Show Your Machetes

Over 60 years old. Gift from an uncle. Supposedly from the Phillippines. Still sharp after decades of neglect (kept in garage).

dihwBod.jpg

A little sanding and oiling on that handle and a little time on a stone should have that back to full operation in no time!

I thought there were no identification marks but after a bit of light sanding I found a name stamped near the handle. That blows the Phillippines origin
?ORETMULE & SONS
BIRMINGHAM
ENGLAND
MADE IN ????

To the right of the name is a steam ship logo and close to the handle at right angle is - No3501

The letters are very faint but maybe someone can help identify the maker more certainly. Thanks. Tony

Awesome machete! I'm looking for a WWII era one myself...preferably without scales so I can make my own.

Don't tell my wife, I just picked up these from a store all in one purchase. Only $33 in the U.S.A even!

20150828_173440_zpsi7xvthri.jpg

20150828_173513_zpsdpi3logc.jpg

20150828_173500_zpstzlbxr0f.jpg

$3.33 per blade, Not bad are any of them any good?
I like the ones in the last picture.

I have Tramontina machetes in three sizes: 10", 12" and 16".

I've made sheaths for the 10" and 12" out of heated and shaped polyethylene water pipe. The sixteen-incher lives in a commercial sheath made out of synthetic fabric.

Here is a ten-incher with a leather sheath and a home-made pipe sheath. I prefer the pipe sheath by far. I gave the leather one away, even though it was really expensive.

TramontinaPolySheath-3.jpg

The 16" is my choice when I have to cut lots of prickly scrub, but for an everyday companion when hunting or trapping I like the 12"... although the 10" will do most things the 12" can do. I have modified the points of these machetes to make them more useful for sticking a pig if necessary.

A couple of months or so ago I was setting some pig snares. I walked back the way I came, and found a feral billy goat in one of the snares. I used my 12" to despatch the unlucky animal which was caught in a snare I'd set maybe an hour earlier. The adult goats I've been getting around here have been fairly tough, but it is good meat to feed the dog.

I kept the goat horns, and I took a photo of them so I'd have a dated record of the hunt on my computer.

TramontinaGoat_zpsn8aa9kb4.jpg

Back