Simple Sodbuster

T.Knotts

Finished this simple little Sodbuster a few days ago and just now getting around to taking some pics. She has about a weeks worth of wear put on her as I've been carrying her around and getting some light use out her.

Every year we have a family get together in WV and we all bring something for an auction in order to raise money for the next year (to buy food and supplies and such). I usually make a knife and this is this years entry.

I wanted to make this one light and slim, maybe for a light summer time carry or a purse carry.

This is a simple sodbuster design, no liners or washers on the inside so the blade is riding directly on the G10.

OAL 6 3/8"
Close 3 1/2"
Overall thickness is just under 3/8"

Blade and spring is 3/32" O1.

Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques are encouraged. (not the greatest of pics)

That is really nice. I like sodbusters and love red knives so that is a win/win.

Love me a sodbuster, that would be nice in a little slipcase. I got to play with this a little bit the other day, I like how slim it turned out.

Very nice looking folder, at some point in time I wouldn't trying to make some folders.

Thanks all. This is my first experience with a sod buster and I'm really liking it. It's possible that it will come back home with me.

Give it a shot Scott. I am still trying to get my process refined. I usually end up using the steel of 2 knives to make one. But I think im starting to figure some of it out.

I've never had a sodbuster although every time I see one I ask myself why not. Great pattern and it looks to me that you've nailed it.

Thanks, this is my first one too...honestly the pattern never really caught my eye but after carrying and using this one I'm really liking it.

As far as patience to build one goes, I really don't think it takes anymore than doing any other knife, its just a different set of challenges. Fitting a guard on a stick tang and fitting the spring and blade probably take about the same amount of swear words to get through. My biggest problem is the kick on the blade. I can get the tang and the half stop to play well but the kick still gives me fits. Trying to get the blade tip to set down in the handle when closed just right and have the spring set flush with the handle is the challenge for me. This one sets really nice and flush in all 3 positions and closes dead center. I'm really happy with the pull, It's probably a 5 by my guess, so overall I think I made some progress (i did take 2 springs though...But only had to cut out 1 blade!!)

Back