Silky Saws!

Hard Knocks

Gold Member
Since our host(s) here carry the Silky saws, and there's been a lot of talk about them recently, I'm hoping to get some more information from those here that have experience with them. Specifically, which one is your favorite model for what use? What size teeth do you like, and for what kind of wood, that kind of thing. I haven't tried one yet, but have had my eye on the big boy for awhile now........

Also, I was pretty impressed with the video Guy posted on the katanaboy.

[video]https://www.instagram.com/p/BGixtz4JbuX/[/video]

Last edited:
I have the Gomboy 240 with either medium or large teeth. This saw chews up everything from green pine to seasoned oak so far. Now that I think about it I think I have the large teeth and it rips through hard wood no problem.

I have the Gomboy 240 with either medium or large teeth. This saw chews up everything from green pine to seasoned oak so far. Now that I think about it I think I have the large teeth and it rips through hard wood no problem.

If those large teeth work even in oak, I don't think I'd have any problem with them out here then.

STOP! Stop it!! If you don't shut up I'm going to end up on the S!K site to order a pocketboy!

EDIT: MoS, you're comparing a pocketboy to a laplander, right? How many teeth per inch does your pocketboy have?

My bigboy has 5.5 tpi and that is too much for anything that's much thinner than my wrist

SN, I pulled this from another thread, but I'm wondering about the part in bold, if you could expound on why that is.

Maybe stuff gets caught in the bigger gaps in the teeth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I lied. It's the Ultra Accel 240 straightand it's got 7.5tpi

96859a54197476c28c397bbeaa0bb8d8.jpg

No problem. Like I said it's good to go with everything NJ has to throw at me that I'd actually want to cut for a fire or building a shelter. This, an axe, and a belt knife and I'm set.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HK this is perfect timing!! I just got back from a camping trip that I finally got to try out my new little Laplander saw. It did great but was under powered for the larger pieces and I immediately started looking at the silky saws last night. Was leaning towards the big boy 2000, just don't like yellow haha. I had planned to start a thread later tonight asking for suggestions.... consider me subscribed to this thread!!

Watch out! You're going to get MoS and myself all riled up about Silkys (Silkies?), we may never stop :D

SN, I pulled this from another thread, but I'm wondering about the part in bold, if you could expound on why that is.
I didn't explain this very well, but I think MoS interpreted it correctly. When I've been out cleaning up branches with just my 4.7 and my bigboy, if I get to something I need to trim that is a little thicker than my finger, it's too much for one clean cut with the 4.7 and the teeth on the bigboy go "dudududududud" and just bounce over the tiny limb without cutting in. My laplander has much finer teeth (probably like smaller Silkys) and easily cuts anything even if it is thin in diameter.

Now these large teeth absolutely fly through anything that is about the thickness of my arm. Awhile back, I think it was Fancier was schooling me on saw basics. He said at least 5 teeth need to be in contact with the material to get a good cut. If I'm at 5.5 tpi then my bigboy isn't much help with anything slimmer than an inch across. From my (few months) of experience, the teeth per inch don't make a difference on fresh or dried wood, but it's all about the thickness of what you're cutting. Bigger teeth will aggressively go through big stuff where the fine teeth go smoothly through thinner branches and sticks.

I'm seriously looking at a pocketboy to replace my laplander, but I like my laplander! Like I said in the pic thread, I like that the saw locks closed and it feels so light.
My big boy has teeth exposed in the middle of the handle when it's closed, so I made a little cloth sack for it for when it's in a pack. That seems like an odd design flaw, but it was easy to fix.

Using the bigboy really is fun. It only cuts on the pull, so I have to be careful not to push it too hard, especially if it catches while pushing. I've managed to get the blade to for a shallow S shape for a split second a few times when I put too much muscle into the push. If I can glide the blade forward then give it my all on the pull, I can get into a really good rhythm. I've cut fresh pine and a variety of really dry stuff including birch and maple and black locust. It goes through it all equally smooth.

The saws in question.
fBhFsNM.jpg

With my 4.7 and some birch on the stump top.
fteA3PD.jpg

XZlI3Ek.jpg

5bUbZQt.jpg

The difference in how my Silky cuts compared to an old bow saw.
lXSiEmM.jpg

gomboy 240m 9tpi

PNW area… no real hardwood experience. I like it, but have nothing to compare to as I just did my research and didn't dick around with any other brands.

That Bigboy is huge. The Ultra Accel is perfect for in a pack and it doesn't have exposed teeth either. If I was gonna go that big I'd go KATANABOY like a real man lol

Thank you for all the responses and pictures!!

