her hair or teeth for said beef jerky. Fenix LD15 - uses 1 AA so it's cheap to run and easy to carry spares and you can buy replacement batteries at any store. Lavonne also says it's easy to hold in her mouth if she's using both hands in the dark. :cool:

IMG_5600.JPG

For those familier with the area, this is from the west side of the lake facing east where the Gaylord Texan is.

IMG_5587.JPG

It was a beautiful day and we had a great time hiking the trails in solitude. I'll make another post covering what we had in our packs when I have some more time. Thanks for your time and I hope you enjoyed the pictures. :)

Last edited:
Great pics. Nice work showing more of the lady friend and less of your ugly mug. :D

Oh and unused Izula....you should be ashamed!

It's been great weather around here to enjoy. I know that spot well.

Nice pics! Good looking gear and model.

The Maxpedition Mini Kit looks great. I particularly like the Stainless GSI cup and it looks like the Nalgene will fit in it.

Like that Kydex sheath too.

Wow dude. I'm In Lewisville. Good to know someone here that's not far away! Ive been to Lake Grapevine countless times. Great lake.

Very nice seeing people in tee shirts and shorts gives hope that winter may be gone.
Thanks for the post

Great pics. Nice work showing more of the lady friend and less of your ugly mug. :D

Oh and unused Izula....you should be ashamed!

I figured you guys would appreciate me not modeling the gear :)
I do need to get that Izula dirty...sounds like a camp out is in order!

It's been great weather around here to enjoy. I know that spot well.

Nice pics! Good looking gear and model.

Thank you on all three counts friend :thumbup:

I'm liking the girl. She into blades too? If so then you should lend out your luck, I need connections with more women of that caliber!
;)

hmm, when I used to go fishing up on Denton creek near Grapevine lake, I never ran into good lookin women with knives :) I've fished Grapevine many times....cool place. It sure is getting crowded in that area though.

Ah, Grapevine TX, I lived there for a while, and I have been to Lake Grape a few times. Rainforest Cafe, Humperdinks, and Wizards. Man that place was cool.

Looks like ya lady is a real catch. Hang onto her, if she can cook, keep her.

Moose

Wow i dint know we had so many people so locally in NRTH tx. I myself live in lewisville.

Good pics. Looks nice and warm.

You guys need to dirty up that gear!!! That cup looks like its never seen a fire, and that firesteel looks like its never been struck. :D

Nice to get out with the ladies. My wife loves coming out with me.

grew up in North Richland hills...live in Bedford now....weird to see a post titled Lake Grapevine on here

Back