Show us your Randalls

My 5-6 and I on an overlook, on the way up Boney Mountain (Santa Monica Mountains):
348n520.jpg

From the peak:

10frrjn.jpg

fw17qr.jpg

A shot of the 5-6 the day before the climb, being touched up:
23j1s08.jpg

Hey, I can see my house from there...

Came home at lunch to meet Yellow Bear, dangit if the postman wasn't early today. The notice was already in the box. Fortunately, I kinda know their routine in the Village and was able to quickly track him down.

DSC03577_zps2zhosenp.jpg

For those that don't know, it's a 12-8 "Bear Bowie" with an O1 blade, Westinghouse "Old Yeller" micarta commando grip, brass guard and butt. Interesting that the blade is 3/16" vice the now available 1/4" stock. Makes it much lighter and quicker in the hand. Brown JRB plain-snap sheath with a white Norton Soft Arkansas stone. No disappointment here, it's a beaut.

Shel, my guide is out at Johnny's, a little help with the dating?

DSC03578_zpsxjywrg0j.jpg

Not quite as yellow as Lil' Sparky, but then it is a bit older.

DSC03579_zpsc21mx64k.jpg

DSC03580_zpspws4hcc4.jpg

Color me a happy camper...

What a gorgeous knife! Does the end cap have the flat brass nut, or inverted nut?

The flat brass nut.

DSC03584_zps9c5tiaaf.jpg

My bike was feeling left out, I got it a present.

DSC03582_zpsld9ig8gd.jpg

DSC03583_zpssrpmacct.jpg

Hey, I'm not totally without feelings... ;)

Alan, your new #12-8 was made on the early side of Early to Mid 1970's; probably around '72. No older, not much newer. Cool knife!

Cool! I wasn't too far off then...

Just won a charity auction supporting the Navy Seal Foundation;

NSF%20Model%2014_zpsi1vo6wqp.jpg

'70's - '80's Model 14, nicely optioned with a Stainless blade, sawteeth, thumb notches, NS single guard, black micarta Border Patrol grip, thong hole. Brown plain-snap sheath w/orange India stone. All in excellent condition.

Worthy cause, and a very highly rated (100%) charity.

The cool Randall is just icing on the cake...

Clean mid 80's Classic Model #1 'All-Purpose Fighting Knife' - cool user. :thumbsup:

Shel,

To me, the spacers say mid 80s, but what about that tight stitched RBJ? Same era?

Tom, sure, if all-original, it would be made right at about '84 into '86, when the 'all thin' spacer stack was introduced, and the tightly stitched Johnson Roughback Sheath style was being phased out in favor of the looser stitched version. But, with regards to the sheath; older sheaths could languish in sheath bins at the RMK Shop (first in, last out rule), buried under newer arrivals if you will. And, while not (as) commonly used by son Johnnie Johnson, as was by his father, Maurice, the machine that produced the tighter stitch was still used on occasion, such as when the looser stitch producing machine was down for repair. And/or, the sheath might've simply gotten swapped out or mixed up with that of another, older knife, in the past. That's pretty common, too.

The key is almost always the spacers, that indicates when the knife was made, and as such it can't be older than when a feature, in this case, the spacer type, was introduced (spacers, hilt/handle material, blade stamp type, compass, etc.) - that said, as RMK's most popular model, in the most popular blade length, I'd wager not many of that sheath type languished for any length of time; thus the mid 80's date given. Still, exceptions...

Back