SN, you've given me some good comparisons because I know exactly how hard dry locust can get. That makes sense on the tooth skip now, thanks for explaining it further :thumbup:

So for comparison purposes, is there only the one Bahco model, the laplander? The information I'm seeing is that the laplander has a 9" blade with 7 tpi, so that would be about 230mm with medium teeth in Silky terms, right? And it cuts push and pull. I've already heard enough good things about the Silkys that I'm not considering the Bahco, but I do want to make sure I'm comparing correctly.

Redwood, great minds and all that... :D

That Bigboy is huge. The Ultra Accel is perfect for in a pack and it doesn't have exposed teeth either. If I was gonna go that big I'd go KATANABOY like a real man lol

I tried to get that katanaboy video to imbed in the first post but failed :( I did get it to link though. That thing is crazy, in a good way.

Last edited:
For comparison on size to the Laplander…. do a youtube search of Silky vs Laplander. There's a few vids there on the subject.
Seems the 210 is closest in size…..

For what it's worth the Laplander did all the heavy lifting this weekend including cutting logs 8"+ diameter...but it definitely left me wanting more. SN did I read it right that the BIGBOY2000 only cuts on the draw? Is that true of all the silky saws/just the curved blades/or redwoods up too late and he's reading at a 1st grade level?...

all silky saws only cut on the pull…

It's really quite incredible that they cut that fast only going one way...

I see now why the Silkys cut so smooth. They are designed with a blade that is ground tapered toward the spine, instead of a set-tooth design. I've serviced a lot of hollow-ground steel circular saw blades that are built in a similar manner, and also cut very smooth, so that is familiar to me.

MOS, I do like the looks of that Ultra Accel 240 with the straight blade. Looks like it might only come with 6.4 tpi/large teeth, but that actually might be fine.

all silky saws only cut on the pull…

It's really quite incredible that they cut that fast only going one way...

That's really good to know, so far I had just looked at a few reviews and hadn't seen anything mentioning that. It seems like wasted motion, but clearly they work well given their impressive reputation

You know the saying..... a wall of quotes is worth a thousand words...

The bigboy is the the biggest saw I'll ever need. For me, it pushes the boundaries of practical, but I usually don't concern myself with such things! When open, the bigboy seems huge, especially next to my laplander or a 10 inch knife, but when it's closed it is pretty packable. You can also see the teeth being exposed. The katanaboy really is something else entirely!

v2nxrYL.jpg

Thank you for all the responses and pictures!!

SN, you've given me some good comparisons because I know exactly how hard dry locust can get. That makes sense on the tooth skip now, thanks for explaining it further :thumbup:

So for comparison purposes, is there only the one Bahco model, the laplander? The information I'm seeing is that the laplander has a 9" blade with 7 tpi, so that would be about 230mm with medium teeth in Silky terms, right? And it cuts push and pull. I've already heard enough good things about the Silkys that I'm not considering the Bahco, but I do want to make sure I'm comparing correctly.
I think you got it. I've only heard of one the one model from Bahco, but I think they may offer different teeth patterns... I think.

For what it's worth the Laplander did all the heavy lifting this weekend including cutting logs 8"+ diameter...but it definitely left me wanting more. SN did I read it right that the BIGBOY2000 only cuts on the draw? Is that true of all the silky saws/just the curved blades/or redwoods up too late and he's reading at a 1st grade level?...
Your reading level is fine ;)
RiverRunner knows his stuff, he's right!

I see now why the Silkys cut so smooth. They are designed with a blade that is ground tapered toward the spine, instead of a set-tooth design. I've serviced a lot of hollow-ground steel circular saw blades that are built in a similar manner, and also cut very smooth, so that is familiar to me.

MOS, I do like the looks of that Ultra Accel 240 with the straight blade. Looks like it might only come with 6.4 tpi/large teeth, but that actually might be fine.
Yes! The spine being thinner than the teeth really makes a difference. Genius!

That's really good to know, so far I had just looked at a few reviews and hadn't seen anything mentioning that. It seems like wasted motion, but clearly they work well given their impressive reputation
That was my initial thought. "You mean for tell me that with a Silky I'm only cutting half the time?! No thanks!" <-- That was me before not being able to find a bad review about any Silky. Especially due to the length of my bigboy, that pull does enough work that setting it up by gliding the blade forward doesn't end up feeling like a waste.

Last edited:

They might've changed it over the years. Mine is 7.5 but they could've redesigned something. I love it and it's 2 locking positions.

HK this is perfect timing!! I just got back from a camping trip that I finally got to try out my new little Laplander saw. It did great but was under powered for the larger pieces and I immediately started looking at the silky saws last night. Was leaning towards the big boy 2000, just don't like yellow haha. I had planned to start a thread later tonight asking for suggestions.... consider me subscribed to this thread!!

With you here, my last outing my Laplander left me wanting more. Definitely going to take a look at the Silky's

Back